New Yankee Manager?

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
I understand.

I think that is a formality. I bet they have their minds made up already. I have a feeling Don Mattingly already has the job. If he gets it the Yankees will never win. Don Mattingly has never won anything. "The curse of the Don" will be in affect.

I understand where you're coming from. He isn't a proven winner in a team sport. Wade Boggs was a highlight reel, but he never won a thing and had more meaningless hits than...well, I don't know who...but in games they lost 12-4, he'd go 4-5. In games they lost 3-2, he'd go 1-5. Perhaps not an equal parallel, but I think it's along your lines of thinking.

I agree the decision is probably 65-75% done in the minds of the consigliere, but my hunch remains Girardi. I simply think he's the man for the job, and whatever baggage he comes with, he also comes with a track record of success.

I think he fits the role perfectly, and I'd be far more concerned with having him in the opposing dugout as I would Mattingly.

I felt the same way about Willie Randolph, and his mismanagement at the end of the Mets season finally proved me - within spitting distance of - accurate. Mets have oodles of talent, but it didn't work, I think it will be the same for them next year.

I don't know what Mattingly can and can't do, but when I've seen him in press conferences I felt bad for him. He doesn't appear to be capable of handling that end of the job, and it is definitely a necessity in such a rabid sports town.

Jan 5, 2006
Ask A-Rod what he wants after he signs his contract for over 30 million a year. I bet he says he wants to win the world series.
Blah, blah, blah...

A-Rod can say whatever he wants, but 99% of professional athletes, including him, have proven by their actions that money is always most important. BTW, there's nothing wrong with that, as their playing career is limited and always an injury away from going in the toilet. A little honesty would be refreshing though!

Remember, everytime that a player says that it's not about the money, it's about the money! ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Se te olvido?....

Wade Boggs was a highlight reel, but he never won a thing and had more meaningless hits than...well, I don't know who....
How was he supposed to win anything when he played 11 seasons in Boston?.

I guess he became a "a winner" all of a sudden, AFTER he signed with the Yankees. Go figure...

Care to name a few GREEEEEAT Boston players who started and ended their careers in Boston and won NOTHING, because the team won NOTHING in about 100 years, even if they were GREEEAT players?.

Give me a break!!.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I think that is a formality. I bet they have their minds made up already. I have a feeling Don Mattingly already has the job. If he gets it the Yankees will never win. Don Mattingly has never won anything. "The curse of the Don" will be in affect.

Don Mattingly may have some pretty nice statistics. He may have won the MVP, batting titles and gold gloves. But he never won a ring. That is something that all players want. If you are a major league ballplayer thats why you play the game. Ask A-Rod what he wants after he signs his contract for over 30 million a year. I bet he says he wants to win the world series.

I understand where you're coming from. He isn't a proven winner in a team sport. Wade Boggs was a highlight reel, but he never won a thing and had more meaningless hits than...well, I don't know who...but in games they lost 12-4, he'd go 4-5. In games they lost 3-2, he'd go 1-5. Perhaps not an equal parallel, but I think it's along your lines of thinking.

I agree the decision is probably 65-75% done in the minds of the consigliere, but my hunch remains Girardi. I simply think he's the man for the job, and whatever baggage he comes with, he also comes with a track record of success.

I think he fits the role perfectly, and I'd be far more concerned with having him in the opposing dugout as I would Mattingly.

I felt the same way about Willie Randolph, and his mismanagement at the end of the Mets season finally proved me - within spitting distance of - accurate. Mets have oodles of talent, but it didn't work, I think it will be the same for them next year.

I don't know what Mattingly can and can't do, but when I've seen him in press conferences I felt bad for him. He doesn't appear to be capable of handling that end of the job, and it is definitely a necessity in such a rabid sports town.

Cleef, are you sure you understand jruane44's lines of thinking?

jruane44 claims that Mattingly "never won anything" because he "never won a ring". But that is fine. Since jruane44 is entitled to his own opinion (but it does not make sense to me).

But Boggs won a World Series ring with the Yankees in 1996. So I guess jruane44 will consider Boggs as "having won".

NFL Hall of Famer and Miami Dolphins all-time great, Dan Marino, has never won a Super Bowl ring. So I guess jruane44 considers Marino as "having never won anything."

Oh well, you guys can talk all you want (after all, everyone is entitled to his/her opinion). I'll just sit back, clean my new car, run a few errands, and watch my Red Sox win another World Series. ;)

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
There are plenty of great individual ball players with statistics that have never won a World Series or a Super Bowl. Baseball and football are team sports. Dan Marino had great statistics but never won a Super Bowl. A-Rod is sitting at home right now. He had an outstanding year and single handedly took the Yankees to the playoffs. The bottom line is that tonight he is watching the World Series on tv just like me. Maybe I shouldn't have used never won anything when portraying Mattingly's career. He had some nice individual acomplishments. Too bad he played in a team sport. If he had won a couple of World Series rings maybe he would have gotten into the Hall of Fame.

My head says Girardi is the best man for the job, while my heart says it should be Mattingly. I know Mattingly. He broke into baseball in my community (Oneonta Yankees - NY Penn League (A) - 1979. I think he has learned a lot from Joe T, but Girardi is very baseball savvy. Am sure George and/or his wonderful sons don't care what I think, but I'd be happy with either one. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when La Russa stayed with the Cards, and when they announced that they wouldn't be interviewing Bobby Valentine for the job.

Cleef - have to agree with you about Willy Randolph. As a player I loved him, but as a manager, I'm not so sure.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Doesn't count.

That's until he came over to the good guys to get his ring. ;)

Oh, sorry. I saw his Tampa Bay uniform on his bust in Cooperstown and must have been confused.

