Starbucks in Punta Cana

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Starbucks is now open for business in new stand alone store next to Blue Mall, they had grand opening last night.
Looks like the usual crowd of Dominicans that like to be seen at "important" events. We need a photo in a few months when they get tired of $10 coffee and go back to the machine for 60 pesos at Nacional...............

Reactions: JD Jones

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Mercifully we have been spared Starbucks in La Romana but we have some very pleasant places run by Cafe Santo Domingo where you can buy a cup of coffee and a warm croissant for about 250 pesos . We have been afflicted with a Kentucky Fried chicken shop but its greasy wares are not so popular when there are hundreds of pica pollo shops all over the place.
Except that Cafe Santo Domingo is, let us say, awful coffee. Go Bustelo!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Except that Cafe Santo Domingo is, let us say, awful coffee. Go Bustelo!
I'm no Nescafe fan but the cappuccino their machine put out is pretty good stuff.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Years ago there was a coffee house near the old Ikea in Bavaro. It shared the parking lot with Noah's and Punta Italia.
It lasted about 2 months. They used a logo that was very close to Starbucks and over charged for crappy coffee just like Starbucks does and died a early death.
Just like Starbucks will ☕

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Starbucks Update: Stopped by on the way to the airport about 11:30 today.

I opened the door and I thought I was at a fashion show or maybe a wedding. They had decent business, nowhere near full but good amount of people There was not one Gringo in sight. Only Dominicans dressed to the hilt. Women in attire you would never see except for an affair.

I am pretty much clueless on Starbucks as I only was in a few in Spain, never in the US so I ask if NOT putting ANY prices on the photos and descriptions of the coffee they sell is the same all over. The only way to know how much you are getting robbed is when you have to pay.

So they are still hanging in there as the place "to be seen"..................

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Starbucks Update: Stopped by on the way to the airport about 11:30 today.

I opened the door and I thought I was at a fashion show or maybe a wedding. They had decent business, nowhere near full but good amount of people There was not one Gringo in sight. Only Dominicans dressed to the hilt. Women in attire you would never see except for an affair.

I am pretty much clueless on Starbucks as I only was in a few in Spain, never in the US so I ask if NOT putting ANY prices on the photos and descriptions of the coffee they sell is the same all over. The only way to know how much you are getting robbed is when you have to pay.

So they are still hanging in there as the place "to be seen"..................
I predict the Higüey's "cream of the crop" will be driving for 35 minutes, pay the toll, just to be seen sipping Starbucks coffee.
Then they'll upload the photos to FB and Instagram, but not before they are sure they're not wearing the same outfit as in other photos already posted.

Some of 'em will be loudly ordering "Venti" size, in order to impress the other patrons with their "knowledge" of Starbucks' Italian lingo.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
I predict the Higüey's "cream of the crop" will be driving for 35 minutes, pay the toll, just to be seen sipping Starbucks coffee.
Then they'll upload the photos to FB and Instagram, but not before they are sure they're not wearing the same outfit as in other photos already posted.

Some of 'em will be loudly ordering "Venti" size, in order to impress the other patrons with their "knowledge" of Starbucks' Italian lingo.
There are also plenty of well-heeled Dominicans with properties in PuntaCana Resort and Cap Cana.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
What is with all the negativity? It is almost like jealousy. So you don't like Starbucks...I get it. But this is a company that 10's of millions do. It was opened in Punta Cana...I get it. You do not like what Punta Cana represents and you prefer your rolling blackouts, roosters at 3am and spandex in the streets. But 10's of thousands (and growing) of people do, be it Expats or Dominicans.

I will admit that I went to Starbucks once while in Florida. The coffee was decent. Will I go to the shop in Punta Cana? That is likely simply out of curiosity and because my daughter insists that we go. Some people prefer to dress up to go out, be it the supermarket, the bank or Starbucks. That goes for many Dominicans. If you choose to dress to a lesser extent, so be it, as it is your choice. I will not belittle you for doing so, nor judge your financial position in life. As they say...whatever makes you happy.

BTW...I went out on a limb and bought some "Kora" coffee which has been heavily advertised on billboards. Not bad, but not to my personal liking. I can see how many would like it, just the same.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We’re only espresso drinkers. Never went into a Starbucks, brought 40-50 pounds of coffee beans back from DR every year. Usually from cobraboy.

