Camping, Campgrounds in The DR?

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
I've been spending some time looking at YouTube videos on places for locals to stay in the DR — think Jarabacoa to be a leading destination... And with good reason.

Okay, but my wife and I, oldies that we are (just turned 60), enjoy mountain biking (I raced them in my younger days and work on them for neighbors... I have a little garage bike workshop) and so I've been trying to find out more on mtbing in the DR. This led me to look for campsites that we could spend a weekend at.

Hmmm... Not finding much... Am I missing places?

Well, this got me thinking about another little business development idea that I came across here in the good ol' US of A... Building inexpensive camping trailers.

It wasn't until I began looking into what was necessary that I came across a few really innovative people who are building very inexpensive camping trailers.

Cool... But there's more to this potential business idea... If inexpensive camping trailers can be built in the DR... Then there need to be destinations for customers of these inexpensive trailers to visit... This means the possibility of developing these destinations.

What is the camping mindset in the DR... Would locals do it?

Know this... With the growth in the number of tourists visiting the DR... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a few, if not many, may just be interested in a short-term camping experience at the right price. And it's already being done way, way up in the highest mountains in the DR.

Here is just one of many YouTube videos of what is needed to build an inexpensive camping trailer...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I saw a popup camper on FB Marketplace not long ago. First one I can remember.

It sold after just a few days, which is pretty rare for FB Marketplace.

I can tell you there is a group called 4x4 Domincano on Facebook that seems to do camping trips fairly often.

It's a group of well-off young Dominicans that have really deep pockets for most of what they do.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
A Google search with the search phrase "...camping in the Dominican Republic..." turns up these results on the first page...

THE 10 BEST Dominican Republic Campgrounds 2023
A Camper's Guide to the Dominican Republic
Best Camping Trails in Dominican Republic
The 10 best campgrounds in the Dominican Republic
Top 7 Best Places to Camp In The Dominican Republic
Backpacking Dominican Republic Travel Guide
Glamping In Dominican Republic | Luxury Camping ...

These are all from non-local websites that cater to international travelers... Which kind of supports the thinking that there is a tourism market for it. But most of the above-related places are for cabin-type facilities, not actual campgrounds where you can pitch a tent or park a camper trailer.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
These are two facilities that I've come across that offer something along a campground kind of experience... Both created by non-locals...

Both are pretty successful businesses it seems.

There is also a very wealthy Canadian investor that bought a huge property on the south coast... I can't remember his name at the moment.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Some people do set up those portable semi-round tents in places like Valle Nuevo. They usually do an overnight stay near the pyramid and during the coldest months in order to feel the cool and frozen ponds, streams, plus a covering of frost on the grass, trees, cars, etc. This is something that doesn't happen in much of the DR, hence the attraction.

I would think for many a trip to bahía de las Águilas meant camping overnight, but now that they are building actual resorts nearby camping overthere might become a thing of the past.

I don't think there are any real camping sites in the DR.

Reactions: MoJoInDR

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
It was bothering me so I went and checked out the Canadian investor related to the large property on the south coast... His name is Henry Mensen, and the property name is Rancho Magante.

I found out about it through a Project Esperanza FB update. Some former students were able to go to the property and receive some vocational training.

This is the website...

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
Okay... So I just had a comment deleted for not being about the Dominican Republic... And I guess, taken as a single comment, it wasn't.

But... When taken in context to business development in the DR, as related to camping, campgrounds, and possible consumer markets... Which is the context I posted it in — the US tourist market is a large part of the DR tourism industry — I thought that having a clearer understanding of what may drive this consumer market would be helpful in gaining a clearer view of why there may be business potential.

And the same goes for the European tourist market... Many of whom may also be campers.

Understanding your targeted consumer markets is a crucial aspect of driving business success, and the article I linked to was certainly full of information that would help someone better understand the business possibility in the DR as related to the US tourist market regarding camping culture.

Am I to understand that content that does not directly include a reference to the DR, albeit absolutely applicable to the thread's content, is not allowed?

I'd just like to be clear on the forum rules regarding this, as I take time to consider and write my comments, and having them deleted is kind of off-putting.

Thanks.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas

"12. All threads and posts must be regarding the Dominican Republic and/or living in the Dominican Republic."

My question for clarity is... Am I to understand that content that does not directly include a reference to the DR, albeit absolutely applicable to the thread's content which is DR focused, is not allowed?

This thread's content being related to camping and campgrounds in the DR... And the possible DR-related business opportunities.

I'm asking this because I've come across a few threads on business development and know from experience that understanding your targetted consumer is crucial to success. Given that the DR has a large tourism industry (and expat for that matter) that may be interested in camping, my thinking was that an article that gave insight into how camping became a cultural thing in the US would be helpful.

Additionally, understanding how the camping culture developed in another country could help with the development of a camping culture in the DR.

I get that creating a thread that has a focus outside of the DR would be outside of this website's vision... But that wasn't the case here... My comment was surely aligned with the context of this thread... Which is DR-focused.

North American tourists may just be avid campers... European tourists may just be avid campers... And a better understanding of what drives their camping disposition could provide insight into how to develop a camping product in the DR that would appeal to both.

Thanks.

Reactions: CristoRey

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Additionally, understanding how the camping culture developed in another country could help with the development of a camping culture in the DR.

North American tourists may just be avid campers... European tourists may just be avid campers... And a better understanding of what drives their camping disposition could provide insight into how to develop a camping product in the DR that would appeal to both.

