El-CATEY

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
can not tell you. What i know is that its far more easier and better/safer to go from Las Americas to Samana than by Puerto Plata.

From Las Americas airport to el catey airport you do in 1 hr. Puerto Plata - El Catey around 2.5 hrs.

bonnebete

Jul 31, 2009
Yes, it is tiresome being a US Citizen, but also does have its perks! The government is killing us, which is why the Caribbean, and RD in particular, is so alluring. I certainly hope they get at least one US flight into El Catey....mine!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is something wrong about this non-US flights into el Catey.....

AA used to have regular flights from Puerto Rico..... props, 45 minute flight (about)
Cancelled for lack of traffic, I think.

It was easy.... No Am to San Juan and jump over.

I'm Flying into AZS on Saturday..... WestJet from YYZ

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
call me selfish but i am glad there are no US flights to samana. the drive isn't that bad and car rentals are cheaper at SDQ(or at least in SD) no offence to my fellow americans but the lack thereof is one of the many reasons i like the area.

bonnebete

Jul 31, 2009
Very true, I agree completely that being a little difficult to get to makes Samana very attractive, still I want to find a better way to do it! I have not ventured into car rentals...only done Prestige(awesome but expensive) and local(taxi to Caribe to guagua, very reasonable and fun but time consuming and not amenable to schedules). I hear there is soon to be a newly paved road to Samana that eliminates the need to go over the mountain on those crappy roads, when will it be done and where does it connect?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I was at a garage yesterday and overheard some tourists struggling with limited spanish, a decent vehicle and at a low end garage. after the conversation was over I went over and quietly asked if I could be of any assistance. I heard a muttered thanks and everything is under control response with a bit of attitude. maybe I am overly sensitive but i felt like he should have added, i don't need your help after all I am an american. Not the first time I felt that way.
I heard from a gossip but a good gossip source the el catey to LT road will be open to traffic officially in September and with a bit of good luck like they had on the first leg, maybe even August.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Very true, I agree completely that being a little difficult to get to makes Samana very attractive, still I want to find a better way to do it! I have not ventured into car rentals...only done Prestige(awesome but expensive) and local(taxi to Caribe to guagua, very reasonable and fun but time consuming and not amenable to schedules). I hear there is soon to be a newly paved road to Samana that eliminates the need to go over the mountain on those crappy roads, when will it be done and where does it connect?

Go backto posts 14 - 15 -16 or so..... starts just past the airport..... should open this year.... hopefully soon.

bonnebete

Jul 31, 2009
That is very good news since I am planning a trip this fall. Now don't go stereotyping...we aren't all hideous ;-) Do you know what the road will be called/named?

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
It looks like some people are thinking that Samana or Las Terrenas can not be reached.

-The road over the mountains from Sanchez to Las Terrenas: i take it 2 or 3 times a week without any problems, like hundreds of people are doing every day. Its not a masterpiece in road, but improved and still improving.
-i spoke 2 days ago with the colonel and main engineer in charge of the BTA (Boulevard del Atlantico). They told me it should be open in september this year.
-Infrastructure in Samana belongs within 1 year to the BEST in the country. 80% is done.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
yes tony dom you are absolutely right. now if we could just get something done with the most impressive power rates in the world.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
well bonnebete, I have a lot of american friends i love and adore and highly respect. please come and prove the rest of those morons are not typical.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
flashback

I had a flashback moment to a weird and wonderful time a long time ago when i backpacked through europe and asia. we got treated so well as canadians a lot of americans started sewing canadian flags on their backpacks in an attempt to rid them selves of the stereotyping. they never realized that there is a lot more to avoiding being stereotyped than changing colors. they never got it they were being stereotyped for a reason.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Take care of what you consuming. Las Terrenas power is expensive, that is true. In the world, i doubt... On the other hand, we have 99% of the time electricity.
When you live for example in Samana, out of Luz y Fuerza electricity compny, you are almost obliged to have a generator. Here in LT you can do with a simple inversor.
On the other hand: i own a 650 m2 villa, 6 bedrooms, 117 m2 pool. When you come here now (its 9 o clock in the evening, everything is on, lights in the pool, in the garden. When i go to sleep i use my airco, etc.

But i invested in led light system, a special very low consuming poolpump from pentair, led garden lights. When i bought my 2 fridges i looked at what their consume rate is, as well for my aircos. Its also a matter of planning. I pay at this moment around 300 usd per month.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Take care of what you consuming. Las Terrenas power is expensive, that is true. In the world, i doubt... On the other hand, we have 99% of the time electricity.
When you live for example in Samana, out of Luz y Fuerza electricity compny, you are almost obliged to have a generator. Here in LT you can do with a simple inversor.
On the other hand: i own a 650 m2 villa, 6 bedrooms, 117 m2 pool. When you come here now (its 9 o clock in the evening, everything is on, lights in the pool, in the garden. When i go to sleep i use my airco, etc.

But i invested in led light system, a special very low consuming poolpump from pentair, led garden lights. When i bought my 2 fridges i looked at what their consume rate is, as well for my aircos. Its also a matter of planning. I pay at this moment around 300 usd per month.

Did you read the thread here that warns you that your TV Cable box consumes as much energy as a 'fridge?
Food for thought........ I'm killing myself trying to remember if I left mine turned on..

I'll know Saturday............I'm all solar w/ a diesel planta....

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Cable box consuming as much energy as fridge... Perhaps the fridge has the size of a cable box...
I have 4 boxes installed... Sky.
So i have 6 fridges in total. Totally nonsense.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
power containment

well I don;t have all those excesses and extravagances that tonydom has in life so my power bill here is not nearly that high but ...... i bet if all of north american took up his investment strategy in energy cost reduction part, we could avert a few wars, seriously.