Refugees in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I read somewhere that the USCG said there has been no major increase in the amount of boats arriving in US and Bahamian waters.

........how can more Haitians arrive to the US when you had 10,000 american soldiers acting as immigration agents in Haiti.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
........how can more Haitians arrive to the US when you had 10,000 american soldiers acting as immigration agents in Haiti.

Maybe things could be about to change...
It takes a couple of months to build a typical haitian boat.
I got friendly with a guy building one in Cap Haitian.
It was around 40 feet and was a thing of beauty. They spent one month building the structure, sank it for 2 weeks so the wood could expand and the joints would become tight. Then around 2 weeks to outfit the thing with a mast and rigging.
This last part was done in a secret location so I never saw the finished product.
Not surprisingly he didn't want me taking photos of his little project.

Given that it is 2 months since the quake I would not be surprised if there were boats about to leave right now.

The boats generally leave from the North of Haiti, so I am told, so they would avoid most of the American fleet round Port au Prince.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
They don't have passports? no kidding. That's what we're talking about. Are you trying to tell me they can't deport them because they don't have papers? Ha! On the contrary, they need paperwork to stay. Do you think all the illegal immigrants, Mexican, Dominican, Cuban, ect ect ect that are deported from the US all have papers? Ha again. I am not predigest, or against the Haitian people. Just calling it as I see it.
All immigration departments in every country are in charge of controlling and protecting their borders, no matter how corrupt the government.
.......and I really don't care about the price of condos?? I have no intention of investing in any property in the DR.
.... no losses, no nightmares, just a post.
.....and what am I doing to help? nothing. I don't have enough to go around after I get done helping the poor people in my own country first, and the rest of the world.
Get a life Pedro.

Well if you are doing nothing to help then don't complain about it.
What the hell is your connection to Sosua anyway?
Which country are you from - which poor people do you help?

Also, what about the people born in D.R. of Haitian parents with no paperwork - send them to a country they have never been to?
And do not be so sure the same thing could not happen to you one day.

Thankfully the majority of people here do not have their heads as far up their arses as you!

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
It's interesting how people are concerned about their own safety and welfare, while they see other human beings, especially children sleeping hungry in trash sacks (the pictures could make the biggest man cry...).

Why are people always asking the government to take action, while they see hungry people in the street and not doing anything at all?

One things is for sure, we all will be punished some day for not helping, but rather being selfish and greedy.
Walking away from hungry and needy people we meet on our path of live is (in my believe) the ultimate SIN. And I don't mean SIN in a religious way.

I agree, with the previous poster: This could all happen to us or our families as well.

How can people judge those poor souls for stealing? How wouldn't steal to fill an empty stomach?
I think many western people would do even worse things to safe their children.

In times like this, it shows that help is best and most effective from every single person meeting a person in need. Once can not always just wait for the government to take charge.
That doesn't even work in the western world and for sure won't work in the Dominican Republic?

On a side note: I wonder what happen to all the money that was given to all those Haiti help organizations?
Do you guys see the red cross or any of such organizations around in Sosua?

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Well if you are doing nothing to help then don't complain about it.
What the hell is your connection to Sosua anyway?
Which country are you from - which poor people do you help?

Also, what about the people born in D.R. of Haitian parents with no paperwork - send them to a country they have never been to?
And do not be so sure the same thing could not happen to you one day.

Thankfully the majority of people here do not have their heads as far up their arses as you!
Go back to school....
It's not worth the argument when dealing with someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.......and you live there???? Ha!

May 29, 2006
There wouldn't be as much concern about Haitians coming en masse to Sosua and other towns if they were all staying in condos and spending another $1000/month or more on the local service economies.

These people need food. They need shelter. Having them beg on street corners or root through garbage for food is not what I consider a compassionate option. The DR has the infrastructure to provide for them on the short term esp if international aid pitches in. But as in Katrina, this has to be done in a centralized manner, which means refugee camps. Ideally these some of these should be set up on the Haitian side of the border so people trying to enter the DR will see another option.

