Does Anyone Like Santo Domingo?

J

Jeff

I have been asking knowledegeable friends and strangers to help me plan a 1-3 month stay in Santo Domingo next spring and to a person the advice has been to go elsewhere. I feel like Im asking for advice on going to NYC and being refered to East Islip, Long Island. I know that SD must be a big, crowded, loud, dirty, vibrant metropolis, but isnt that the point? I could hang out in a resort filled with white tourists in San Diego and escape the modern world amidst rural simplicity and saltwater in South Carolina!! Since I like San Juan, PR and LOVE Havana, Cu, I have assumed that I would at least enjoy Santo Domingo. What am I missing?

E

ECH, M.D.

I AM FORCED TO LIVE HERE!

Simply because I like it so much. And I do live in Santo Domingo and enjoy the things that the capital has to offer. I don't care what you want, you can usually find it in the capital and this is not so with some of the smaller areas although they are nice to visit when one wants a rest from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Don't get me wrong; there are problems as with every large city and developing country but maybe that is what makes it different and unique in it's own way.

J

Jeff

Thanks!! Doc.

I was really starting to wonder. Did I wake up this morning and the whole world had become Amish? Hopefully I am at least 50 years away from looking for a nice, warm, quiet uncomplicated place to wait for death. In the meantime I intend to embrace the funkly, sweaty frenzy of urban life! How could that NOT be more fun with a merengue soundtrack?

T

Tony Castaneira

I hate it when people say they know the DR and when i ask them where they went they say Punta Cana or Puerto Plata.

Santo Domingo IS the Dominican Republic!

E

ECH, M.D.

NOW WAIT A MINUTE JEFF!

I didn't say I liked all things here and MERENGUE is one of them! I, along with many Dominican friends, hate merengue. I don't classify music into classical, western, etc. but only good music and bad music....and FOR ME, merengue belongs in the latter category. But I am sure you will have fun.....I do.

E

ECH, M.D.

TONY, YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

Have friends who have gone to these all inclusive expensive resorts and think they have been to the D.R. They might as well have stayed home. They eat in the hotel, lounge at the hotel pool and bar and for the most part do not leave unless on a very sterile guided tour. Hell, you can eat hamgurgers and fries at home but where you going to get rice and beans Dominican style? Tostones? And the list could go on but you know where I am coming from.
BUT, I must admit, Dominicans go the New York and come back saying they have seen the Unites States! In fact, most of my grandchild's friends think NEW YORK IS THE UNITED STATES. Hey, come to think of it.....have New York friends who think NEW YORK IS THE UNITED STATES...some would even declare it the center of the universe! LOL

I

Isa

Re: TONY, YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

First off. The Dominican Republic is the best place to have a vacation, depending on what it is that you want to do. Most people go to the big hotels and that's it. You can go to Puerto Plata, La Romana, Higuey, The capital city Santo Domingo, Santiago, and lots of places more. If you want to see the real DR you have to get a guide that'll take you to the real DR.

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: NOW WAIT A MINUTE JEFF!

I classify merengue along with Disco, techno and House music. Bad music to dance to.

E

ECH, M.D.

I agree with all but the "guide" part. That is so commercial. Get to know a local Dominican and ask them to show you their country and many times they will do it with pride. I said a FRIEND, not an acquaintance. Best time I ever had in my life was with such a friend in Hamburg, Germany. Spent a whole three day weekend with them touring the country side and seeing things most tourist types never see.

T

Tony Castaneira

The only problem with New York is the New Yorkers. I love it when New Yorkers come and visit me and freak out when they know I have wild snakes, foxes and Opossums in my Neighborhood. They wouldn't last a day in My world.

K

Kozy

Re: TONY, YOU GOT THAT WRONG

Well Tony, in my opinion, la capital is not THE Dominican Republic. It is only one part of the country. To me, the difference between the rest of the DR and the capital is enormous. It is just a matter of preferance. I go to the capital only when necessary. It has its charm but its just not my style. I love the small towns and campo. Bonao, Sanchez, Mao, Jarabacoa, Moncion, Loma de Cabrera, Paraiso, ect. ect. is my idea of la vida dulce. And remember, mas o menos, 3 out of 4 people residing in the DR don't live in Santo Domingo.

