North Coast Upgrade

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Speaking of new resorts and developments, anyone have any info on how Dream City Resort is doing? Have they broken ground/started on their development. It will be huge with thousands of residential units plus a nice shopping center. It will be located between Charamicos and the Airport along the main road to the ocean...

https://www.facebook.com/dreamcityresort/

http://dreamcityresort.com/

They are working on regulatory issues now. They are the same people who did the Ahnvee, which was done as a test to become familiar with the issues in the DR. They plan to start construction early next year. They will have several different levels of housing including villas, condos and less expensive apartment style units. The plan is ambitious and will take years to come to fruition if all goes as planned. A golf course is in the master plan, but that is years from now. They will have a sales office across from Playero in Sosua.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
good to know about eurowings, i did not know they had flights to POP.

https://www.eurowings.com/de.html

Flights in October are around € 900 for basic service.
Negotiations Air Berlin and Lufthansa are still going on.
Lufthansas subsidiaries Condor and Eurowings are likely to pick up more flights to POP and PUJ.

Thursday, September 21, 2017
Business is being smashed
Lufthansa will probably buy the bulk of Air Berlin

The insolvent airline Air Berlin goes above all to Lufthansa. This decision had been taken by the creditors' committee. A low-cost airline also takes part of the company.
According to insiders, the insolvent airline Air Berlin is to be sold to Lufthansa. "The Lufthansa gets the biggest part," said one with the process familiar. Other parts went to the British low-cost airline EasyJet, another part to the Thomas Cook subsidiary Condor. The creditor committee had agreed to this, as a second person of the news agency Reuters confirmed. The potential buyers of the insolvent airline Air Berlin are to be announced on Monday, Air Berlin announced.
According to insiders, the negotiations will continue until 12 October. As a result, there will be no final decision in the Air Berlin Supervisory Board on buyers on Monday. The German market leader could, among other things, take over the Air Berlin subsidiary Niki, as media reported. A selection of the bidders and the conclusion of transactions, however, would depend on the approval of the Supervisory Board of Air Berlin, which would be discussed on 25 September and then be informed of the status of the proceedings. The separate bidding process for Air Berlin Technik is to be extended. Bids are still possible until 6 October.
Lufthansa wants to have half a fleet
The lossy airline had filed for bankruptcy in mid-August, after the major shareholder Etiahd had excluded further financial support. By Friday, at least six deals had been received for the entire airline or parts thereof. Niki was one of the most popular parts of Air Berlin. In the long run the bidders had little interest.
MORE ON THE SUBJECT

Lufthansa's Chief Executive Officer Carsten Spohr had announced on Wednesday evening that the group wanted to buy the 38 already booked mid-range machines and 20 to 40 other airliners from Air Berlin. If so, Lufthansa would take over half of the fleet. "We believe we can soon welcome up to 3,000 new employees," Spohr said. Condor had teamed up with the Niki founder, the former racing driver Niki Lauda. Easyjet is interested in short and medium-haul routes.

Air Berlin has a total of more than 8000 employees and 144 aircraft. 38 of them including crews, Eurowings already leased, the Lufthansa-Billtendochter also advertises new staff. The bidders included the British Airways and Iberia mother IAG, the International Airlines Group. Offers were also received by the entrepreneurs Utz Claassen, Hans Rudolf Wöhrl and belatedly also by Jonathan Pang, the Chinese operator of the airport Parchim.

Source: n-tv.de, rpe / rts / dpa
http://www.n-tv.de/wirtschaft/Lufthansa-kauft-wohl-Grossteil-von-Air-Berlin-article20046544.html

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The Abinaders are the original owners of the property, the subsequent franchises were only leasees of the family.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Another new large resort to be inaugurated for Playa Dorado in December...

Santo Domingo.-President Danilo Medina on Mon. met in the National Palace with business leaders from Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata, to discuss the north coast’s leading tourism destination.

Present in the meeting were Hoteles Hodelpa president Edmundo Aja and vice president José Hernández; developers Oscar Villanueva and Raúl Rizek and north region Tourism deputy minister Julio Almonte.

The hoteliers and developers unveiled their project Emotions Hodelpa,at Playa Dorada, being built at a cost of US$50 million. The all-Inclusive 475-room resort to be inaugurated in December features several restaurants, swimming pools, bars, spa, event salon and all the amenities expected of a luxury resort.

The hoteliers said they have an investment portfolio for the North Coast’s tourism sector, starting with the Emotions Hodelpa, to continue with other projects which they affirm will positively impact the destination.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/touri...ss-leaders-eye-big-plans-for-the-north-coast/

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The 24 October 2017 edition of DR1 Travel News mentioned the new Aldiana Club Cabarete planning for a targeted 1 May 2018 grand opening. How is this project currently being received by locals, and what are the anticipated economic and environmental results attached to this project?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think it's just a rehab of an existing property... not an additional hotel capacity.
Big though... 600 beds, I think.

Should revitalize some jobs...
I know I'm not directly answering your question...

These are the people associated with Thos Cook .... Cook bought a piece of the parent recently.
I hope I got it right this time -- !!
I jumbled Thompson and Thos Cook before

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The 24 October 2017 edition of DR1 Travel News mentioned the new Aldiana Club Cabarete planning for a targeted 1 May 2018 grand opening. How is this project currently being received by locals, and what are the anticipated economic and environmental results attached to this project?

I don't think many local Dominicans are paying much attention to it, as it is out of sight, in the no-man's-land between Cabarete and Sosua. I should imagine the economic benefits might be that it will employ a few people and bring some more travellers through POP airport. Because of its remote location, I doubt many guests will stray far from the hotel

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The article states 320 4 star accomodations. Anything is better than vacant property.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
And if they stay on schedule they will open in the early part of "low" season...Great planning but they will have 6 months to iron out the wrinkles before high season starts.

Bob K

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
German Group Aldiana Announces Opening of New Hotel in Cabarete

German Group Aldiana Announces Opening of New Hotel in Cabarete

German-Group-Aldiana-Announces-Opening-of-New-Hotel-in-Cabarete.jpg

The German hotel chain Aldiana will open a 320-room hotel in Cabarete, a popular tourism destination in the country’s Atlantic coast. It is a popular spot for national and international windsurfers, situated very close to Puerto Plata’s international airport.

The all-inclusive facility will now opérate in the old “Sol de Plata” hotel, an oceanfront hotel that has been completely refurbished. The hotel features restaurants, an amphitheater, swimming pools, beach, bars, spa, event halls, as well as sports and other facilities. Aldiana is a German hotel chain that also operates its own tour operator. Its general manager is Taner Madenlioglu.

Source: Access DR

Nov 7, 2017

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How long of a heyday, and what type of experience did the old “Sol de Plata” hotel enjoy in it's time?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Knowing how things go here. It seam people are dis. because the plan ahead. Better to be early then late. What do you do with guest that come with no room. Promote the North Coast.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you look back in this thread you'll see that Thomson Vacations bought into this Adiana Group recently

Thomson or Thos Cook -- they confuse me... Cook, I think