Then I won a Starbucks gift basket at a fundraiser, that included a gift card that I used to buy a few bags of espresso beans. Since then it’s all we drink. I even shipped some down in a drum. Enjoying a cup right now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My beef w/ Starbucks is the price...... nothing else..... although I have given up hot coffee..... iced for me these days

Reactions: Auryn

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Starbucks has done great with its brand recognition campaigns and selection of products, a reason why some folks are drawn to its coffee.. Don't fault people if Starbucks coffee is what they adopt. It is their decision. However, this poster will not go out of his way to find a Starbucks when there are so many supermarkets, colmados, and roadside vendors offering good and maybe better coffee at a rational price.

Regards,

PJT

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I have been at some Starbucks that I used like a workspace and they didn’t seem to mind. It’s not so expensive if you look at it from that perspective. You have a coffee there and sit with your laptop or have a meeting. I also like their lemon loaf cake which they have everywhere I think. During the pandemic pandemic in Santo Domingo I went to the one at Downtown Center after I just had been vaccinated.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
At the ZC, there is a relatively new coffee shop for gringos on Arzobispo Meriño. I went there once when it first opened. $200 or $250 DOP for one cup of coffee. Literally 25 meters away at the corner of El Conde and Arzobispo Meriño is an anciana selling coffee and snacks. You can get a grande for 50 pesos. I always go to her.

Reactions: SKY and JD Jones

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Going to Starbucks? Take the Cappuccino challenge test. It consists of getting a Cappuccino in Starbucks and then going right across the street to Nacional. Go to the food area where you can eat and invest 60 pesos in the Nestle's coffee machine for a Cappuccino, After you have drank both Starbucks $10 US version and the 60 peso Nestle's Cappuccino ask yourself if the Starbucks's version is worth 10 of the Nestle's ......................

Reactions: cavok and JD Jones

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I can only predict, with impressive accuracy, that the nouveau rich from Higüey, with their freshly-done hair and manicures, will don their expensive tennis shoes (some of the females their hooker heels) and oversize purses (Lululemon Everywhere Belt Bag hasn't reached the Dominican shores yet), and head east to Starbucks, via la Autopista del Coral, where they'll order (out loud) a *venti chai latté with soy milk (I like mine at 201° F) in their KLK Spanish sprinkled with a few English words so as to impress the super-duper important staff and other patrons, then demand a table that affords the best view of the incoming customers, whip out their recently purchased MacBook, while placing a call on their iPhone Pro Max 14 to their friends, in order to let them know where they are:

<<Dime a ve', mi'ja, ya llegué a EtaLbó, juno (you know). Tú no quisi'te vení, juno, pero tú te lo pielde, juno>>.

*(I DO NOT hate Starbucks, as evidenced by my preferred drink. I only complain (meekly and apologetic) when I can sense they didn't heat it up to my ideal temperature: "Excuse me, SIR, I think the cup may have cooled it off just a bit, but that tastes like 199°. I wonder if the AC may have something to do with it."))

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
, After you have drank both Starbucks $10 US version and the 60 peso Nestle's Cappuccino ask yourself if the Starbucks's version is worth 10 of the Nestle's ......................
US$10 for a cappuccino? No way, José.

I follow Dritan Alsela, an Albanian who owns a coffee shop in Germany, and he's shown how to make it with just a Moka pot and a French press.
James Hoffman, British expert on all things coffee, has also used this method.

Those who have tasted it, swear by it: "Joseito, this is delicious; it beats Starbucks. You should open up a coffee shop in Higüey."

Next best thing to owing a high-end espresso machine.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Prices may have changed a bit, but these are all the eatable products available in Starbucks DR 2022. Prices are in Dominican pesos but don't include taxes.

Last edited:

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Years ago there was a coffee house near the old Ikea in Bavaro. It shared the parking lot with Noah's and Punta Italia.
It lasted about 2 months. They used a logo that was very close to Starbucks and over charged for crappy coffee just like Starbucks does and died a early death.
Just like Starbucks will ☕
Location,location,location.

Reactions: PJT