New Yankee Manager?

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que importa......

Since I started this thread, I'll throw something else in there - I've just gotta tell you (MQ and Cleef) how much I dislike the term MFY's.
Seriously Steve, who cares what people call the Yankees?.

One of my role models, a GREEEEAT man, 87 years young, once told me that a person who utters those words is nothing more than a cartoon character!.

Do I believe that's the case here, maybe not at all.

But I do believe, AS I SAID MILLION OF TIMES, that it has to do with JEALOUSY.

I actually LOOOOVE it when people call them that because it makes me aware of how jealous they are of a WINNER.

Think about this:

Why are MOST winners disliked?. Why are Trump, Gates, the Yankees, Mark Cuban, Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Michael Jordan, Ali.......disliked by so many?

They are disliked by MANY because they are WINNERS!!!.

How can you blame SOME of these people?.

I would feel the same way if the SUCKS, or any other team, where the ones with 26 WORLD SERIES RINGS!!.

Now, I will only get annoyed at them when their team have won more rings than the Yankees.

Other than that, what's the point?.

I mean, don't you think you would be, perhaps, on the same boat after the Yankees have made you suffer for so many years?.

Yeah, yeah, I know, the Yankees have NOT won in a few years, but the fact of the matter is that they have won 26 times so talk to me when your team have won 26 times also.

Other than that, say all you want about the Yankees because at the end of the day, they have proven that they are WINNERS and that SOME fans are just jealous of them!.

Come on, we all know that winning and jealousy go together, don't we?. (But OF COURSE they WILL say that it has NOTHING to do with jealousy).

Now, back to the topic at hand.....

IN MY OPINION (NOTE: MY OPINION):

Torre is NOT going anywhere.......

Now, lets forget me being a Yankees fan and let me "talk" like a baseball fan:

I can truly say that I really don't care if he stays of if he goes.

With the talent the Yankees have and the talent George is known to buy, even Don Knotts (from the Andy Griffith Show, rest in peace) would make a great Yankees manager!!.

SOME of you guys (even SOME Yankees fans) seem to have forgotten that Torre managed Atlanta, the Mets and the Cardinals before, and that he did a lousy job with them, especially the Mets and and St Louis!.

Then, after having 10 losing years with those teams, all of a sudden he lands the Yankees' job and all of a sudden he becomes this "Mozart" manager with 12 winning seasons!!.

Yeah, "Mozart" my axx!!.

He is a winning manager because of the talent he is given to work with!. Nothing more, nothing less!.

Now, who I think WILL do a GREAAT job as a Yankees manager?:

Simple: ANYBODY!!. (And George and/or his son WILL make sure of that).

Miguel -

You asked who cares what the Yankees are called? - I do. Just like I don't think it's right that they are called the MFY's, I also don't think it's right that the Red Sox are called the Sucks, as you and so many others call them.

I'm not asking you to agree with me, just like I'm sure you're not asking me to agree with you.

Thanks

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que se puede hacer?....

Miguel -

You asked who cares what the Yankees are called? - I do. Just like I don't think it's right that they are called the MFY's, I also don't think it's right that the Red Sox are called the Sucks, as you and so many others call them.

I'm not asking you to agree with me, just like I'm sure you're not asking me to agree with you.

Thanks
Steve, a person can NOT change another person because as they say: "Opinions are like axxholes, EVERYBODY has one!!!!".

They know SOME of you guys are bothered by it and they WILL keep on doing it for the same reason!.

SOME people would try ANYTHING to bring Yankees fans down!. It goes back to the "jealousy" thing I have been mentioning for years!. SOME fans are not bothered because we just consider the source!.

Now, about being called MF and Sucks, well sir, "Sucks" means they stink (and they DID stank for MAAAAAANY YEARS) which is very different than MF.

I, for one, do NOT use the term MF when referring to anything or anybody. To me (NOTE: TO ME) it's the lowest form of insults.

Hey, I have been called that a few times here and the reason I don't get offended is because "stick and stone will break my bones but words will NOT hurt me", THEN I look at the source.

Now, back to the thread topic:

Don't you think that if George was going to get rid of Torre he would had done it already?.

I think all he was doing was talking out of his axx trying to motivate a team full of players playing like Minor Leaguers!!.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I agreed with almost everything you said.
You don't think Girardi has learned his lesson? I think he'd know better than to try and pull stunts with the highly reputable players; learn from whatever past mistakes led to his supposed reputation. I think managing the MFY's is different than most teams, of course the Marlins.