I guess he forgot about his MFY years as quickly as I did.

Remember way back when, last century, when you could just go to the MFYs and get a ring. Seems like just yesterday.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
What about the cubs ex coach, Dusty?

Dusty is now the manager of the Reds. :)

accx14.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I really didn't like him anyway, he treated Sammy bad. :)

Still, I'm willing to bet a cold one to anybody that they won't go in house - payable in Santiago only. :)

Jan 5, 2006
I guess he forgot about his MFY years as quickly as I did.
Luckily, he only needs to look down at his hand to be reminded. ;)

Remember way back when, last century, when you could just go to the MFYs and get a ring. Seems like just yesterday.
Well, if and when the Redsucks win it all this year, they'll only have to do it twentysomething more times before they can feel like the Yankees did just last century. :bunny:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well, if and when the Redsucks win it all this year, they'll only have to do it twentysomething more times before they can feel like the Yankees did just last century. :bunny:

The only problem is the new generation of Yankees fans don't remember any of that! For example, I remember some poster here on DR1 talking about "old school" music, which to him was the early '90 hip hop whereas old school to me is old blue eyes singing "The girls from Ipanema"!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Loser lot

How was he supposed to win anything when he played 11 seasons in Boston?.
Have you seen the papers lately. The Sox are pretty good.

I guess he became a "a winner" all of a sudden, AFTER he signed with the Yankees. Go figure...
As did Han Solo when he joined Darth Vader.

Care to name a few GREEEEEAT Boston players who started and ended their careers in Boston and won NOTHING, because the team won NOTHING in about 100 years, even if they were GREEEAT players?.

Give me a break!!.
100 years seems like an exaggeration, but as it is, your MFY's are getting closer and closer to the historic Red Sox futility of the 1900's, so I can sympathize and understand your attitude problem.

There aren't many players that stay with the same team anymore, so it's difficult to answer your convoluted run-on sentence/question.

I'd say Jim Rice and Carl Yastremski off the top of my head. They didn't win anything other than gold gloves, triple crowns, MVPs and batting titles. Yaz was the last one to win a triple crown and Rice came thisclose on many occasions.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Ring was hawked a long time ago.

Luckily, he only needs to look down at his hand to be reminded. ;)
Do they brand you in NY? Or do you mean the ring of the team that bought it for him? If he's so proud to wear that, how do you explain going into the HOF with a Tampa jersey on?

I think knocking the snot out of them in the greatest collapse in sports history in 2004 and knocking them off their perch of Division titles EASILY supersedes all the ancient Championships by a large margin - in the here and now. More teams, and a very different sporting landscape.

As pointed out by Chip, we're in a new century and stuff is moving pretty fast. Hanging your hat on the mantle of what you did last century makes eyes glaze over (at least my eyes).

Funny you MFY fans haven't had a game in weeks and you're still bantering about how great your team is. From my view it looks like it's in shambles.

Jan 5, 2006
The only problem is the new generation of Yankees fans don't remember any of that!
Sounds just like all the people going around wearing their Boston caps, just because they're jealous of the Yankees. Most of them wouldn't be able to name 3 non-starting players on the team if their life depended on it. :eek:

Jan 5, 2006
Do they brand you in NY? Or do you mean the ring of the team that bought it for him? If he's so proud to wear that, how do you explain going into the HOF with a Tampa jersey on?
In reality, his bust should be wearing Boston garb, but only he knows why he chose Tampa. Maybe he wanted to be the first Devil Ray in the HOF?

I think knocking the snot out of them in the greatest collapse in sports history in 2004 and knocking them off their perch of Division titles EASILY supersedes all the ancient Championships by a large margin - in the here and now. More teams, and a very different sporting landscape.

As pointed out by Chip, we're in a new century and stuff is moving pretty fast. Hanging your hat on the mantle of what you did last century makes eyes glaze over (at least my eyes).
Sure does sound dramatic and like it was sooooo long ago, but for all the success that Boston has enjoyed lately, the Yankees have won 4 times as many world championships as Boston has in the last 12 years. So maybe it wasn't that long ago after all! :p

Funny you MFY fans haven't had a game in weeks and you're still bantering about how great your team is. From my view it looks like it's in shambles.
There's always next year, so we'll see how much Boston and the rest of baseball enjoys the shambles that will be the Yankees starting rotation next season. You have 3 rookies to look forward to; each one better than the next! ;)

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Perhaps

Sounds just like all the people going around wearing their Boston caps, just because they're jealous of the Yankees. Most of them wouldn't be able to name 3 non-starting players on the team if their life depended on it. :eek:

I'm amazed at how knowledgeable many unconventional (Sawx) fans are. I say that in somewhat agreement with you, because anyone wearing a pink Red Sox hat should be stoned to death (these are the same morons carrying around Wally The Green Monster dolls).

That being said, I was at a party recently and the women (mostly older, on the West coast no less) were the ones talking Sox. I would have figured them to match your description, but they were talking career OBP and slugging %'s so I'm not too sure. My guess is they probably know the middle names of all the bench players.

Personally speaking, I can't understand why there would be jealousy per say. Perhaps it's just semantics, but that isn't a descriptor I would use.

I'm not jealous of the MFYs in the least. If anything, I'd be jealous of having players that I'd like on my team; Paul O'neil, Thurman Munson, Tino Martinez, Posada, and today perhaps Joba Chamberlain.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
You have 3 rookies to look forward to; each one better than the next! ;)

Are you talking bout the rookies with attitude already, like Jaba??? :ermm:

Well, at least we know now how to rattle him...send in some bugs!!!!:cheeky:

ROOKIES need to PROVE themselves...take nothing for granted... :bored:

We'll talk again next September/October...:tired: