How do you see a gringo?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Funny how the posts about those fat white gringas with young morenos on motoconchos pass unchallenged, yet when the tables are turned...

rafael - a relationship between a 43 year old man and a 29 year old woman is no way near what what Jackieboo is referring to.

Sep 19, 2005
dom scotty...I know from dating my gf for the last 16 months that the people who live in the barrios for the most part think any american coming down to the DR is rich........I bet it would take a long time for people to relax that concept...and if they did , it would probably be just for an individual they know well.

well you know the word thats gets thrown around alot....usually by people living in then DR....DOM YORKER.......sounds like dumb yorker ....is that by accident? ha ha ha ha But I guess thats not an expat though.. thats a dominican who lives in new england basically, and flaunts it as a big shot when they go back.

they only thing I find really funny is all the girls who go to the resort areas getting corn rows in their hair...............thats really streotypical.

bob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i tell you one thing, right? i sit in a nice restaurant with my novio's familia (all except papa speak english). my boy's sis by an accident pushes her glass, waters spills on the table. papa (he makes sure he talks to me slowly and lound, it DOES help!) tells me, pointing at her: "no mas bebido". i, absentmindendly try to repeat: " no mas guebido". everyone rolled with laughter and i went very red in the face. my familia nueva laughs at me a lot when i try out my three-month old spanish....

May 31, 2005
I was at a restaurant in the malecon with my aunt and cousin having some drinks. With my young aunt I might add. We looked like three amigas. This old grandfather type gringo comes up to us and wants to buy all of our drinks and sit with us. I did not insult the poor guy but we just wanted to laught because we were there to enjoy each others company and to talk about girls stuff. No offense to old grandfather type gringos but please... Not all young Dominican women want to go out with you or sit with you just because you offer to pay for our drinks. We can pay for our drinks. Thank you very much. That is the same reason why we went there on our own. To have some alone time just the girls without the men. jajajajajaja. That was funny. He was cute in a grandfatherly type of way. He kind of reminded me of my grandfather. That is why we were not so hard on the poor guy. We told him that we were expecting our boyfriends any time now and he just disappeared.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If Jackieboo is referring to 65 year old gringos with 14 year old Dominicanas that is child abuse, there is no other word for it. It isn't merely pathetic, it's abusive. But I think Dominican Scotty wanted to keep this thread 'light' and that part of it isn't a light subject..........

What do gringos do that I find funny? Very little, these days. I used to find the believing that ma?ana really did mean tomorrow mildly amusing; now I wonder just how long it takes some people to cotton on.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't forget PC!

chiri: Funny how the posts about those fat white gringas with young morenos on motoconchos pass unchallenged

that is chiri, because women are not "fat", they are "weight-challenged". they are not "white" but "fashionably pale". they are not "gringas" but "of foreign origin". and they do ride not "motoconchos" but "mototaxi".

and most of all - they do not hang out with young morenos - they consciously choose to ignore the obsolete and passe relationship rules, they free themselves from the confinement of convenances and establish free and sensual carnal bond with young man. it is a liaison not corrupted by a suburb-mentality protocol, it is a connection that is above and beyond age, race and culture differences....

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Carry a couple of bottles of Brugal

when I was in the DR in August we went on a Zona Colonial tour and a guide found us and offered to take us around the zone. He talked really fast and kept telling us we were in no obligation to pay him but if we enjoyed the tour we could tip him. He was sooo good at what he did that we gladly tipped him. but yes many do that in hopes that they would be tipped for their help, like u said it makes people feel guilty if they don't tip after this person so nicely offered to help you.

I hit a pothole and broke a tire. Before I had a chance to even assess the situation several Dominicans rushed to my aid. They got their hands dirty and got me going. Non of them asked for a thing. I smiled....went into my jeepeta and handed them a small bottle each of their favorite..... Brugal! Man they were so happy!

Now, I just carry a few small bottles of Brugal just for such times. It doesn't cost much, doesn't look like you are a stupid gringo and places you in a good light with Dominicans.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
So correct...Dom Yorks

dom scotty...I know from dating my gf for the last 16 months that the people who live in the barrios for the most part think any american coming down to the DR is rich........I bet it would take a long time for people to relax that concept...and if they did , it would probably be just for an individual they know well.

well you know the word thats gets thrown around alot....usually by people living in then DR....DOM YORKER.......sounds like dumb yorker ....is that by accident? ha ha ha ha But I guess thats not an expat though.. thats a dominican who lives in new england basically, and flaunts it as a big shot when they go back.

they only thing I find really funny is all the girls who go to the resort areas getting corn rows in their hair...............thats really streotypical.

Some people know that I own a couple of businesses in the Dominican Republic. My partners are not gringos, (gosh no way). They are Dominicans I have known for many, many years. I consider them as "my family".

Every year as my business prepares for Samana Santa my family braces for the "Dom Yorks" and their crazy manner in which they invade "their country" using assualtive and beligerent "Spanglish" intentionally spoken that way in a way to belittle the "native Dominicans" and attempt to intimidate and confuse them. My family has VISAS to the US and travel to the US several times a year for business usually. They later laugh as they pretend to be " Dom Yorks" and joke about the "Dom Yorks" banging on the counter and damanding this and ordering that. Telling everyone that they will buy the whole place with the money in their pocket. Most native Dominicans view Dom Yorks as a joke and are the brunt of conversations more often then gringos during their game of dominoes.

franco-da-chef

Oct 5, 2006

Some people know that I own a couple of businesses in the Dominican Republic. My partners are not gringos, (gosh no way). They are Dominicans I have known for many, many years. I consider them as "my family".

Every year as my business prepares for Samana Santa my family braces for the "Dom Yorks" and their crazy manner in which they invade "their country" using assualtive and beligerent "Spanglish" intentionally spoken that way in a way to belittle the "native Dominicans" and attempt to intimidate and confuse them. My family has VISAS to the US and travel to the US several times a year for business usually. They later laugh as they pretend to be " Dom Yorks" and joke about the "Dom Yorks" banging on the counter and damanding this and ordering that. Telling everyone that they will buy the whole place with the money in their pocket. Most native Dominicans view Dom Yorks as a joke and are the brunt of conversations more often then gringos during their game of dominoes.

Great post laura, it is sad but it is the truth!

Last edited:

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I figured I would try a thread. I always wondered how gringos that either live here as ex-pats, fugitives, or tourists view each other. What do we do that ****es each other off? What do we do that ****es off our hosts, the Dominicans? What do we find comical about what a gringo does or says? What do we do that amuses Dominicans??

This is meant to be a fun thread so please let's keep it light!

What is this aversion to ?heavy? topics on this board? If we?re to communicate via this medium then why are we being censured and told we can only discuss light topics? Where do you suggest we discuss issues that are on our minds? Open a new thread entitled ?heavy topic do not read if you?re sensitive to how people really feel??

Your original post did direct us to keep it light however you did as what p****ed us off. If you don?t want to know what pives us then why even bother starting a thread?

Sep 19, 2005
jack, I think I follow dom scottys thought when he posted that....sometimes its interesting when we inject humorous subjects into a pool of peoples minds and it is highly likely that what follows is a lot of ancedotes of whats going on out there. It has the potential to be an enlightning thread about all kinds of situational things that amuse and distract us. The point about keeping it light, is basically to politely try and ward off off shoot fights that get personal and kill an other wise interseting thread. At least to the original poster it was thought to be interesting...and if it isnt to everyone else it dies off slowly...not harm to anyone.

It only take two hard heads to trade 3 or 4 escalating barbs back and forth before a mod comes in an says enough.....

What I thin is the mad should should bad those TWO posters from that thread, instead of kill the thread for everyone else............

If there is something on your mind , start a thread, and make it known how you feel. Lets everyone get a crack at your way of thinking...hopefully it wont get PERSONAL..... and maybe someone gets a little wiser..

peoples opinions are constantly developing....seldom if ever...even to the super die hard hard head...are they stagnant

I really enjoyed a few threads about what dominicans do that really make you say HMMMMMM.

this is a gringo-a... thread of similar concept the way i see it...

take care

bob

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
after reading all this thread i really want to sum it all up...gringo is a diragatory word. we are extranjeros. i feel that most the ex-pats living here are either wanted or unwanted in their homelands.

two things tick me off. first all the self rightous people living here and trying to inflict their misguided, tainted, self-serving morals and principles on a culture that they dont understand. second, the main thing that most tourist and ex-pats seem to ignore is that we are all guests in this country and can be asked to leave at any time no matter who you know or what you own....
.....an after thought, so what about the 50+ dominicans that have 20 some year old wives, how does that fit into the scheme?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Not being censored

What is this aversion to ?heavy? topics on this board? If we?re to communicate via this medium then why are we being censured and told we can only discuss light topics? Where do you suggest we discuss issues that are on our minds? Open a new thread entitled ?heavy topic do not read if you?re sensitive to how people really feel??

Your original post did direct us to keep it light however you did as what p****ed us off. If you don?t want to know what pives us then why even bother starting a thread?

I started this thread.

Now......

If you wish to start your thread please do so........

Enjoy!

Now back to topic please, thanks!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Got good points there Mr. Burger

after reading all this thread i really want to sum it all up...gringo is a diragatory word. we are extranjeros. i feel that most the ex-pats living here are either wanted or unwanted in their homelands.

two things tick me off. first all the self rightous people living here and trying to inflict their misguided, tainted, self-serving morals and principles on a culture that they dont understand. second, the main thing that most tourist and ex-pats seem to ignore is that we are all guests in this country and can be asked to leave at any time no matter who you know or what you own....
.....an after thought, so what about the 50+ dominicans that have 20 some year old wives, how does that fit into the scheme?

Who is trying to misguide who? This is a light thread meant to be entertaining at the same time informative to the unknowing.

Your question about 50+ Dominicans that have 20 something year old wives??? What scheme??? *sigh*

This isn't rocket science people. If you want to start another thread with whatever it is that is going on in your mind then please by all means do so. Keep things on topic please.

Here it goes again.

What do us gringos see in other gringos that we find amusing. What do our HOSTS (which means Dominicans) find in us that is amusing???

*Sigh*

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
what i find amusing about other gringos is why do you come to a country where spanish is the primary language and can't speak any ? they're always saying "anyone here speak english"...

with me i'm sure they find my tipping amusing and rather stupid. i didn't know about the overtipping and i always thought they were smiling at me when i tipped. they were probably saying "stupid gringo".

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
At the end of the day, a foreigner is nothing more than a foreigner always has been and always will be.

Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that, but we Dominicans do tend to look at non-Dominicans or expats under a different filter than we do everybody else regardless where we may find ourselves.

One thing we are very much aware of is that no foreigner could ever truly know what it means to be a Dominican in every sense of the word. They can stereotype, study us, attempt to assimilate into Dominican culture, but at the end of the day they will always be "extranjeros".

Dominicans DO talk alot about the expat community in the DR, of course we will never say anything in their faces, but we do talk and talk and talk, much in the way the expats talk about us.

Funny how both sides treat the other as uneducated little kids in these discussions, feeling pitty for the otherside for "not knowing any better" in whatever is being discussed.

The foreigners do that in their judgement of Dominican culture, actions, and general day to day living and Dominicans do this in judging how well a foreigner may think he knows Dominicans vs. how much he actually knows. But, since a person has to be born and filled with Dominican nationalism from the day they are born onward to fully understand Dominicans, most expats will never get it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to the subject matter.

Even though this thread is more about "gringos opinions of gringos", I must say that it's amusing seeing a bunch of foreigners moving to the DR to "get away from the ways of their old country". That is what many say is the reason for moving to the DR.

Funny how once they are in the DR, all many of them do is complain at the fact that everything in the DR is done the Dominican way and not like in their old country which they left because they did not like many of the things of their old country to begin with.

Ay ya yay!

-NALs:ermm:

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
DominicanScotty, you're doing a great job of keeping this thread on topic! Up to now, it did not even need a moderator. I think however we could treat the issue light and funny, or serious. Some posters seem to inject serious issues and I agree with you, not enough light and funny so far.

So, let's see .. How do I see a gringo? If I was to look through Dominican eyes for a moment, I think I would see a gringo as something akin to a monkey .. greatly curious about people and customs from the DR, not quite understanding how to treat that with some respect and really really funny to watch!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Great!

At the end of the day, a foreigner is nothing more than a foreigner always has been and always will be.

Not that there is anything particularly wrong with that, but we Dominicans do tend to look at non-Dominicans or expats under a different filter than we do everybody else regardless where we may find ourselves.

One thing we are very much aware of is that no foreigner could ever truly know what it means to be a Dominican in every sense of the word. They can stereotype, study us, attempt to assimilate into Dominican culture, but at the end of the day they will always be "extranjeros".

Dominicans DO talk alot about the expat community in the DR, of course we will never say anything in their faces, but we do talk and talk and talk, much in the way the expats talk about us.

Funny how both sides treat the other as uneducated little kids in these discussions, feeling pitty for the otherside for "not knowing any better" in whatever is being discussed.

The foreigners do that in their judgement of Dominican culture, actions, and general day to day living and Dominicans do this in judging how well a foreigner may think he knows Dominicans vs. how much he actually knows. But, since a person has to be born and filled with Dominican nationalism from the day they are born onward to fully understand Dominicans, most expats will never get it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to the subject matter.

Even though this thread is more about "gringos opinions of gringos", I must say that it's amusing seeing a bunch of foreigners moving to the DR to "get away from the ways of their old country". That is what many say is the reason for moving to the DR.

Funny how once they are in the DR, all many of them do is complain at the fact that everything in the DR is done the Dominican way and not like in their old country which they left because they did not like many of the things of their old country to begin with.

Ay ya yay!

-NALs:ermm:
This is an amazing post NALs. You took the words right out of my mouth.

So true, especially your "all many of them do is complain at the fact that everything in the DR is done the Dominican way....".

2 things I get a kick out of a gringo is:

1- MOST move to the DR and expect the DR to transform itself into their home countries. Just look around and see how many people on this site, living in the DR, complain about the country. And:

2-This is the real funny one: After living in the DR for about 20 seconds, all of a sudden they THINK they know more about the DR, it's culture and it's people than anybody else. When in fact, MOST know the DR thru the eyes of a poor sap they have befriended of are bedding. NOT all, of course.

NALs, you are also very right when you say:

"At the end of the day, a foreigner is nothing more than a foreigner, always have been and always will be". Only if they can just get that thru their heads!.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miguel, dude, you don't even know how much i complain about DR. every day. i stick my nose out the door and i see mud and sewage on my unwalkable calle in torre alta, it's darn hot, those wretched motoconcho driver pssst at me, hopeless! but i can also laugh at my little adventures here and i amuse my friends with jolly emails on life of an european in DR.

i belive that the state of roads and lack of order **** everyone off just the same, regardless of the fact whether they are dominican on foreigners.but look at it like that: i will always be a gringa here, outsider but YOU will never see this country with an objective, if somehow swollen from the heat, eye.

yes, there are tonnes of things i HATE about DR, but there is just as many things i love. and even thou on a pop street i may look as cospicious as a tarantula on a birthday cake - i am trying. and man, i am loving it!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
NALS, I just want to publicly acknowledge your excellent post! Very well said.

What amazes me:

The look on tourists faces when they see locals dancing to Reggaeton!

What ****es me off:

Ex Pats who want this country to be like what they left. My answer: you don't like it, go home.