Thanks.
On the other hand, I disagree since DR1 has a laser beam focus on the" Dominican" culture.It's unique and a subject that is discussed hundreds of times per week. Where is there room then , and why, would members here enjoy why other cultures developed a love of camping?
Well, you have taking me OT so to speak so I'll leave it at that.

MoJoInDR

Aug 23, 2023
Austin, Texas
On the other hand, I disagree since DR1 has a laser beam focus on the" Dominican" culture.It's unique and a subject that is discussed hundreds of times per week. Where is there room then , and why, would members here enjoy why other cultures developed a love of camping?
Well, you have taking me OT so to speak so I'll leave it at that.

Regarding this that you said... "...and why, would members here enjoy why other cultures developed a love of camping?...".

First... I specifically placed this thread in the "...Business..." section for the purpose of generating a discussion on the topic of "...Camping, Campgrounds in The DR..."... As related to the context of the business of "...Camping, Campgrounds in The DR...".

Second... A major business industry in the DR is tourism, and throughout the world, there is a growing consumer market for what is called ecotourism.

Third... The activity of camping, which can include campgrounds, is an aspect of ecotourism.

Fourth... North Americans and Europeans, two of the larger tourist groups that come to the DR, both have active camping enthusiasts who could become consumers of a camping/campgrounds product in the DR (and in a limited way actually already are).

Fifth... Given the business potential for tourism-focused camping/campgrounds in the DR, proper, prudent business development requires learning about target markets, which would normally include learning about related cultures.

Additionally...

Regarding the business potential for camping/campgrounds within the local DR market, there should be no doubt that North American culture can, and has, influenced other cultures around the world... Including the DR culture. With this in mind, in considering the business potential for camping/campgrounds within the local DR consumer market, it would certainly be prudent to learn about the cultural development related to camping/campgrounds that took place in North America.

Here are some financial stats on the worldwide camping industry...

• Revenue in the Camping market is projected to reach US$43.89bn in 2023.
• Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2023-2027) of 9.12%, resulting in a projected market volume of US$62.23bn by 2027.
• In the Camping market, the number of users is expected to amount to 385.10m users by 2027.
• User penetration is projected to be 3.3% in 2023 and 4.8% by 2027.
• The average revenue per user (ARPU) is expected to amount to US$171.70.
• In the Camping market, 59% of total revenue will be generated through online sales by 2027.
• In global comparison, most revenue will be generated in the United States (US$22,710.00m in 2023).

Here are some financial stats on the DR camping industry...

• Revenue in the Camping market is projected to reach US$1.67m in 2023.
• Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2023-2027) of 3.01%, resulting in a projected market volume of US$1.88m by 2027.
• In the Camping market, the number of users is expected to amount to 20.80k users by 2027.
• User penetration is projected to be 0.2% in 2023 and 0.2% by 2027.
• The average revenue per user (ARPU) is expected to amount to US$82.73.

The camping/campground industry is in a growth cycle and is forecast to be in this growth cycle for the next four years.

Again...

I created this thread in the "...Business..." section specifically to discuss the business potential of camping/campgrounds in the DR, and I believe that tourism and possible North American cultural influence can play an important role in the possible development of the camping/campground industry in the DR.

This is why I presented the article about camping culture development in the US as a possible business development resource.

Hope the above addresses your concern.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Regarding this that you said... "...and why, would members here enjoy why other cultures developed a love of camping?...".

First... I specifically placed this thread in the "...Business..." section for the purpose of generating a discussion on the topic of "...Camping, Campgrounds in The DR..."... As related to the context of the business of "...Camping, Campgrounds in The DR...".

Second... A major business industry in the DR is tourism, and throughout the world, there is a growing consumer market for what is called ecotourism.

Third... The activity of camping, which can include campgrounds, is an aspect of ecotourism.

Fourth... North Americans and Europeans, two of the larger tourist groups that come to the DR, both have active camping enthusiasts who could become consumers of a camping/campgrounds product in the DR (and in a limited way actually already are).

Fifth... Given the business potential for tourism-focused camping/campgrounds in the DR, proper, prudent business development requires learning about target markets, which would normally include learning about related cultures.

Additionally...

Regarding the business potential for camping/campgrounds within the local DR market, there should be no doubt that North American culture can, and has, influenced other cultures around the world... Including the DR culture. With this in mind, in considering the business potential for camping/campgrounds within the local DR consumer market, it would certainly be prudent to learn about the cultural development related to camping/campgrounds that took place in North America.

• Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2023-2027) of 9.12%, resulting in a projected market volume of US$62.23bn by 2027.
• In the Camping market, the number of users is expected to amount to 385.10m users by 2027.
• In the Camping market, 59% of total revenue will be generated through online sales by 2027.
• In global comparison, most revenue will be generated in the United States (US$22,710.00m in 2023).

• Revenue is expected to show an annual growth rate (CAGR 2023-2027) of 3.01%, resulting in a projected market volume of US$1.88m by 2027.
• In the Camping market, the number of users is expected to amount to 20.80k users by 2027.

The camping/campground industry is in a growth cycle and is forecast to be in this growth cycle for the next four years.

Again...

I created this thread in the "...Business..." section specifically to discuss the business potential of camping/campgrounds in the DR, and I believe that tourism and possible North American cultural influence can play an important role in the possible development of the camping/campground industry in the DR.

This is why I presented the article about camping culture development in the US as a possible business development resource.

The best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do in the development of your business ideas.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic

Additionally...

Again...

Spam and/or crap