Starbucks in Punta Cana

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently, they found the way to Punta Cana. Its going to be a stand alone building in the parking lot of Blue Mall Punta Cana near the Nacional.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
places already built let's see if they're ready for the $10 cup of coffee in Punta Cana
Blue Mall in Punta Cana has not come close to living up to their expectations. And Starbucks will do the same.......................\
Across from the Blue Mall is Nacional. You can walk there in one minute. They have one of those coffee machines there. When it started you would take a cup and get your coffe and pay nearby. That ended real quick. No one was watching the machine and next to no one paid. Now you must put the money in. And the coffe was about 60 pesos. So the $10 Coffee will go nowhere fast.......

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Blue Mall in Punta Cana has not come close to living up to their expectations. And Starbucks will do the same.......................\
Across from the Blue Mall is Nacional. You can walk there in one minute. They have one of those coffee machines there. When it started you would take a cup and get your coffe and pay nearby. That ended real quick. No one was watching the machine and next to no one paid. Now you must put the money in. And the coffe was about 60 pesos. So the $10 Coffee will go nowhere fast.......
I agree .High Society people that live in Cap Cana and Punta Cana Village will want to be seen sipping coffee outside... sorty like buy a BMW and live in a shack ...

Jan 9, 2004
Several Nortn American chains have already failed in Blue Mall.
A $10.00 usd cup of coffee is probably one of the stupidest things yet.
......And did not Tony Roma's also have a short stay in Palma Real?

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A project that big isn't done on the short term but on the long term projections and they don't take into account unforseen events such as the Covid pandemic, the war in Ukraine and its economic effects very far away. One thing about Punta Cana/Bávaro is that its population is growing by leaps and bound on a yearly basis.

Regarding Starbucks, time will tell. One thing this one will have that I think no other Dominican Starbuck has is a drive-thru. Living in Bávaro (or the starting to be developed Macao) and traveling to Blue Mall just to buy Starbucks may be a little much, but with the drive-thru option you don't even have to get out of your car. Plus, DR Starbucks is the first in the world to start business offering delivery and I doubt this one will not have this too. They might open another one in Bávaro, maybe in the San Juan/Down Town Punta Cana area. Also another one in the airport, if its not already there, for all those American, Canadian, European, and Latin American tourists. As what happens with the Wendy that is there, many of the tourists will think the chain only has that one store in the DR and only for the tourists. lol

Last edited:

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas

never underestimate the stupidity of us - gringos, amigo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think I saw one at Downtown Center too???

We only drink black espresso, and our favorite beans are Starbucks. We brought 5 pounds with us and everyone likes it, but it’s stronger than local espresso

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think Downtown Center was the first one. I didn't know there are more now.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
The new Metro Plaza on San Isidro will have Starbucks too, and Almacenes Unidos starts there construction too. The Autopista San Isidro will be the most busy comercial road en SD soon.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The new Metro Plaza on San Isidro will have Starbucks too, and Almacenes Unidos starts there construction too. The Autopista San Isidro will be the most busy comercial road en SD soon.
I used to own a half dozen lots on that highway. Probably shouldn't have sold them.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I think Downtown Center was the first one. I didn't know there are more now.

Here is the timeline:

1) Downtown Center
2) Acropolis Mall
3) Agora
4) 360 Galleria
5) Megacentro
6) SDQ Airport

Coming soon:

1) Punta Cana (Stand alone store)
2) STI Airport - Proposed
3) PUJ Airport - Proposed
4) Downtown Puerto Plata (Near the new Tabio bay Cruise port) - Proposed

For the Autopista San Isidro, that must be interesting.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
I used to own a half dozen lots on that highway. Probably shouldn't have sold them.

Yes you shoudn't, but that's life. So here it is:

Reactions: JD Jones

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Time will tell if starbucks makes it . I will go for a cup of joe to check it out ,we shall see

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Mercifully we have been spared Starbucks in La Romana but we have some very pleasant places run by Cafe Santo Domingo where you can buy a cup of coffee and a warm croissant for about 250 pesos . We have been afflicted with a Kentucky Fried chicken shop but its greasy wares are not so popular when there are hundreds of pica pollo shops all over the place.

Reactions: JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
First off the 90 or so AI's will do nothing for this place. No one is interested to take a $50 or more taxi ride to get a $10 Cup of coffee at Starbucks. They can get it where they came from.

Bottom line is if they don't have a predominantly Dominican clientele they will not do well. Not enough dumb Gringos here to bother with this place. And the vast majority of "Gringos" are NOT Americans here...................

Reactions: Buzz65