Tribute to African-Americans in Samana

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I didnt see the fun part either although I thought your comment was untrue. American may label themselves differently because they have a different history (unlike Dominican I think, but I could be wrong), but, at the end of the day, they all Americans. It is similar to cibaenos who seem to be quick to mention it in the presence of other Dominicans.

Every single time, I met an American outside of the US, they were proudly Americans. One two ooccasions, my college friends came to Paris, and each and every time, we ran into another American, they would almost fall into each other arms, just happy to meet another countryman.

Actually, it is their strenght (in my opinion).

Aida, you have never heard of a Dominican being labeled a white Dominican or Black Dominican. In the
DR whether black, white or mixed, you are Dominican. I know because I am Dominican.

In the US it's not so. You are labeled an African American or from the country you are from EXCEPT
whites, European(anglo-saxons) etc.

Me, I am labeled a Dominican- American and yourself, an African-American (even though you are
from France) and those from Cuba are labeled Cuban-Americans, etc.

This is what I am referring to.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Aida, you have never heard of a Dominican being labeled a white Dominican or Black Dominican. In the
DR whether black, white or mixed, you are Dominican. I know because I am Dominican.

In the US it's not so. You are labeled an African American or from the country you are from EXCEPT whites.
European(anglo-saxons) etc.

Me, I am labeled a Dominican- American and yourself, an African-American (even though you are

There is a labeling among Dominican, it is just done everyday, morena, rubia, etc... :) My point is that African-American, Italian-American, Japanese-American have that label cause their respective history in America is very different (unlike Dominicans).

By the way, I was NEVER labeled African-Americans, even by African-Americans themselves, but my children are (which is understandable, unlike me, they are Americans).

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

In the US it's not so. You are labeled an African American or from the country you are from EXCEPT
whites, European(anglo-saxons) etc.

This is a poor comparison. Not only do dominicans and african americans have different histories, the Dominican Republic is nowhere near as racially diverse as the US. I never get why people try to compare the two populations in racial discussions like this.

It's very easy for those in a racially/culturally homogeneous country to value nationality above all else. Not so when your country is a melting-pot of such. There's really no comparison.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This is a poor comparison. Not only do dominicans and african americans have different histories, the Dominican Republic is nowhere near as racially diverse as the US. I never get why people try to compare the two populations in racial discussions like this.

It's very easy for those in a racially/culturally homogeneous country to value nationality above all else. Not so when your country is a melting-pot of such. There's really no comparison.

I agree, no comparison. Biting my tongue not to continue with my perceptions, but since discussions of race are not permitted in DR1 regular forums I will control myself. :)

And yes, that is a warning to members to stay away from any more racial discussion in this thread, which is about African Americans who settled in Samana.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree, no comparison. Biting my tongue not to continue with my perceptions, but since discussions of race are not permitted in DR1 regular forums I will control myself. :)

And yes, that is a warning to members to stay away from any more racial discussion in this thread, which is about African Americans who settled in Samana.

Thread has gone off topic. Any more posts not related to American blacks in Samana will be deleted too.

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
you can hear the dialect of these people

sounds like a cross mix between Gullah/Bahamian and the Dominican dialect

[video=youtube;HddZn8TMzv0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HddZn8TMzv0[/video]

Dominicanese

Sep 1, 2015
here's another one

[video=youtube;3oDgbDGxI4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oDgbDGxI4s[/video]

honestly, it sounds like a cross mix between a West Indian (from the Dominican Spanish influences) and a African American accent, kinna like gullah and Bahamian