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: TONY, YOU GOT THAT WRONG

While the Campo does has its charm. The fact is that outside of Santo Domingo it is a cultural wasteland.

3 out of 4 Domincans live outside of Santo Domingo, that is true. But 2 out of those 3 wish they were. You don't see a influx of people to the campo from the capital. It is the opposite.

D

Duarte

About people who think that New York IS the US, here's a little story. When I first came to the US I came to Michigan on a scholarship. About two days before I left I was at a local bar and the DJ said "Congratulations to .... who's leaving in two days to study in New York" then I said I'm not going to New York, but to Michigan...so he says "Congratulations to .... who's leaving in two days to study in Michigan, a part of New York" lol. I also have an aunt who lived in New York for 20 years and was never outside the city.

T

Tony Castaneira

Re: You probably Can't dance!!!

Actually I am a pretty good dancer. Salsa, Rhumba, Cha Cha Cha, Danson, twist, pogo, slam.... Anybody with even a hint of Rhythm can dance merengue.

E

ECH, M.D.

Is he talking about you Tony. I thought it might have been me and I was ready to show the plaque for being elected the best dancer at the high school prom, I was # 1 .....of course that was back in 1954 when the arthritis was not intefering. Only thing I don't like about merengue is you move fast as hell.....but don't go anywhere, and the guys shake their booty like they are working the malecon and it is for sale. If you get the drift. Now the ladies, that is a different art form. But you know, maybe I just don't have the hormones to enjoy the contortions, shake rattle and roll as the boys put on their show. Have to be serious and say it is interesting to watch but not for all night long!!

C

criss colon

No way! You,and "they",may think you can dance merengue,but if you ain,t born here you can,t dance merengue! Criss

C

criss colon

Tony,let me say one thing,and then we can move on.I say this not to criticize but help make your trip and maybe you life more enjoyable.Lose the "race" chip you seem to be carrying around on your shoulder.I, like most people here,will judge you by the "caracter of your soul,not the color of your skin!"It is not necessary to bring up:white people,black people,we,they,just come and have a good time.You will meet some nice people,color not an issue.If someone doesn,t like you for reasons of "color" Fu-k Them!you wouldn,t want to know them anyway!Most people like that are boring! Now,lets talk! I think you are a guy who likes to dance,meet people,party, and have a good time! Right?I like Santo Domingo! There is something for everyone.You can go to the beach for a day,or a weekend.You can go to an"all-inclusive" resort just for 1,2,3,or however many days you want.Lots of dance clubs,bars,and just walk the Malecon.You will find lots of women here to go out with. The food is good and lots of restaurants.Please come and get ready to have a great tine! Criss

J

Jeff

KEEPING THE RACE CHIP TO MYSELF

Its not on my shoulder so much as all over my body. I wish I could just forget about it...it doesnt work. I am a large, young, dark Black man and these facts adhere with a vehemence. I wish to GOD that I could go a day without thinking about it...its exhausting. But its ALWAYS there. When I get on a elevator or walk through a parking lot...God forbid I should stand too near a stranger or walk into anexpensive store. From people being astonished that I didn't go to college on a football scholarship to the suprise business associates reveal on their faces when my subjects and verbs tend to agree, my blackness is the front gate through which everyone has to pass to get to me and through which I have to pass to get anywhere else. For your sake, I'll try not to share it anymore. Still, please know that I'd give anything for it not to be a factor or to be able to ignore it...such is simply not possible for me.

M

marykohn

Maybe living in the DR is just the ticket

When we lived there, my parents welcomed many people in to our home. I really thought no differently of them even if their skin was darker than mine. Back in the states, I continued to welcome kids of all races as my friends. Recently, I realized that many African Americans haven't been friendly towards me. It made me feel funny. Then I learned some African Americans actually hate me because of the color of my skin. Wow! Only a small sampling of what they've been feeling for years. Well, I still enjoy having friends of all races and nationalities, thanks to the time I spent in the Dominican Republic.
Good luck to you, Jeff.