El-CATEY

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Take care of what you consuming. Las Terrenas power is expensive, that is true. In the world, i doubt... On the other hand, we have 99% of the time electricity.
When you live for example in Samana, out of Luz y Fuerza electricity compny, you are almost obliged to have a generator. Here in LT you can do with a simple inversor.
On the other hand: i own a 650 m2 villa, 6 bedrooms, 117 m2 pool. When you come here now (its 9 o clock in the evening, everything is on, lights in the pool, in the garden. When i go to sleep i use my airco, etc.

But i invested in led light system, a special very low consuming poolpump from pentair, led garden lights. When i bought my 2 fridges i looked at what their consume rate is, as well for my aircos. Its also a matter of planning. I pay at this moment around 300 usd per month.

Nice job!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I want solar AND wind..... I'll sleep better

Here you go.... read this..

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/26/us/26cable.html?_r=1

about your cable box(es).... all 4

See WW, that's what bothers me a bit...no stable luz...being depended from solar panels and if possible a wind mill...we have the joy now of living in an A-zone...I know, you get easely spoiled that way having 'always' electricity...but damn Abreu is beautiful but gonna stick for now somewhere between Sosua and Cabarete...but who knows in time...we have time and still a lot to do.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hi:
The problem at El Catey is actually the current radar system that they employ. Evidently is does not meet the requirements for the FAA in the US. I read about 6 months ago that the Dominican Gov. is going to upgrade the systems at a couple of airports, including Puerta Plata. The system they currently employ does meet FAA requirements and it is supposed to be brought to El Catey and used to replace the original one installed when the airport opened. Why they originally would put a system in that did not meet US requirements is baffling. Replacing the current radar at El Catey will open the door for flights from the US. To answer your original question, it will probably be at least 9 months to a year before this happens.

S

The radars were hand me downs from Las Americas and Punta Cana...

Now they'll get the new ones as they reached enough traffic to pay it off long term!

About those posters claiming the fuel costs as the reason for cancels: B.S.!

Talk about something you know, because of this you don't know jack!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The radars were hand me downs from Las Americas and Punta Cana...

Now they'll get the new ones as they reached enough traffic to pay it off long term!

About those posters claiming the fuel costs as the reason for cancels: B.S.!

Talk about something you know, because of this you don't know jack!

Pichardo, I have always respected your views and opinions. This time though, I have to waver. So why do 3 major carriers cancel their flights into POP? Because they did not have enough customers? Nope, all flights were always filled up to capacity.

I will not claim I know the reason, because I do not. I only know those 3 flights per week will cost the DR up to 50,000 tourists a year, probably a hell of a lot more, so a couple of more hotels closing, and a couple of hundreds or thousands more people unemployed.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
The flights were seasonal and their spots in the origin airports are positioned to the best benefits.
That's what happened and not based on fuel costs as many here try to portrait as the "it"!

Another aspect is that the companies pre-sell their cargo space and that area has little benefit for that precious cargo payload as of yet there.

Fuel prices are just a footnote for companies in the biz, since all of them started to pass the buck to fares from a while ago in the form of surcharges.

Ask me if you don't know for I worked with the sector for a looooong time and I mean worldwide! Both in the civilian and military sectors.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The flights were seasonal and their spots in the origin airports are positioned to the best benefits.
That's what happened and not based on fuel costs as many here try to portrait as the "it"!

Another aspect is that the companies pre-sell their cargo space and that area has little benefit for that precious cargo payload as of yet there.

Fuel prices are just a footnote for companies in the biz, since all of them started to pass the buck to fares from a while ago in the form of surcharges.

Ask me if you don't know for I worked with the sector for a looooong time and I mean worldwide! Both in the civilian and military sectors.

Jetairfly used to fly, for the past 3 years or longer, on POP twice a week and a flight to PC. They then reduced it to once a week on POP and a flight to PC. They further reduced it to a flight once a week to POP, continuing onwards to PC. As from the end of october there will no longer be a flight to POP. Flights have always been fully booked

It sometimes was even difficult to find an available flight. I have only noticed the flights becoming more and more expensive, and the service going down and down.

So? Give me the reason? I know they will not fly to El Catey. There are some uninformed rumors (through some contacts I have in Belgium) that they will fly to SD.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Jetairfly used to fly, for the past 3 years or longer, on POP twice a week and a flight to PC. They then reduced it to once a week on POP and a flight to PC. They further reduced it to a flight once a week to POP, continuing onwards to PC. As from the end of october there will no longer be a flight to POP. Flights have always been fully booked

It sometimes was even difficult to find an available flight. I have only noticed the flights becoming more and more expensive, and the service going down and down.

So? Give me the reason? I know they will not fly to El Catey. There are some uninformed rumors (through some contacts I have in Belgium) that they will fly to SD.

It's about profit from all the space in the planes, a plane loaded with passengers, but a few pounds of commercial cargo is not profitable for transatlantic flights at all. Samana still needs to grow more and the roads improved so that cargo can be cheap to haul to and back from the airport. Puerto Plata is facing the same trouble, with a road network that barely can be called safe for hauling stuff and still petrol prices drive back profits in the local transport rackets.

There's more to flights than transporting just people! Did you know that many foreign banks do transport large amounts of precious metal and currency in passenger cargo flights???

El catey is too young to support that type of round biz, or else a company that's smart enough to presell their hulls as they do in Punta Cana will come along and wise up. But then again that's part of the good chunk of biz they do in the air!

Read this:

"While Ryanair doesn?t use surcharges to pass on costs from unhedged fuel, price escalators employed by carriers such as British Airways tend to boost demand for the Irish company?s flights, pushing up yields or fares, Cawley said. Average ticket prices rose 15 percent in the fiscal third quarter, he said.

?Fuel surcharges are creating a fairly benign yield environment for them,? said Joe Gill, an analyst at Bloxham Securities in Dublin with an ?outperform? rating on Ryanair. The carrier?s hedging position is also ?very important? as the situation in Egypt make it vital to have supplies ?locked away.?"

The reality is that each carrier weights their options to make the services where they can turn the upmost profit ratios. Samana still needs time and infrastructure to reach that point for the carriers. Carriers that stuff their planes to the max are those that have their avtur hedged and therefore must make the best use of it whilst they can.

Taxes are nothing when you're buying tons of jet fuel and loaded with cargo that supports that expense roundtrip. The planes landed loaded in the seats and belly, but left with the seats full and belly hungry from Catey...

It's that simple!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
See WW, that's what bothers me a bit...no stable luz...being depended from solar panels and if possible a wind mill...we have the joy now of living in an A-zone...I know, you get easely spoiled that way having 'always' electricity...but damn Abreu is beautiful but gonna stick for now somewhere between Sosua and Cabarete...but who knows in time...we have time and still a lot to do.

I have a large battery bank and a diesel planta..... constant power.
Adding wind to the equation would mean the planta would almost never get used......

How much is my diesel fuel and how much is the windmill..... easy arithmetic.
For now, I'm staying w/ diesel.

Now back to the main program!! :))

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I understand Pichardo..... yes, I knew about the banks.

One reason why people like Samana/LT is because it is less crowded....
Those same people are asking for more flights...

That will change life for them.

In fact LT was one of the reasons we chose to buy and live on the north coast.

On our first trip (2008) we visited LT.... it was awful......
Rainy, ....streets were wet and muddy...

But if you looked closely you saw that all the town had new curbs and gutters....
It appeared a new sewer system was being installed..
Every single bank in the country had a brand new building...
New gas stations.....
Construction....

The place was ready to explode....... I thought.

The new toll road wasn't open yet but that was another plus.
El Catey was shiny and new..... we flew in there 1 month later thru San Juan.

All of those factors pointed to the fact in 3-5 years, teh north coast would be more accesible from SD and was ready for expnasion.

We bought and built in Cabrera.

Thus far, the area is more accessible, the economy has taken a hit..... time will tell.

The airport will get new radar and more traffic.
The LT road will open this year....
I'm sure there will more news to come.

I'm still optomistic...:squareeye

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Pichardo, I have always respected your views and opinions. This time though, I have to waver. So why do 3 major carriers cancel their flights into POP? Because they did not have enough customers? Nope, all flights were always filled up to capacity.

I will not claim I know the reason, because I do not. I only know those 3 flights per week will cost the DR up to 50,000 tourists a year, probably a hell of a lot more, so a couple of more hotels closing, and a couple of hundreds or thousands more people unemployed.

You are talking POP and Pichardo is talking el Catey, apples and oranges. The lack of technology at el Cately has nothing to do with cancelled flights at POP. POP is on the down swing, high operating costs are a part of that. El Catey would boom if more flights from the US came in. And they will come in time when the tech is good.
I'm not sure I would want the Samana peninsula to Boom, too many Canadians already.lol

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
we americans are waiting !!!! someone plz get us some flights to El Catey !!!

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Take the flight to Santo Domingo las Americas airport. From Las Americas to El Catey is only 50 minutes, so you only loose 50 minutes.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
American Airlines to increase its daily flights to Dominican Republic

Santo Domingo.– American Airlines will increase to 25 its daily flights from the United States to the Dominican Republic’s major international airports.

From Miami to Punta Cana International Airport, American Airlines will increase to three its daily flights between both airports. It will also add a second flight from New York to this destination. American Eagle, a subsidiary of AA, will add a third flight to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Between the airports of La Romana and San Juan (Puerto Rico), the carrier will increase flights from two per week to two per day. There will also be two daily flights at the Santiago International Airport to and from Miami and one to San Juan.

From Las Americas International Airport, American Eagle will offer four daily flights to San Juan and one to Haiti. With all the new flights, AA will offer three thousand seats daily to passengers traveling between the United States and the Dominican Republic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for too expensive jet fuel in the DR for carriers to make money, eh!

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
If and when the radar is installed, they will have to call in the people from the FAA to makesure it is up to par and installed to function correctly.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Canada’s top freight line eyes Punta Cana Airport as regional hub

Santo Domingo.- Punta Cana International Airport (AIPC) is known worldwide not only as the Caribbean’s most important tourist hub, it also boasts all the conditions to make it the best option to exchange freight from and to major trade destinations, such as the case of Canada.

Punta Cana’s infrastructure facilities, the quality services it offers and its strategic geographic location near major markets make give it the potential to become one of the major air cargo destinations for trade with markets such as Canada’s.

Octavio Cabrera and Jeff Murphy, representatives of Canada’s biggest carrier Air Transat Cargo, provided the information Friday while speaking on the topic “Canada, an attractive market for freight transport to Dominican Republic,” from the seminar “Punta Cana International Airport: Linking the world for freight import and export.”

They said those competitive advantages and Canada’s higher demand for products such as fruits and vegetables prompted Air Transat Cargo’s plan to use Punta Cana as its freight distribution hub for the entire Latin America and Caribbean region.

------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the key to making Catey an important airport for carriers in the DR...

Cargo is the #1 priority and income source for large carriers!!!

When the road network to Catey meets the standards and the cargo biz sees it as a viable and cheap option, then the carriers will add regular daily flights to major airports.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
we americans are waiting !!!! someone plz get us some flights to El Catey !!!

Be careful what you wish for Kyle. LT is already getting crowded with traffic jams, let's not ruin it too fast!

so how do i get there, by cab from SD?

Taxi is $200 or Caribe tours to Sanchez + Taxi or Caribe tours to Samana. The last bus leaves about 4 p.m. so a night in SD is often needed.