There is a Haitian community in Sosua, many with small businesses that are part of the service economy. I don't think any ex-pats are advocating rounding up anyone who simply can't say "perijil." But there certainly are better options out there than doing nothing.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Please continue to discuss the topic of this thread - without attacking each other.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Not at all.....point is he has no point. daaaa

I think Pedro has made some very valid points and I'd like to add a couple

1) when we are discussing rights we should keep in mind "basic human rights"
2) there are plenty of gringos living in Sosua and indeed in the DR in general who have no residency and could be considered 'ilegals'

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
2) there are plenty of gringos living in Sosua and indeed in the DR in general who have no residency and could be considered 'ilegals'
There is a difference between overstaying on a tourist card...where you go through immigration and have your passport swiped for official records...and sneaking across the border with no official permission of any kind.

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
I think Pedro has made some very valid points and I'd like to add a couple

1) when we are discussing rights we should keep in mind "basic human rights"

I answered Peters post #20.......we are not talking "human" rights here,
legal rights concerning residency or citizenship if Haitian and born in the DR.
I don't make the rules, and yes, plenty of expats illegal as well, difference being...they have a choice, the Haitian doesn't.
Bottom line is there will be an influx of new arrivals from Haiti, and the DR will pay in the long run with decreased tourism, and an increase of crime, which it already has a bad rep for.
Peter has the right approach, camps in the campo......and no Pedro, it's makes no difference if you're Haitian or whatever......

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Are you serious?

Granted that the US situation is totally different - I accept that.

Interestingly, if the TPS is for Haitians already illegally in the US then the only Haitians it does not apply to are the ones that have arrived since the quake - a few hundred at most.
I read somewhere that the USCG said there has been no major increase in the amount of boats arriving in US and Bahamian waters. So effectively the vast majority of Haitian illegal immigrants have gotten a free pass for some amount of time.
I think it is a good thing bearing in mind the 'T' in 'TPS' stands for 'temporary'.

It just really chaps my knackers that there are Gringos who moved here recently who are no more legal than the people they want deported.
By default these people assume they have the right to be here but the Haitians do not.
Talk of rounding Haitians up and sticking them in camps ready for deportation to a country that is collapsed and is set to become even less able to cope with an influx of homeless people makes me wonder about the humanity of these people.
Now if I hear a Dominican talking like this I can understand where they are coming from a little more - I still do not like it but I can understand why they feel like this - and as a guest in their country I need to respect their opinions on their sovereignty.
The Sosua Gringos, many of who regularly overstay their 90 day tourist card and live here with impunity however, are on very dodgy moral ground calling for the mass deportation of Haitians.

Why do these expats not refer to these Haitians as expats?

For me it is all about having a little respect for one's fellow human beings.

Your a smart dude pedro, but this is some of the dumbest things yu have ever said.
You are comparing gringos who come to the DR and put thousands of dollars a month each in to the dominican economy, to the Haitian immigrants who are on the streets of Sosua, constantly begging for money and involved in pick pocketing and other crimes.

Sosua is a tourist town that survives off of TOURIST AND EXPAT $$$.. not a gang of Haitian children sleeping in the streets.. Thats a fact, regardless of whatever personal opinions that you may have. But they should not be running around in tourist towns chasing away $$$ and people that the dominican republic depends on.

Also, I didnt know that the whole country of Haiti was in mass destruction. The country is much larger then the area that was effected by the earthquake..Did you ever hear of Cape Haitian? Why not relocate these refugees in their own country, and not give them free passes to the country of their choice just because they are Earthquake survivors..

So go ahead and say it Pedro, we are all picking on the Haitians because they are black and we are all bigots..We have all heard this from you before.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I don't make the rules, and yes, plenty of expats illegal as well, difference being...they have a choice, the Haitian doesn't.

In my book, if you have a choice and decide to break the rules you are more culpable than if you have no choice - I do not see your logic here. This reminds me, I must get my tourist card updated. Maybe a quick jaunt to Cuba or Puerto Rico for some R&R would be better....hmmm....

and no Pedro, it's makes no difference if you're Haitian or whatever......

Then why the comment about being Haitian - please explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.