Camping, Campgrounds in The DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is probably an excellent opportunity to launder money in this business.
And without having to build towers to do it! And not be in Santo Domingo, the best thing of all about it.
So there are those advanages here in the DR.

If you go the high end route like this the money could be substantial, but the bubbles are a bit pricey as well:

And armed guards 24/7 are advisable.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Sounds like you've been doing your homework.

Can I ask what is the source for the DR information?

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
The best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do in the development of your business ideas.

Thank you... But I've still not received an answer to my question.

Would that be something you could provide?

Here it is again...

My question for clarity is... Am I to understand that content that does not directly include a reference to the DR, albeit absolutely applicable to the thread's content which is DR focused, is not allowed?

This thread's content being related to camping and campgrounds in the DR... And the possible DR-related business opportunities.

Thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you... But I've still not received an answer to my question.

Would that be something you could provide?

Here it is again...

My question for clarity is... Am I to understand that content that does not directly include a reference to the DR, albeit absolutely applicable to the thread's content which is DR focused, is not allowed?

This thread's content being related to camping and campgrounds in the DR... And the possible DR-related business opportunities.

Thanks.
Correct. It is irrelevant how popular camping is elsewhere. Only in the DR.

And in the DR there is some, but not much.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
There is probably an excellent opportunity to launder money in this business.
And without having to build towers to do it! And not be in Santo Domingo, the best thing of all about it.
So there are those advanages here in the DR.

If you go the high end route like this the money could be substantial, but the bubbles are a bit pricey as well:

And armed guards 24/7 are advisable.

Glamping is certainly a thing in the US (you can do a Google search yourself, I'm not interested in having my comment deleted because it highlights a non-DR matter)... And I'm sure that there may be a market for this among potential US tourists who are already visiting the DR... But I'm not sure if it will bring glampers from the US to the DR... Which is more what I believe has potential.

Also, it's seriously upscale in its pricing — $130-$370 USD per night.

Camping is usually a low-cost experience that can range from as low as $10 a night to as high as $100 a night... If you are looking to remain within a managed environment you pay for a space in a campground, and the cost is relevant to the amenities (maintained environment, possible security, bathroom access, electrical access, etc.) which can differ from one campground to another.

I guess any business can be used to launder money, even highly regulated banks... So sure, something as vague in expenses and income as a campground business may be, could provide a laundering opportunity.

Shoot, this website could do the same... But that's getting off track.

Back to the matter at hand...

Although I know that some types of businesses can be developed/built with a high-end focus... My research has indicated that campers tend to be more eco-minded than glampers, and an aspect of eco-minded is participation in the local culture. With this in mind, developing a strong local camping culture into which eco-tourist campers could immerse themselves would, I believe, provide more opportunities for success.

Thanks for your productive, thoughtful comment.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
DR1 exists solely for its Dominican content, for visitors, residents, tourists, etc.

Rule 12, which you quoted, is simple and clear. Posts must be DR related.

Reactions: JD Jones

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Correct. It is irrelevant how popular camping is elsewhere. Only in the DR.

And in the DR there is some, but not much.

Actually, in relation to the development of a business plan that requires the participation of a foreign customer base, prudent thought says it is most certainly not irrelevant.

This can be seen in something as simple as this website, on which English, which is not the language of the DR, is used.

And the same goes for other websites that cater to a foreign customer base.

But I fully understand that different people will have different views regarding different matters.

Thanks.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
DR1 exists solely for its Dominican content, for visitors, residents, tourists, etc.

Rule 12, which you quoted, is simple and clear. Posts must be DR related.

And having read the rules on the day I joined, I was aware of this... And thought that my comment met rule #12.

But it seems that it did not, so I asked for more specific clarification so that I would not make the same error in future comments.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And having read the rules on the day I joined, I was aware of this... And thought that my comment met rule #12.

But it seems that it did not, so I asked for more specific clarification so that I would not make the same error in future comments.

Hopefully all is clear now, and we can put this discussion behind us.

Reactions: JD Jones

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I have perfect sport for clamping and would !I've to offer this. It is in a scenic mountain area.
So it begs the question why does everyone have bars on their windows?
Of course people perceived to have money can be targets.
My Dominican wife sleeps well knowing we have a shot gun ,steel bars,and closes the windows on the second floor often for good measure.
Local intelligence can be ignored only at ones peril. Never underestimate it.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Sounds like you've been doing your homework.

Can I ask what is the source for the DR information?

It is not "...DR-related...", but can be, if you consider it in a certain context.

A Google search using the search term "worldwide camping industry" should bring up a list of results that will have https://www.statista.com at the top or near it.

Clicking on the link should take you to a page that gives you a worldwide view that you can then drill down into for specifics, including individual countries such as the DR.

Some of it is free, but there is also a paid subscription aspect to it... But I didn't use the paid aspect.

And actually, you can peruse some of the other results for a wider overview of the matter/market/industry.

Hope that helps.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have perfect sport for clamping and would !I've to offer this. It is in a scenic mountain area.
My Dominican wife sleeps well knowing we have a shot gun ,steel bars,and closes the windows on the second floor often for good measure.
The perfect argument for why camping in the DR is not what I would call popular.
Being vulnerable in a tent is not desirable.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Hopefully all is clear now, and we can put this discussion behind us.

Well, not really... But it's fine... I learned to roll with the punches a long time ago. And there are many ways to skin a cat.

I'm hopefully here for the long haul, so need to learn to work within whatever limitations might be encountered... Which actually helps me hone my communication skills.

So, yes... Moving on.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

I grew up in Jamaica in the '70s-early '80s... And in 1980, 880 people were murdered, most because of political gun violence alone (a higher per capita rate than NYC, which was considered the murder capital of the world at the time).

And burglar bars were on the windows of those who could afford them... Guns were kept at the bedside... And prudence/intelligence was used in relation to the environment... And yet, those intent on criminal activity still carried out their acts.

I know... Along with my family, I experienced what it is like to have your home invaded by 8 gunmen, and suffered the consequences of attempting to defend my parents during the incident. And so it was with others.

Sh*t happens... Especially in sh*tty environments.

Just ask my wife about her uncle who, in the early -60s, was arrested by the Tonton Macoute of Papa Doc. He was locked up in Fort Dimanche and never seen again. Why? Because he was a writer who was bold enough (some might say stupid) to speak out against Papa Doc's regime. This is why my wife's family moved to the US, as they had heard that her father was next.

Again... Sh*t happens... Especially in sh*tty environments.

But we, as free citizens (or guests in someone else's country) have the choice of living in fear... Or not living in fear.

In the last few years, murders in the DR have averaged around 900-1200 annually... Traffic accident fatalities have been around six times that amount.

To quote a dr1 headline... "Someone dies every two hours on Dominican roads."

Should folks stop using the roadways in the DR?

Now I'm not saying to just throw caution to the wind... Be wise, be prudent, try and be safe... But some of us in this world will choose not to live in fear of what might be. And people who enjoy camping are among those who choose this way of living.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
All it's going to take is one instance of campers being attacked/shot/killed to absolutely kill the market here

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
All it's going to take is one instance of campers being attacked/shot/killed to absolutely kill the market here

Have business insurance... Know how to handle a marketing setback... And cross that bridge... If and when it shows up.

Until then... Have the constitution to just carry on doing business... Like any competent business owner/manager would.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So, OP are you thinking of trying to start a camping business? Some of your posts are confusing, just trying to clarify the actual meaning of your thread.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
In miches someone just built two of the domes they are renting them on air BNB looks pretty cool looking over the samana bay use of rivers and Playa Esmeralda