Big retail store the highway Pricesmart?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't think so. I go to Jumbo and Bravo often and they're always packed.
Here in San Cristobal, Bravo is barely busy. I usually go there because there is hardly anyone in the place.

That may have something to do with their hours, but also because their prices are not that good either.

Sirena on the other hand, is always a full parking lot as well.

Reactions: Aguaita29

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
And a tractor trailer to PC isn't small change, even if it belongs to them. That's a long round trip.
You have to ask why certain basics other than food outright are cheaper to purcahse in the mountains, Constanze, than in PC. Case in point some time back a bottle of Chiliean wine cost about 800 Pesos in PC, while the same wine in Constanza was 500 Pesos, There was no promotion or Sale discount.. Both are about same distance from Santo Domingo. Constanza is harder to get to. Chicken and meats were less expensive in Constanza.

Regards,

PJT

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Constanza is closer to SD than PC, Bávaro is even further.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You have to ask why certain basics other than food outright are cheaper to purcahse in the mountains, Constanze, than in PC. Case in point some time back a bottle of Chiliean wine cost about 800 Pesos in PC, while the same wine in Constanza was 500 Pesos, There was no promotion or Sale discount.. Both are about same distance from Santo Domingo. Constanza is harder to get to. Chicken and meats were less expensive in Constanza.

Regards,

PJT
I'd guess because most deliveries made to Constanza are made in small non union diesel trucks or van,(4 or 6 wheels) while trailers delivered to PC are probably all in 40-52ft containers (10 wheel) driven by sindicato drivers

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I'd guess because most deliveries made to Constanza are made in small non union diesel trucks or van,(4 or 6 wheels) while trailers delivered to PC are probably all in 40-52ft containers (10 wheel) driven by sindicato drivers
The more volume of produce commodities transported in one trip, i.e., full container load, brings the cost per unit down.

Does not matter whether or not the drivers were sindicato. Years back the cost of the same food goods bought in Punta Cana were cheaper in Miches or Sabana de la Mar. The cost of goods in Punta Cana have always been expensive. Residents of Punta Cana including this poster have made peace with the costs calling them a tourist tax. The addition of the Coral Highway has made transport between Punta Cana & Santo Domingo less costly and swifter. However, the savings have not been passed on to the local end consumers. One cause of the high costs in Punta Cana is greed.

Regards,

PJT

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Any market addition to the Punta Cana area will "hopefully" lower prices from the area competitors. Punta Cana experiences some of the highest prices of commodities in the country. "Because the rich live there"?

Regards,

PJT

Foreign. Not rich. Its fact that 90% of the money in this country is in the "golden polygon" in the capital. But the foreigners in Punta Cana will pay higher prices as a) they don't have a lot of options and b) they don't know any better.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Foreign. Not rich. Its fact that 90% of the money in this country is in the "golden polygon" in the capital. But the foreigners in Punta Cana will pay higher prices as a) they don't have a lot of options and b) they don't know any better.
They know a lot better than you about Punta Cana. It is the only place in the DR with stable electricity the same as where you come from. Also has next to zero violent crime, not the same as where you reside. And you can go to 6 Supermarkets in less than 20 minutes with no traffic on a brand new highway. I can go on and on about the advantages here having also lived in other parts of the country for many years.

And weighing the lifestyle against the price differential is a no brainer ....

Reactions: Nadie21

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
That last statement is absolutely untrue and not supported by any physical evidence or statistic. I regret to say that PJT is 100% correct from my experience also . The situation is the same in La Romana where the supermarkets and shops seem to think that every customer is a millionaire from Casa de Campo. Like PJT, I have no option but to accept the situation .

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
They know a lot better than you about Punta Cana. It is the only place in the DR with stable electricity the same as where you come from. Also has next to zero violent crime, not the same as where you reside. And you can go to 6 Supermarkets in less than 20 minutes with no traffic on a brand new highway. I can go on and on about the advantages here having also lived in other parts of the country for many years.

And weighing the lifestyle against the price differential is a no brainer ....

I was replying to a statement about people being rich in Punta Cana. It is a fact that 90% of the wealth in this country is in the golden polygon. Nobody was talking about electricity or supermarkets or traffic jams, I was simply stating a fact about where the money is in the country.

