Driving while Gringo (Police corruption alive and well in SD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
100mph?

Sorry, I'm calling baloney.

But, plesase, for MY safety please stay off the roads. I'll even supply some yarn for knitting...

Yes, 100 mph. There's idiots here who brag about it.

YOUR safety? I stay off of the roads for MY safety.

And in all my responses to you, I have never responded to you in condescending manner. So, I'll just ignore the part about the yarn for knitting.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016

And in all my responses to you, I have never responded to you in condescending manner. So, I'll just ignore the part about the yarn for knitting.

Jeez eh. He almost sounds Canadian. Apologizing before he says you're full of ****.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

You have a radar gun? Who knew?

I still call shenanigans.

The DR does a fine job putting in speedbumps in problem areas. If this alleged road has none then you and your neighbors have not done your civic duty and asked for them to be installed. You have some responsibility for you and your neighbor's safety. If in the light of proven unsafe driving with "100mph speeders" ( :cheeky: ) you've just sat on your hands, then you have been morally negligent.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
You have a radar gun? Who knew?

I still call shenanigans.

The DR does a fine job putting in speedbumps in problem areas. If this alleged road has none then you and your neighbors have not done your civic duty and asked for them to be installed. You have some responsibility for you and your neighbor's safety. If in the light of proven unsafe driving with "100mph speeders" ( :cheeky: ) you've just sat on your hands, then you have been morally negligent.

Last night front of hermano's villar on independencia some young idiot doing a burnout (daddy must buy his tires) enough tire smoke that it lasted the entire stop light cycle. was almost funny when he started crabbing sideways. Also the rash of street races here in Santo Domingo. yea they are hitting a 100. mostly dumb asses on moto's

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Last night front of hermano's villar on independencia some young idiot doing a burnout (daddy must buy his tires) enough tire smoke that it lasted the entire stop light cycle. was almost funny when he started crabbing sideways. Also the rash of street races here in Santo Domingo. yea they are hitting a 100. mostly dumb asses on moto's
100mph is not 100kmh.

Did you report them? Take tag numbers? Photos? Videos?

Street races are certainly bad mojo but are not limited to the DR. Nor are they on every street. Citizens and residents have a responsibility to help stop unsafe driving. We certainly do. We've stopped at a police station or called in unsafe driving, drunks and whacked motos and surprisingly enough the cops do something.

Ny point is, yes, the stats look bad for driving in the DR. But stats can deceive. And one needs to look behind the stats...like I have.

There are ways to mitigate the danger of driving on Dominican roads, particularly on a motorcycle, and I wrote a short eBook about it I give away gratis. One can choose to implement these mitigation strategies when they drive, drive not implementing these strategies, or stay off the roads and complain.

We all have choices. I do understand howling at the moon is one.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013

yeah but, yeah but, yeah but, you gotta admit. That's pretty funny.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I know I'm old. Only been here since 2002. I try do not drive at knight or come home before dusk. Been stopped many times. Show them my Ced, Res. card. Copy of my passport , Dom. Dri, Lic. Ins card., Copy of my Met. They sorry, Your Dom. Just carry your papers. I drive a old Pajjo. I don't stop for road block or Amet any more. However I was walking across the street in Cab. Leaving the Chi. Rest. Car coming from Jannet's A block Down . Another From the traffic light, going slow. Moto came flying around the car from the light , Hit me. You don't have to drive or be drunk to get hurt here.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
I know I'm old. Only been here since 2002. I try do not drive at knight or come home before dusk. Been stopped many times. Show them my Ced, Res. card. Copy of my passport , Dom. Dri, Lic. Ins card., Copy of my Met. They sorry, Your Dom. Just carry your papers. I drive a old Pajjo. I don't stop for road block or Amet any more. However I was walking across the street in Cab. Leaving the Chi. Rest. Car coming from Jannet's A block Down . Another From the traffic light, going slow. Moto came flying around the car from the light , Hit me. You don't have to drive or be drunk to get hurt here.

Which is why you look both ways when crossing a 1 way street. Also keep your eyes open for moto's on the sidewalk.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Which is why you look both ways when crossing a 1 way street. Also keep your eyes open for moto's on the sidewalk.

i don't know if anyone has seen this who lives outside of POP, but a new paradigm has come into being here, wherein motorcycle riders just ride on whichever side of the road they feel like. it is a regular occurence to see a motorcycle going down the road, and another going the opposite way, between him and the kerb. it seems to be all the rage these days here, and there seems to be no remedy.

except, of course, a few of those tools getting killed by a car..

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
i don't know if anyone has seen this who lives outside of POP, but a new paradigm has come into being here, wherein motorcycle riders just ride on whichever side of the road they feel like. it is a regular occurence to see a motorcycle going down the road, and another going the opposite way, between him and the kerb. it seems to be all the rage these days here, and there seems to be no remedy.

except, of course, a few of those tools getting killed by a car..

happens all over the country. And the cops are among the fools who do so. Why respect the law when the cops don't!

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Stopped last saturday night, was legitimate I had a headlight out on the passenger side, only on the high beam. Now will get it fixed but what frosted me was I pointed out that the car in front of me had no tail lights, cops answer as he wrote my ticket was there was only one of him and he was busy with me. traffic seemed to flow fine without him messing it up, while he was busy with me. Also he did not seem to want money and I did not offer.

But guess I should be happy that AMET was out after dark directing traffic even though the stop light was working fine on Independencia at clincia abreu.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
happens all over the country. And the cops are among the fools who do so. Why respect the law when the cops don't!

it seems to be another new genius idea, because i have only seen it in the last year or so. also, a guy who is turning left at an intersection turns in on the left apex, where the cars turning right should be. what is that?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Left turns from the right lane...
or 'side by side' left turns

I see it Cabrera where is no traffic problem

Wrong way Wayne - the moto man?
all over the place and they get furious if you don't yield right of way to them

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Stopped last saturday night, was legitimate I had a headlight out on the passenger side, only on the high beam. Now will get it fixed but what frosted me was I pointed out that the car in front of me had no tail lights, cops answer as he wrote my ticket was there was only one of him and he was busy with me. traffic seemed to flow fine without him messing it up, while he was busy with me. Also he did not seem to want money and I did not offer.

But guess I should be happy that AMET was out after dark directing traffic even though the stop light was working fine on Independencia at clincia abreu.

stopped last Saturday and still not fixed yet ......

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
100mph?

Sorry, I'm calling baloney.

But, plesase, for MY safety please stay off the roads. I'll even supply some yarn for knitting...

Maybe he lives in Santo Domingo. There have been reported here on DR1, several incidences of fatal high speed crashes in that town. Surely not the only two or three times someone has taken it over 100mph.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Left turns from the right lane...
or 'side by side' left turns

I see it Cabrera where is no traffic problem

Wrong way Wayne - the moto man?
all over the place and they get furious if you don't yield right of way to them

i guess it is everywhere then. bad ideas travel fast..

Status
Not open for further replies.