Renewing Residency in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Renewing (And not having the old one) or changing passports gets you the maximum departure fee (Currently around $17,000 pesos), regardless of how long you have been here.

Just saw this, good info.

Does this apply to first time application? I have Dominican family.

THIS APPLIES TO NON-DOMINICANS.

If you do not have your "original passport" you used to enter the country, on departure from the DR, you will be charged the maximum fee unless you have the paper from immigration in Santo Domingo. No copies will be accepted. This was told to us by the immigration official in Santiago.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009

If you do not have your "original passport" you used to enter the country, on departure from the DR, you will be charged the maximum fee unless you have the paper from immigration in Santo Domingo. No copies will be accepted. This was told to us by the immigration official in Santiago.
-QUOTE]

Just out of curiousity: If my passport were to be stolen, would I have to pay the penalty, since I would not be traveling with the passport I used to enter the country?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Just out of curiousity: If my passport were to be stolen, would I have to pay the penalty, since I would not be traveling with the passport I used to enter the country?
That was the exact situation with my friend, his passport was stolen.

Unless you go to Santo Domingo and get a paper from immigration you will pay the maximum penalty.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

hi3cmz

Oct 19, 2009
Now for people with 10 or more years of permanent residence, one can renew for maximun of 10 years, I got 6 years valid card for around 8~9K pesos, they do have a tariff table, maybe somebody on the forum can post it...

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Well the thing is I'm not Dominican but do have immediate Dominican family. I still have my original (USA) passport and ticket stub [though from what I understand from you that's not what you're talking about] and family told me that showing a parents Dominican birth certificate would suffice. Not sure of that though.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Now for people with 10 or more years of permanent residence, one can renew for maximun of 10 years, I got 6 years valid card for around 8~9K pesos, they do have a tariff table, maybe somebody on the forum can post it...

I have to renew in September. How did you find out about the long-term renewal. Did they offer it, or do you have to request it?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Well the thing is I'm not Dominican but do have immediate Dominican family. I still have my original (USA) passport and ticket stub [though from what I understand from you that's not what you're talking about] and family told me that showing a parents Dominican birth certificate would suffice. Not sure of that though.
Your statement is a little confusing.

If either of "YOUR" parents are Dominican, then "YOU" are Dominican, and you should claim that right and get your cedular.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Just as updated info, I renewed my permanent residency in Santo Domingo this week, 2 months before it was due to expire. The only difference is that instead of expiring in Sept 2012, it will now expire in July 2012, so I lost the extra two months.

Bought the formulario for $100, filled it out, turned it in and waited 45 minutes for authorization. Then paid the $2500 fee and $2000 for VIP service, and waited another 45 minutes to get called for the photos. Another 30 minutes, and there was my fresh residency card.

Came in at 8:45, and walked out at 11:25. About as efficient as they can make it I guess. They still had time to peruse the newspapers while working.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Is it still possible.........

.......to renew your residency in Santiago?????..........

1. Does anyone have any updated info on doing this in Santiago????.....and

2. WHAT is the earliest that you can apply for a renewal prior to your expiration date????

Thanks for any updated info.....

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for the upated info.........

Go three to four weeks before it expires. I went two weeks before and paid a small fee for being "Late" despite being two weeks early. (Only a Dominican could explain why I have to pay a late fee if I am in a government office before it expires.)

If they have your photo on file in Santo Domingo, you will get your residency back in about a month. Many photos were lost in a computer crash. If they don't have it on file, you will have to go to Santo Domingo anyway to get your picture taken unless by some miracle they replaced the camera in Santiago.

I would suggest calling Migracion in Santiago for further information.

Since you were just there, is it still located where it was about 2 years ago? I believe it was on Avienda Texas on the second floor of some plaza?..I am sure that any info on an updated address and telephone number would appreciated by everyone!..:bunny::bunny:

.ALSO, a friend of mine just renewed theirs in SANTO DOMINGO and they were now given an option of either 2 / 5 or 10 years.......do you know if this is an option in Santiago?

Thanks,

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If it isn't on the corner of Avenida 27 de Febrero and Avenida Texas it is very close to it. I got there from the Puerto Plata direcion on Avenida Estrella Sadhala, took a right onto Avenida 27 de Febrero, went a bit further then the Caribe Tours station and Migracion is on the second floor of a building on the right side of Avenida 27 de Febrero. Sound familiar? I believe there is a BHD bank and a blood laboratory on the first floor of that plaza.

