Why was a british traveler not allowed entry into country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't blame them. They're cheap and prefer to make Yorkies and overcooked meat at home than go out and contribute to the economy 😂
I take it that is supposed to be a joke about Brits. I am British and can confirm that we don't overtip like Americans. Otherwise, I don't know what a Yorkie is except a British chocolate bar, which is impossible to make at home, and I prefer my meat not overcooked. I'll ask around my British acquaintances here and see if they know what you're talking about.

Reactions: Fulano2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
IMG_3088.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
So in other words a guy who shows up at a Party, to drink and Eat , but he knows no one , not the Host, nor who invited him.. " where is this Maria" ? oh She LEFT ... LMFAO...
thats what I gathered , is that about right
Exactly. In the other video there was an example of the guy that shows up at everybody's funeral. Why? Because there's always free food and drinks at funerals here. This is how the word is most commonly used here. It may have different meanings in other Spanish speaking countries.

Reactions: jd426 and JD Jones

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I take it that is supposed to be a joke about Brits. I am British and can confirm that we don't overtip like Americans. Otherwise, I don't know what a Yorkie is except a British chocolate bar, which is impossible to make at home, and I prefer my meat not overcooked. I'll ask around my British acquaintances here and see if they know what you're talking about.
Yes, exactly. But don't feel bad, you're not alone. Right up there with the French, Germans and Swiss. All pervasive non tippers. Overtipping is relative. The Dom's don't make great salaries and benefits working in restaurants and other public service establishments like they do in the country of the chinless and bad teeth. They count on your tips. Shameful 🙄. I always count on preferential treatment, meanwhile someone's coughing up a lugie in your mai tai compadre 😂

Isn't a Yorkie a Yorkshire pudding? That's what Gordon and Jamie call them!

Reactions: Fulano2 and Big
Aug 21, 2007
I agree with those who said that the immigration officers are quite polite. This past week when I entered the country at STI, my old worn thumb prints would not print on the machine. They sent me to the back room. As soon as I entered and said hello to the woman, she commented, “Oh! You are a missionary, right?” I explained that I have a non profit in Jamao and we then had a conversation about the river. After a few minutes she thanked me for my work and told me to return to the booth where they stamp your passport.

My policy is the same whether dealing with the police, bureaucratic government workers, politicians, or immigration workers.

Kindness always wins.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I agree with those who said that the immigration officers are quite polite. This past week when I entered the country at STI, my old worn thumb prints would not print on the machine. They sent me to the back room. As soon as I entered and said hello to the woman, she commented, “Oh! You are a missionary, right?” I explained that I have a non profit in Jamao and we then had a conversation about the river. After a few minutes she thanked me for my work and told me to return to the booth where they stamp your passport.

My policy is the same whether dealing with the police, bureaucratic government workers, politicians, or immigration workers.

Kindness always wins.
You always get more flies with honey than vinegar. A few bucks is also greatly appreciated!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, exactly. But don't feel bad, you're not alone. Right up there with the French, Germans and Swiss. All pervasive non tippers. Overtipping is relative. The Dom's don't make great salaries and benefits working in restaurants and other public service establishments like they do in the country of the chinless and bad teeth. They count on your tips. Shameful 🙄. I always count on preferential treatment, meanwhile someone's coughing up a lugie in your mai tai compadre 😂

Isn't a Yorkie a Yorkshire pudding? That's what Gordon and Jamie call them! Chinless and bad teeth. Doesn't sound like you have ever been to Britain. England is filled with very cute girls with beautiful smile. Or at least those have been my observations in the 15 or so times I have been there.
lucy-mecklenburgh-prettylittlething-campaign-launch-for-plt-shape-in-los-angeles-4-11-2017-1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
I don't know how I have to see your banal posts if I have you on block. But it appears you are having trouble redacting a post. Are you ok? I am concerned for you Bob!

Yes, I spent quite some time as a consultant to the German Commerzbank. Based in Frankfurt for quite a few years I was inside most of the branches across Europe, including NYC location as well. Trust me old boy, I've been out far, so far any further I'd be on my way back. God bless!

Aug 21, 2007
You always get more flies with honey than vinegar. A few bucks is also greatly appreciated

But as I am thinking about this, I remember a year ago. I was in the Santiago airport, taking back to the US a box of promotional magazines about Jamao. While waiting at the gate, three official people approached me and asked me to come with them. Apparently, they assumed I was hiding drugs in the magazines. It could have been a horrible experience. But, as the low level officers looked through each magazine, the boss of the DMC ( I assume) sat with me. We chatted. He told me he was a godson of our elderly doctor in Jamao. We became fast friends and to this day, write back and forth. And all those sitting in the other chairs waiting for their luggage to be examined asked (and received) magazines about Jamao. Of course, all inspectors received their copy, too.

Not everything that happens to us needs to be taken as an offense. Sometimes it is just an opportunity to forge new friendships and educate others (and ourselves.)

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
But as I am thinking about this, I remember a year ago. I was in the Santiago airport, taking back to the US a box of promotional magazines about Jamao. While waiting at the gate, three official people approached me and asked me to come with them. Apparently, they assumed I was hiding drugs in the magazines. It could have been a horrible experience. But, as the low level officers looked through each magazine, the boss of the DMC ( I assume) sat with me. We chatted. He told me he was a godson of our elderly doctor in Jamao. We became fast friends and to this day, write back and forth. And all those sitting in the other chairs waiting for their luggage to be examined asked (and received) magazines about Jamao. Of course, all inspectors received their copy, too.

Not everything that happens to us needs to be taken as an offense. Sometimes it is just an opportunity to forge new friendships and educate others (and ourselves.)
Good life point. Especially, for those that run around here thinking they have special rights or privileges. We know by experience those types generally don't end up with the better outcomes as you did in this experience above. How many do customs and immigration deal with who are prideful, arrogant and demanding. I would be on edge if that was my job!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Here is what a lambòn is in the Dominican Republic:

Lol even though you have the accent reversed. You can spot lambones aka mooches at a local "velorio". These are locals who weren't even family or friends with the deceased who come for the food only 😂. At a Dominican kid's bday party you know the lambones because as soon as the cake is served, they eat theirs then demand a slice or two for their "family members who couldn't attend" and then bolt faster than a bat out of hell 😂😂

Reactions: cavok

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Isn't a Yorkie a Yorkshire pudding? That's what Gordon and Jamie call them!
Don’t forget the Dutch! We don’t tip here even with the excellent service and the wine knowledge ( mainly glühwein so hot they serve it).
Ni loco we tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.