Tribute to African-Americans in Samana

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Yes. I truly believe that self-loathing is a challenge all African peoples who lived during the aftermath of colonization, enslavement, segregation, and Jim Crow had to deal with at some point. People of color were considered inferior, and, at some times in our history, sub-human. The darker you were, the more sub-human, the more animal-like, the more ignorant and incapable of intellectual achievement. It was an intentional degrading by the 'others' to sublimate, and it worked! Dominicans are not the only people of the diaspora who did not want that label.

I agree. I believe Dominican have an extra layer because of their history with Haiti.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We have several African Americans who post regularly who should take a lesson from Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No "Excuses", just REALITY!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We have several African Americans who post regularly who should take a lesson from Ron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No "Excuses", just REALITY!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

i am unaware of the identities of the African Americans that post here who suffer from self-loathing. speaking for myself and those whom i know, being ashamed of being black is not an emotion which we experience.. we are aware of certain privileges we lose by being black, but we are happy with just who we are, and we never wish we were you. the fact that we speak out against racism does not mean that we suffer from self loathing. you need to understand the social construct a little better before you pontificate.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Lots of true Rubios/as in Jarabacoa, but in general I'd have to agree that Rubio is used as a decriptive adjective to identify a White skinned non-gringo. I've only heard mi negra /negro used as a term of affection.

True! In the Cibao region there are many blue eyed, green eyed white Dominicans. What I love about
the DR is that no matter whether you are black, white or mixed, you are Dominican. Unlike the US
where you are labeled by color and ethnicity instead of saying they are all Americans.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
let's all chip in and buy CCCologne some shoe polish and drop him off in Samana for a 'total immersion' session
just a few days

or Ferguson maybe.

he can do his Al Jolson imitation..........

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
let's all chip in and buy CCCologne some shoe polish and drop him off in Samana for a 'total immersion' session
just a few days

or Ferguson maybe.

he can do his Al Jolson imitation..........

hahahahaha

[video=youtube;WRK03q76GKU]x[/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
IF "it" RUBBED OFF, I'D LOOK LIKE GORGON!!!!!

"Maaaaaaaaaaaaaa-a-Maaaaaaaame, My Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa=a=Maaaaaaaaaaaaame"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
IF "it" RUBBED OFF, I'D LOOK LIKE GORGON!!!!!

"Maaaaaaaaaaaaaa-a-Maaaaaaaame, My Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa=a=Maaaaaaaaaaaaame"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

you wish...

then again, if you looked right below the waist, you would know you are not the gorgon.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I live in Samana and nobody identifies themselves with hyphens or as 'African-American.'

No little statuettes or trinkets identifiable with Africa being sold by vendors. No special day set aside for Kwanzaa celebrations. No African-American food carts tucked along the streets. Nada.

Whatever concept you're selling might work better in Haiti because the Dominicans I talk to aren't buying it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Can you sleep at night ?

I live in Samana and nobody identifies themselves with hyphens or as 'African-American.'

No little statuettes or trinkets identifiable with Africa being sold by vendors. No special day set aside for Kwanzaa celebrations. No African-American food carts tucked along the streets. Nada.

Whatever concept you're selling might work better in Haiti because the Dominicans I talk to aren't buying it.

All your posts lead to the same place :)

I sense the end of this thread.

images

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Back then, they considered the DR to be no better than dogs and did not want to mix hatian blood with DR.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
True! In the Cibao region there are many blue eyed, green eyed white Dominicans. What I love about
the DR is that no matter whether you are black, white or mixed, you are Dominican. Unlike the US
where you are labeled by color and ethnicity instead of saying they are all Americans.

Now this is funny!!!!

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
It took me quite some time to adjust to how Dominicans view race and ethnicity. I am an African-American and was in college during the sixties at the height of the Civil Rights Movement. When I first visited the DR about 14 years ago it was the first time I had been confronted with the reality that not every culture viewed ethnicity in the same way and that the crucible of our historical experience profoundly shapes our prospective. I know, it shouldn't have taken me so long to come to that, but the experience of race in America for a black man is just that deep. There are a lot of things that I have learned from Dominicans over the years. This adaptation has changed how I view race and ethnicity forever. I know that there is, nevertheless, a great deal of racism and racial self-loathing among my Dominican brothers. But, before imposing the 'racist' label we must not impose the context of our own experiences on Dominicans whose experience and history is total different.

Now this is sad.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What is so funny about it!!

I didnt see the fun part either although I thought your comment was untrue. American may label themselves differently because they have a different history (unlike Dominican I think, but I could be wrong), but, at the end of the day, they all Americans. It is similar to cibaenos who seem to be quick to mention it in the presence of other Dominicans.

Every single time, I met an American outside of the US, they were proudly Americans. One two ooccasions, my college friends came to Paris, and each and every time, we ran into another American, they would almost fall into each other arms, just happy to meet another countryman.

Actually, it is their strenght (in my opinion).

Last edited: