Confused =/

skittlez

Nov 9, 2009
I just found out I?m Dominican. So you?re probably wondering how I didn?t know in the first place, well my dad doesn?t claim he is and I had to find out through my cousin. By telling you all this it should be clear that my dad and I aren?t that close. So I?m wondering if I should say I am Dominican? I don?t want to offend anyone so please don?t take this the wrong way.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I just found out I?m Dominican. So you?re probably wondering how I didn?t know in the first place, well my dad doesn?t claim he is and I had to find out through my cousin. By telling you all this it should be clear that my dad and I aren?t that close. So I?m wondering if I should say I am Dominican? I don?t want to offend anyone so please don?t take this the wrong way.

What does your dad claim he is?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
ohh youre dads one of THOSE? i have met a few. they claim to be african american because they think its superior to being a dark immigrant--so they change their last names and pretend they have no idea where they come from .....but...yeah...its disturbing. Denial of any kind usually is.

If your dad is Dominican then you're half Dominican. You dont have to claim it if you dont feel its who you are....its up to you to define yourself.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Within the context of your question -which is obviously cultural-, if you speak spanish, like bachata and merengue then I would say that yes you are Dominican.

skittlez

Nov 9, 2009
thanks
yes i guess he is . . .
i'm just going to claim it because it is who i am

but he isnt dark; he's really light.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
skittlez, well whatever. dark, light the point is some want to be "american" and not immigrants in any way. sometimes the closest you get is by claiming black if you cant pass for white. *shrugs shoulders*

and congrats and welcome to the club! :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Where were you born ? If America you are American if not you are something else. If my mother was from kenya and my father from russia and I was born and raised in the uk ,I would be British

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Where were you born ? If America you are American if not you are something else. If my mother was from kenya and my father from russia and I was born and raised in the uk ,I would be British
I like that answer. I'm fed up wih the terms some people use. I'm Asian American, I'm African American etc. Give me a break. You were born in the USA = you're American, You were born in the UK, you're British, you were born in Canada, you're Canadian. Who cares what colour you are. I have a niece who married a black American. They have a beautifull baby that's going to be African/American/Canadian. But her parents are from South America. Oh ****. Getting complicated.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1, skittlez :). Are you still at school?

If my mother was from kenya and my father from russia and I was born and raised in the uk ,I would be British

It's a nice answer jr, but is it, strictly speaking, accurate? There are various requirements which have to be met........
UK Border Agency | Children born in the United Kingdom

You must remember the old chestnut if a cat had kittens in the oven, you wouldn't call them biscuits, would you? It's been around since at least 1938.............apparently (scroll to page 2 here).
http://circanceast.beaufortccc.edu/brown/local%20personalities/now%20and%20then/PDF/Now%20&%20Then%20(BL134).pdf

skittlez, I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would be happy to help you trace your roots, if you need any assistance.

There are some resources here:
Genealogy : Dominican Republic : Selected Internet Resources (Portals to the World, Library of Congress)

Dominican Republic Genealogy Forum

Good luck and have fun on your journey of discovery.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I believe according to Dominican law, if either one of your parents are Dominican, then you are considered to also be a Dominican by birth.

You can get a Dominican cedula by applying for it with the proper proof.

The U.S. and the D.R. recognizes dual citizenship, so if you are also an American, you are entitled to dual citizenship (U.S. & D.R.).

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
If your father was born in the Dominican Republic or he's a Dominican citizen, then by all means you are entitled to file for Dominican Citizenship!!!

It's a very simple process to perform on your time!

About your question that reflects more of a cultural/heritage thing than of legality and/or citizenship rights: Yes! You can call or claim yourself to be Dominican anytime you so wish to do so! Even if your father denies it, the fact that a cousin is able to verify his Dominican legitimacy is more than enough!

Now go a buy a Presidente beer and toast to your newly found heritage!!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
my parents were from Lancashire, but I was born in Cheshire does that mean Im really Lancastrian Im so confused