Big retail store the highway Pricesmart?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Does anyone know for sure what the new huge retail store that is being built on the highway . I'm being told it a pricesmart . I would say its 80% completed

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
image0 (15).jpeg

this is the store its after where the bus accident was / now I;m being told it's going to be a

Almacenes Unidos​

• Wow
Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hardware and grocery store. They carry some great stuff in Hardware but I've never visited the supermarket.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Hardware and grocery store. They carry some great stuff in Hardware but I've never visited the supermarket.
I was just told from the town crier that they will never let a PriceSmart come to the Punta Cana area because it would wipe out all the local supermarkets that the big money people here I invested in .. sort like what happen when home depot arrived in the states

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Are Santo Domingo and Santiago supermarkets hurting because PriceSmart is there?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Are Santo Domingo and Santiago supermarkets hurting because PriceSmart is there?
Not in San Isidiro. Bravo is packed and so is Sirena on holidays. It appears at least there, there is enough consumers to share. Also Jumbo is not too far away on Autopist de SI and Nacional is just up DeGaulle. They aren't hurting.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don't think so either. There isn't a lot of product overlap there, people go to Pricesmart to buy things they can't find in local supermarkets, and also bulk items.
I don't think there has ever been a time when I went to Pricesmart and there weren't customers who were obviously colmado owners and/or industrial entities.
All of the supermarkets I go to in SD and San Cristobal are always packed.
There are times I go to Jumbo Luperon and leave without buying anything because the parking lot was crammed way beyond capacity, and they have 650+ parking spaces.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I don't think so at all. Pricesmart isn't a shop for the general public, at least not from what I have seen (I was there today). Almost everyone is buying for business. The staff always start by saying "give me your RNC" they don't ask if you want a comprobante fiscal, they know that everyone who is there wants one. And their range is all mega size, for example I wanted kitchen waste bags and the smallest box they had was 160 bags for over RD$ 1,200.

I do think that Nacional and Jumbo are hurting because of Bravo and Ole, in fact I know this as I've been told it by one of their managers. And I think Sirena seems to be very sorry for itself these days, I wonder how much longer they will survive.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ole is like a poor man's Walmart. The one in PC is way bigger than the Jumbo or Nacional...........With cheaper prices...........

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Any market addition to the Punta Cana area will "hopefully" lower prices from the area competitors. Punta Cana experiences some of the highest prices of commodities in the country. "Because the rich live there"?

Regards,

PJT

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Any market addition to the Punta Cana area will "hopefully" lower prices from the area competitors. Punta Cana experiences some of the highest prices of commodities in the country. "Because the rich live there"?

Regards,

PJT
More with it’s far from civilization. Most factories and major distribution centers are in the Santo Domingo and Santiago areas, and the major sea ports are in the Santo Domingo area. Most of the stuff on sale in PC has to be shipped by trucks from SD and that adds to the costs.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
More with it’s far from civilization. Most factories and major distribution centers are in the Santo Domingo and Santiago areas, and the major sea ports are in the Santo Domingo area. Most of the stuff on sale in PC has to be shipped by trucks from SD and that adds to the costs.
And a tractor trailer to PC isn't small change, even if it belongs to them. That's a long round trip.