Juan Dolio / Villas Del Mar Construction Updates

JALopez

Jan 13, 2008
Interesting?

the current crop of investors will come from all over. Perhaps the effort should be concentrated on projects that develope added secondary services, which to date are a serious component that is lacking.

Please elaborate a little bit. I have an investor who is high on DR and wants in. Please note, this is a serious inquiry, not a scam. Interested in deals 5 million and up.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Interesting

RESPONDING TO JALOPEZ- There are strategic, important advantages to the Juan Dolio area that will attract savy investors who seek long term property appreciation, and who are interested in a more urbanized tropical vacation- blending benefits of beach, golf, sun and fun, with more sophisticated cultural aspects unavailable at destination locations- locked in resorts.
Juan Dolio, to be truly successful, requires secondary infrastructure that includes family activities, entertainment, better international schools and medical facilities (being improved as this is written), and a variety of commercial alternatives for shopping and spending - engine of a permanent local economy.
Whereas San Pedro is available, it is quite behind in terms of hygenic quality, and it lacks the better end restaurants in exhange for beer joints and a poorly maintained malecon. You can forget Boca Chica, where the restaurants play host to all inclusive strays and a good number of locals of questionable repute. Its not the best area to wander in after nightfall.
Santo Domingo, 40 minutes away, provides a cultural basket of alternatives- form the colonial zone, to excelent restaurants, movie theatres, sports events and art exhibitions and much, much more. This is an invaluable asset unavailable at the coastal communities now being built and sold internationally.

For Juan Dolio to expand and populate with a consistent number of permanent inhabitants, and for the real estate market to emerge from a speculative, first buyer grab to a market with adequate well priced liquidity, the current infrastructure is a far cry from what is needed.

I encourage the developers to lay off on the beaches and the mega-projects for a while, allow for the market to develop, and instead focus on economic infrastructure before white elephants roam the beaches, carrying thousands of upset investors.

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
I agree, Fernandez

I'm new to this thread, but what strucks me is the big number of apartment buildings. Who will live in those buildings ? Dominicans or foreigners ?
Next. Which Dominicans, or which foreigners ?
My first take is that's a very speculative market now in JD, but I might be wrong.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
...There are strategic, important advantages to the Juan Dolio area that will attract savy investors who seek long term property appreciation, and who are interested in a more urbanized tropical vacation- blending benefits of beach, golf, sun and fun, with more sophisticated cultural aspects unavailable at destination locations- locked in resorts.
Juan Dolio, to be truly successful, requires secondary infrastructure that includes family activities, entertainment, better international schools and medical facilities (being improved as this is written), and a variety of commercial alternatives for shopping and spending - engine of a permanent local economy.
...Santo Domingo, 40 minutes away, provides a cultural basket of alternatives- form the colonial zone, to excelent restaurants, movie theatres, sports events and art exhibitions and much, much more. This is an invaluable asset unavailable at the coastal communities now being built and sold internationally...

You are right about the strategic advantages of Juan Dolio area . About secondary infrastructure ... It is all coming to Juan Dolio as well . And the main reason why people invest in Juan Dolio is because it is a beach, golf destination ... near Santo Domingo with all the Capital City has to offer !

andrewc52002

Feb 6, 2007
You are right about the strategic advantages of Juan Dolio area . About secondary infrastructure ... It is all coming to Juan Dolio as well . And the main reason why people invest in Juan Dolio is because it is a beach, golf destination ... near Santo Domingo with all the Capital City has to offer !

Wow !!! I'll go to JD to be there, not for SD !! If I want "what Capital City has to offer", I'd go to SD, not JD. My question is still who's moving into those thousands of apartments in those high-rise buildings ? And if you look carefully, the answer is "nobody" ... or extraterestrials !
Thank you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In my limited experience it is rich Dominicans from the capital who come for the weekend, or Americans who are buying for investment. They are almost always empty - even the blocks that are finished.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
... My question is still who's moving into those thousands of apartments in those high-rise buildings ? And if you look carefully, the answer is "nobody" ... or extraterestrials !..

Probably the same extraterrestrials that are moving into thousands of apartments in Santo Domingo :alien: ... or Cabarete :alien: ... or Samana :alien: ... or Punta Cana :alien: ... or Puerto Plata :alien: ... or maybe La Romana :alien:

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Developers are in the business of building. If the financing is there, the buidings will go up. The question of who buys is another one, a marketing issue - the real risk is to the bondholders and financiers, and those who have put equity into a project with future expectations that might/might not be met.
I would consider any very aggressive projects today as "suspect", and be cautious concerning the deployment of capital towards the same. I fully feel that the market in Juan Dolio needs first to cement itself, create liquidity that can be met, and then expand.
Expansion of rooms/units, for the sake of itself, is a self defeating effort.
Seen it happen many times before- will see it again, hopefully not here.

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
Marbella by Metro update

Marbella by Metro : 1st phase Tower 1 - 6 planned floors are done , Tower II - 8 out of 12 floors are done , Tower III - 7 out of 12 floors are done . The 2nd phase ( 2 more Towers ) is on already - they are digging up the foundation right now .

STEVE G.

Bronze
Apr 2, 2006
community.webshots.com
New high rise construction in Villas Del Mar

Right next to Plaza Real Resort and behind the future Costa Del Sol II Parking in front of Costa Del Sol few big lots were cleaned up . They have started the foundation already for 16 floors building ...