I was not given the option of renewing residency for longer than 2 years. I think you have to have your residency for 10 years or more to get that offer and I am a little shy of that number.
Your directions are correct, however, Avenida Texas has a new name, I don?t know it?s new name. The turn to Migracion from Avenida 27 de Febrero is your first right after turning onto Avenida 27 de Febrero, when you turn right there will be a parking lot on the right, Migracion is on your left after the turn from Avenida 27 de Febrero.

Santiago loves to go around and change the name of streets that people have known for years.

When I was in Migracion the woman was giving someone directions on the phone to get there, and even she was unaware of the name change of Avenida Texas.

Another note, if you renew in Santiago and still have to go to SD for the picture, YOU DO NOT have to pay the VIP charge.

When you get to Migracion in SD, go to window 10 with the paper from Santiago, the clerk will give you a numbered ticket.

When the number is called you go get your picture taken.

You then return to the waiting room and I was told that they would call you to window 9 to get your Card, DON?T BELIEVE IT.

When you hear them call the next group to get their pictures taken, go to window 9 to see if they now have your card. Otherwise you will be sitting there all day waiting for your name to be called.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

Reactions: waytogo

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When you hear them call the next group to get their pictures taken, go to window 9 to see if they now have your card. Otherwise you will be sitting there all day waiting for your name to be called.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

And you know this how......lol
I would still be sitting there....
Good thing you were awake when I was snoozing.....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
For those in Santiago I'll be going this week or next week to do my medical exam if anybody wants to share a ride.

Also, I talked to the lawyer last week at migracion and they say you can do evertyhing now here in Santiago, minus the medical visit. I'll keep everyone posted.

Reactions: waytogo

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Your directions are correct, however, Avenida Texas has a new name, I don?t know it?s new name. The turn to Migracion from Avenida 27 de Febrero is your first right after turning onto Avenida 27 de Febrero, when you turn right there will be a parking lot on the right, Migracion is on your left after the turn from Avenida 27 de Febrero.

t9d26v.gif

SantiagoDR

....Residency Renewal as of 7 Sept 10 in Santiago.....

...Info correct as of 7 Sept 10....

In case anyone is interested......

Avenida Texas is know known as "Avenida Padre Ramon Dubert".......

Migracion is located on the second floor of the plaza located at the corner of "Avenida Padre Ramon Dubert" and "Avenida 27 de Febrero"....

I WAS ABLE to renew my residencia for 10 years today IN SANTIAGO at a cost of $12,500.RD after being told that I had to go to Santo Domingo instead. There are further details that anyone who is interested in renewing in Santiago should be aware of if they don't want to have to make a trip to Santo Domingo, but can't / shouldn't be posted here......If you wish the details, PM me and I will send you the details of my experience.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
....Residency Renewal as of 7 Sept 10 in Santiago.....

...Info correct as of 7 Sept 10....

In case anyone is interested......

Avenida Texas is know known as "Avenida Padre Ramon Dubert".......

Migracion is located on the second floor of the plaza located at the corner of "Avenida Padre Ramon Dubert" and "Avenida 27 de Febrero"....

I WAS ABLE to renew my residencia for 10 years today IN SANTIAGO at a cost of $12,500.RD after being told that I had to go to Santo Domingo instead. There are further details that anyone who is interested in renewing in Santiago should be aware of if they don't want to have to make a trip to Santo Domingo, but can't / shouldn't be posted here......If you wish the details, PM me and I will send you the details of my experience.

I'd really like to know more details. I need to convert my temp.residency to permanent in December. Can this be done also in Santiago? I was told it will be valid only to 2 years. It sounds great if you can get it for 10.
Thanks for the info!

The Hun

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
I'd really like to know more details. I need to convert my temp.residency to permanent in December. Can this be done also in Santiago? I was told it will be valid only to 2 years. It sounds great if you can get it for 10.
Thanks for the info!

The Hun

I am pretty sure that the 10 years wouldn't apply to you since you don't even have the permanent one yet.........Also not sure if you can change from temp to permanent in Santiago.........

Someone else may know the answer...........

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I am pretty sure that the 10 years wouldn't apply to you since you don't even have the permanent one yet.........Also not sure if you can change from temp to permanent in Santiago.........

Someone else may know the answer...........

According to the lawyer yes you can go for the permanent from the provisional.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Has there been any updates on getting your permanent residency renewed in Puerto Plata or do you need to go to SD or Santiago. Also do you need to renew your cedula in SD only