I also think it is probably true that a lot of people in Punta Cana don't go out of the area all that often. They fly in, stay in their vacation homes and fly back out. So it's like a little bubble of high prices.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
I was replying to a statement about people being rich in Punta Cana. It is a fact that 90% of the wealth in this country is in the golden polygon. Nobody was talking about electricity or supermarkets or traffic jams, I was simply stating a fact about where the money is in the country.

I also think it is probably true that a lot of people in Punta Cana don't go out of the area all that often. They fly in, stay in their vacation homes and fly back out. So it's like a little bubble of high prices.
Your last thoughts on PC ..I believe you are 100% correct.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
That last statement is absolutely untrue and not supported by any physical evidence or statistic. I regret to say that PJT is 100% correct from my experience also . The situation is the same in La Romana where the supermarkets and shops seem to think that every customer is a millionaire from Casa de Campo. Like PJT, I have no option but to accept the situation .
The fact is many merchants in the area take advantage the foreigners presence, having catalogued in their minds they all have money to spend. Thousands laborers for the resorts arrive daily from Higuey and La Otra Banda, Those folks rather live those places, loose two hours round trip of travel time to/from work.. The reason is their housing and foods costs are cheaper than Punta Cana.

Regards,

PJT

Reactions: MariaRubia

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The fact is many merchants in the area take advantage the foreigners presence, having catalogued in their minds they all have money to spend. Thousands laborers for the resorts arrive daily from Higuey and La Otra Banda, Those folks rather live those places, loose two hours round trip of travel time to/from work.. The reason is their housing and foods costs are cheaper than Punta Cana.

Regards,

PJT

I have never ever met anyone who is happy working in Punta Cana. I am sure they exist, but everyone I know can't stand the idea of working there, even though they earn a lot more than in the capital.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have never ever met anyone who is happy working in Punta Cana. I am sure they exist, but everyone I know can't stand the idea of working there, even though they earn a lot more than in the capital.
I know people that make well over $100,000 US a year. All of them are very happy working in Punta Cana.................And NONE of them are ever happy when they need to go to the Capital and wait 15 minutes in a car to go one block.................

Reactions: PCMike

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I am very happy working in Punta Cana, but then again, we have never met, so I will take your statement based on your circle of acquaintances. In my circle I have "very few" not happy about working here. Most are happy with their decision to do so.

Reactions: Kipling333

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that 90% of the wealth of the DR is tied up in the golden polygon of the capital even though a polygon can be as large as you make the lines or I should say a line because all three are of equal length. Equally ridiculous to suggest that no one is happy working in Punta Cana and the fact that people living in Punta Cana do not leave the area is just as true in the capital ,Santiago or any other place. Equally wrong to say to suggest that employees make much more in Punta Cana than than the capital or Boca Chica although I suppose some do . Pricemart will not worry other retailers in the East because there is a lot of purchasing power in the area from San Pedro to Bavaro.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I am very happy working in Punta Cana, but then again, we have never met, so I will take your statement based on your circle of acquaintances. In my circle I have "very few" not happy about working here. Most are happy with their decision to do so.

Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant working in hotels in Punta Cana.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Absolutely ridiculous to suggest that 90% of the wealth of the DR is tied up in the golden polygon of the capital even though a polygon can be as large as you make the lines or I should say a line because all three are of equal length. Equally ridiculous to suggest that no one is happy working in Punta Cana and the fact that people living in Punta Cana do not leave the area is just as true in the capital ,Santiago or any other place. Equally wrong to say to suggest that employees make much more in Punta Cana than than the capital or Boca Chica although I suppose some do . Pricemart will not worry other retailers in the East because there is a lot of purchasing power in the area from San Pedro to Bavaro.

why don't you just write "I'm right you're wrong shut up".

I do believe it is a fact that something like 90% of the wealth in DR is contained in the polygon of the capital bordered by Maximo Gomez, Luperon, George Washington and Kennedy. This is quite often referred to as the golden polygon. I've heard this quoted a few times and I believe it is true.

I work in hospitality. I have interviewed and employed and know many many people who have worked in hotels in PC and I have never once met one who liked it. Please don't tell me that this is ridiculous because this is what I have experienced. Maybe I could ask how many hotel employees you have interviewed to justify your assertion that my statement is ridiculous.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I know people that make well over $100,000 US a year. All of them are very happy working in Punta Cana.................And NONE of them are ever happy when they need to go to the Capital and wait 15 minutes in a car to go one block.................

how many people can you count who work in PC and earn over 100,000 US a year? seriously?