Opening a Bank Account. Mucho Problemo!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To the OP, are you a US citizen? The reason I ask is that a friend of mine is dual nationality, US and Icelandic. He tried to open a Popular account with his US passport and got the similar run around you did.

I told him to try in another branch but with his Icelandic passport. He walked out of that branch a while later with an account with them.

we are zeroing in on the problem......

In more than one financial institution I have had to swear no USA affiliation

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think the main part of this problem is not having residency. If you have a Cedula, it's relatively easy to open a bank account. If you don't, then it's hard, and it's probably going to become much harder. As has been said many many times on DR1, if you're intending to live here and have bank accounts, cars, property, then you need to get residency.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
My wife (Dominican Citizen) opened an account (in November) and I am a co-owner. All I had to provide was my passport. I just signed and that was that. Got everything done on the same day and in less than 1 hour and I am not even a resident :nervous:

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Let me spell frustration, inability, ineptness and stupidity in one single phrase; Dominican banking/Dominican Financial Institutions.

These folks have the ability to make a mountain out of nothing. Yes, the IRS and Uncle Sam have made it a torture, yes drug money and laundering are part of it but, most of it, its plain stupidity on these people managing the banks.

These people can not get pass the simple fact that US Passport numbers would change every time a new/replacement passport is issued. Do not try to make sense of them pass that point, stupidity at its best!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In my opinion the 4th world standard of banking in the Dominican Republic will be the downfall of the country and one reason why people launder money in the first place, because the DR males it so hard to legally move legally earned money.
I opened my Ban Reservas in about an hour, peso account, but it is now locked (Don't take a vacation). Well I was only using it for food and utilities but it's a hassle to go back to unlock.

Many landlords in DR only deal in folding cash, dollars mainly - wonder why ? So the banking system makes it easier to avoid paying DR taxes when people deal in cash since it's way too hard to track.
But of course in DR sometimes it is guilty until you prove you are innocent - with a lot of grief

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I read all these stories about problems opening bank accounts at local branches and it appears I have been very fortunate in my dealings with Scotiabank.

Try them.

Ring them at the given numbers below and ask to speak to someone in English and explain your needs.

http://www.scotiabank.com/do/es/0,,7113,00.html

The advantages of Scotiabank are the lack of queues for day to day banking compared to other banks, personal service and a secure bank backed up by the parent bank plus 20k daily withdrawal using ATM's. I hold both US dollar and peso accounts with Scotiabank.

When we opened our joint account at POP Scotiabank all they required from me was a letter of introduction from our Scotiabank Manager in Nova Scotia. After that we had tea (provided by Scotiabank) and the account was opened. A no brainer; tea was good as well.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When we opened our joint account at POP Scotiabank all they required from me was a letter of introduction from our Scotiabank Manager in Nova Scotia. After that we had tea (provided by Scotiabank) and the account was opened. A no brainer; tea was good as well.

They probably deducted 500 pesos from your account for the tea

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
In my opinion the 4th world standard of banking in the Dominican Republic will be the downfall of the country and one reason why people launder money in the first place, because the DR males it so hard to legally move legally earned money.
I opened my Ban Reservas in about an hour, peso account, but it is now locked (Don't take a vacation). Well I was only using it for food and utilities but it's a hassle to go back to unlock.

Many landlords in DR only deal in folding cash, dollars mainly - wonder why ? So the banking system makes it easier to avoid paying DR taxes when people deal in cash since it's way too hard to track.
But of course in DR sometimes it is guilty until you prove you are innocent - with a lot of grief

I openned by bank acct at BHD IN 2010 , both a dollar acct and a peso acct. All I had was a pay statement and showed them my online acct at RBC with a healthy balance. Opened and active in about 3 hours. I used my passport as I wasn't a resident. When I received my residency my wife and I went into the bank and had the accts registered under my cedula. None of this was an issue as my wife already had accts there. The acct was never frozen even though I only used for about 3 weeks for two years. I was regularly deposited money so perhaps that counts as being active. My wife is also known to be pretty demanding at wanting to know about justification for every peso they took for a fee, so maybe they treated me with kidgloves. All I know is I get treated very well at the bank, by tellers and bankers.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

I opened my account corresponding from abroad where I also had a Scotia account with letters from my Scotia account there and my bank in UK.

They are so customer friendly in DR.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I am from the states, don't have residency and have had my dollars account at Ban Reservas for 11 years. At one point because of the pressures from the states I had to go into an office and sign a doc. (about 5 years ago I think).
When I actually had to physically go into a branch office I thought about opening an account at BHD or Santa Cruz but now I almost never have to enter a branch and if I do have the need I know a branch here in Santiago and also one in the capital that almost never have a line.
F.Y.I. Wells Fargo in the states has what is called a remittance service where I can send monies to myself to a BHD branch office for about $7.00 U.S. - You have to physically be in a Wells Fargo branch office the first time you send the $$.

lacyla123

Oct 19, 2016
Does anyone have experience with Banco Progreso? Have heard they're not as painful in setting up bank accounts

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Like any of the others .... it seems to depend.