I have a hard time seeing Lowell going to NY, this isn't Johnny Damon. If MeRod goes to the Sox, I'm giving up on baseball altogether - That's an absolute promise!

I don't think the pot for Santana is sweet enough, but I take it you follow their minors closely. They really have to get Santana.

Good post.

I think what you said about Giraldi has some merit. However, remember that he was coaching a team comprised primarily of rookies and 2nd year players. Meaning, it was his way or no way. When confronted with veteran issues, he blew his top, and that was in Florida. Can you imagine how he'll handle things in NYC with a team of highly paid hired guns AND the over-the-top NYC media????

Torre stays, or I'll do what I have been doing since the Yanks lost last week, and tune out of baseball altogether. Football, hockey and basketball season in sight.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about Lowell and since it's looking like the Sox have their hands full right now. If they lose, he leaves. If Torre remains manager of the Yankees, he's in NYC. They put on a GREAT interview and schmooze job. Best in baseball, plus money's not an issue.

No one thought Giambi would leave Oakland (not talking in hindsight. He WAS the Oakland A's.) No one in Boston believed that Damon would really leave the Sox after the WS. The Sox bid approx. $20 million more than any other team for Dice-K, why? Fear of what the MFYs would do.

A-Rod's the best player in the game, but he needs to go. NOW!!! He's not Yankee material. Bottom-line. He had a great year. Ok, great. Postseason, no show again??? Let him be someone else's novela.

And Boston??? Not gonna happen. Why? Boston can't have Manny and A-Rod on the same team. Ya kidding me, right? Talk about blowing up a clubhouse? So, you're safe.

Brass tacks. The trojan horse. Money. No one's gonna take Manny off the Red Sox, esp. due to his attitude and salary. Don't even consider the Angels, who won't pay Manny more than Vlad. The Cubs just signed Soriano for big bucks. The Dodgers won't take on that kind of player and salary. The Giants just got rid of one head job and huge salary. Then, add in $30+ million for A-Rod??? Yeah right.

Santana is needed in the Bronx, and the Yanks have the resources to get him and keep him. My package for him was just thrown together, but all of the prospects were top notch prospects. Since they already have pitching, I would think that position players would be what they are after. There is a top 5 outfielder in the Yanks organization, Jose Tabata, that everybody wants. Be interested to see if the Yanks include him for Santana. Even if it doesn't happen, it just would be some sight to see Johan pass the game off to Mariano.

Should be an interesting off-season.

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
As a Yankees fan, I'm disgusted by the management team's treatment of Torre. We deserve what will occur next year, and it won't be pretty.

Forget my previous predictions. The house of cards has caved in.

In 2008, Posada will be playing for the NY Mets. Mariano Rivera will sign with the Phillies. Andy Pettite and Clemens will retire for good. A-Rod's gone.

Farewell, Joe. Thanks for the memories and 4 World Series titles.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Farewell, Joe. Thanks for the memories and 4 World Series titles.

Speaking of memories, I'm no Yankes fan but wanted them to win in '01 after 911.

Torre has done a good job, but I wonder if in today's world big salaries and even bigger ego's are counterproductive to real teamwork? In other words, maybe it isn't such a great idea to get the "biggest and best" and pay them more than they are worth. I think this gels with the facts of the Yankees failures over the last years, it hasn't been always pitching or batting problems - more like teamwork/attitude problems.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
As a Yankees fan, I'm disgusted by the management team's treatment of Torre. We deserve what will occur next year, and it won't be pretty.
They made him an offer they knew he was going to decline.

The man was making 7.5 million and to offer him 5 million with a whole lot of "ifs" in order to make 8 million was a slap on the face.

When I heard he had declined their offer and I heard all the demands the Yankees management was/were making, I said to myself "good for you Joe, good you you for telling them to go F*&^ themselves".

You know, these morons are trying to make believe like this season was a complete failure. IT WAS NOT!!.

The guy have won 12, COUNT THEM, 12 postseasons and 4 World Series in 12 years!!.

Eventually he will manage someplace else and even if I don't think he will have the same success he had with the Yankees, he will do fine.

The warning those management morons are throwing out there is that whomever manage the Yankees BETTER win it all. Anything less will result in their firing!!.

Nice way to part ways with someone who have done so much for them!!.

"NICE" job, FFY!!!!!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Un Dominicano...

Dominican and Yankees first base couch, Tony Pena, WILL interview for the Manager's position, in a day or two.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Dominican and Yankees first base couch, Tony Pena, WILL interview for the Manager's position, in a day or two.

I think that is a formality. I bet they have their minds made up already. I have a feeling Don Mattingly already has the job. If he gets it the Yankees will never win. Don Mattingly has never won anything. "The curse of the Don" will be in affect.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Queeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?.

Don Mattingly has never won anything. "The curse of the Don" will be in affect.
What?.

Hold on, let me go outside to see if it's raining........

No, it's not raining but someone is peeing on me and trying to make me believe it's rain!.

Are you sure one of the MOST beloved Yankees of all time "has never won anything"?.

PLEEEEEASE tell me this:

Who was an All-Star 6 years in a row?,
Who was the 1985 ML Player of the year?,
Who was the 1985 AL Most Valuable Player?,
Who won Gold Gloves from '85 to '89 and from '91 to '94 (9 times)?,
Who won 3 Al Silver Sluggers Awards?,
Who was the 1984 Al Batting Champ?,
Who was leader in hits 2 times?,
Who was leader in Total Bases 2 times?,
Was the Doubles leader 3 times?,
Who was the RBI's leader once?.....

If I am not mistaken, it was Don Mattingly who won all of the above.

But what do I know since the guy have won NOTHING!!.

Now, about the new Yankees' manager, I will say it again:

Whomever is hired to manage the Yankees will do a good job because they have the talent and George has the money.

For all I care, they can hire Hipolito Majia or Jose Feliciano and even they will do a good job!.

Where in hell is Billy Martin?.

I know, probably in...... Wahahaha!.

Jan 5, 2006

Unfortunately, the interviewing of Tony Pe?a appears to be just a token interview to fulfill MLB's mandate that at least one minority candidate must be interviewed for any managerial opening.

I sure wish that they would prove me wrong!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Talvez.....

Unfortunately, the interviewing of Tony Pe?a appears to be just a token interview to fulfill MLB's mandate that at least one minority candidate must be interviewed for any managerial opening.

I sure wish that they would prove me wrong!
Perhaps....

Just don't forget that he was a manager before and maybe, just maybe he will be judged by his past experience.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I think that is a formality. I bet they have their minds made up already. I have a feeling Don Mattingly already has the job. If he gets it the Yankees will never win. Don Mattingly has never won anything. "The curse of the Don" will be in affect.

Don Mattingly has never won anything?!?

I'm a Red Sox fan but I still recognize and respect the accomplishments that Mattingly has achieved (as Miguel has pointed out) both on and off the field.

Jan 5, 2006
Unless proven otherwise, this whole interview process is just a mere charade to justify the hiring of Don Mattingly. It's really unfair to the other people being interviewed, but no MLB team is allowed to just appoint a manager without putting on this stupid dog and pony show. Otherwise, George would have just given Mattingly the job, because " he wants to see Mattingly manage the Yankees before he dies."

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Don Mattingly may have some pretty nice statistics. He may have won the MVP, batting titles and gold gloves. But he never won a ring. That is something that all players want. If you are a major league ballplayer thats why you play the game. Ask A-Rod what he wants after he signs his contract for over 30 million a year. I bet he says he wants to win the world series.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Don Mattingly may have some pretty nice statistics. He may have won the MVP, batting titles and gold gloves. But he never won a ring. That is something that all players want. If you are a major league ballplayer thats why you play the game. Ask A-Rod what he wants after he signs his contract for over 30 million a year. I bet he says he wants to win the world series.

So do you consider all baseball players who have never won a World Series ring as "having never won anything"?

Since NFL Hall of Famer and Dolphins great, Dan Marino has never won a Super Bowl, do you consider him as "having never won anything" ?

Or let's take A-Rod as another example. He has accomplished so much both on and off the field. He also guided the Yankees to a wild card berth this year (At one point, the Yankees were 14.5 games behind Boston and 9.5 games behind in the Wild Card race). He has also never won a World Series ring. So I guess you also think that A-Rod has "never won anything".

Julio Franco has never won a World Series ring either. But I still consider him as "having won so much" especially for his great efforts that he has done helping the Korean baseball federation and community while he played in Korea as well as for his performance on the field.

jruane44, I respect your opinion, so do not take this post as an argument towards you. I would just like to better understand your statement (because to me, it does not make sense).

Thank you. :)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mira a tu alrededor.........

Well, NOW you say it's because he didn't win a ring.

A far cry from "have never won anything".

Look around, there are A LOT of beseball greats who never won a ring.

You WILL even find SOME in the Hall Of Fame.

Btw: ask Alex Rodriguez, or any player, if they rather have 30 million dollars or a WS ring. I bet the ring WILL become secondary, all of a sudden.

Oooooh well.....