Yes, I have had an easy time at Progreso.... but I was introduced....

Find someone to refer you. if you can

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I have accounts at BPD, BR and BHD. None of them was a problem to open. Some paperwork, yes but nothing extraordinary.

Could it be that they make it more complicated for US citizens than for Europeans because of US rules?

That is true. They are trying to keep the money laundering to a minimum. I was told to get a Dominican to open the account with you.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Naturally enough , the criticism here is aimed at DR banks.

Try the Cayman Islands these days - or Bermuda....
the hurdle is higher everywhere you go...
especially for non-residents in the two I cite above..

My challenge came to me after more than 20 yrs as a client....
a non-resident was what raised the flag

Not a DR bank.....different country altogether

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
My wife (Dominican Citizen) opened an account (in November) and I am a co-owner. All I had to provide was my passport. I just signed and that was that. Got everything done on the same day and in less than 1 hour and I am not even a resident :nervous:

Yes, that is all that is required. A RD Wife does the trick!
Like I said a letter from your Bank Manager in a previous location is also appreciated.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes, that is all that is required. A RD Wife does the trick!
Like I said a letter from your Bank Manager in a previous location is also appreciated.
....yes a Dominican wife makes a BIG difference... but like I said if you dont need a bank ,dont play with those people......

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Banreservas is the worst

I post this in the North Coast Forum because this is where we live. I hope I got it right!!!

A little history. My wife and I are going on 11 years living here on the North Coast. We are on our 3 Perm Residencea and it is valid. My wife opened a bank account at Banreservas a bunch of years ago. I’m not gonna get into all the incompetence going on there. I mean if you don’t “use” your account even though it has a substantial amount of money deposited, they closed the account and kept the money!!! LOL!!! Well…after a few “hoops” to jump through all is well with that today. It was x-mas time…..you know?
Anyways, almost two months ago she made an attempt to open another account at Banco Popular (POP location at the square). She was provided with a very long list of things to provide them. She got all the stuff together and emailed attachments to the officer at the bank…at their request. Back and forth they have been going around and around for weeks and weeks. Each time they want something different or new, and even ask for the same stuff she already provided. Today she went to the bank in person, all original paperwork in hand, thinking that this officer may not know how to open an attachment from an email. Finally the officer asked for MORE paperwork, translated and notarized! Whats up with these people? Frustrated she left and said she will put her substantial amount of money someplace else. I don’t get it. I have heard folks here, in another thread someplace, say to try another branch….another bank. Grrrrrr.......I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!!!

Hi,

first of all; Banreservas is the worst of all banks. All Government salary's are handled with this Bank and therefor closed to a million people are "forced" to open an account there. Hardly any Dominican that is not affiliated to the Government want even considering open an account there. Around the 25th of each month, when Gov. Salary's are paid there are literately hundreds of people in line and this makes banking possible. To open a new account; Popular is the worst and BHD the Best. Easiest way is to go with somebody that already has a BHD Account and visit together his Branch and Representative.

BelgianMik

Jul 9, 2015
I opened a bank account when I came here and didn't have a problem (banreserva). My mother lives in Belgium, only comes here on holiday and opened a bank account with banreserva without a problem 2 years ago. And a friend of hers who came here on holiday twice also opened a bank account with banreserva 6 months ago. Both of them don't have residencia or anything.

Ah, and maybe a small hint for the people who live in Puerto Plata and have to do something in Banreserva: the banreserva close to parque central is always busy, lot of people, lot of waiting
-> I always go to the banreserva in Playa Dorada, almost never people there, went there this morning and I was in and out in less then 10 minutes.

Feb 7, 2007
Banco popular wanted income tax statements from home nightmare..called my lawyer she directed me too Santa Cruz  hr later two accounts and my account is inactive for 9 months a yr , no problems never locked account..

After 6 months inactivity they charge you a monthly 100 pesos fee. If you have two accounts just move 1 dollar or 50 pesos between the two accounts, once per month, using internet banking.

gicamuci

Apr 15, 2014
If you have two accounts just move 1 dollar or 50 pesos between the two accounts, once per month, using internet banking.

Exactly what I am doing only each 5 months.
We are not living in DR yet and we come and stay for a max of 3 weeks at a time. In 2015 we opened our DOP and US accounts at BSC Sosua branch in an hour or so. They were asking only for a recommendation letter from one of our other banks in Canada and sure enough the passports. ATM cards came in later (2 weeks) from Santo Domingo and we actually picked them up at the Sosua branch next trip we had to Sosua (after 6 months if I remember right). I used only once the debit card as a VISA for some online thing and was pleasantly surprised when someone from BSC called my cell in Canada, asking me if it was me indeed that used the card online.