A New Playero!?!

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Lindsey,

Chocolate pudding and pie filling (Jell-O) (Disponible en Jose Luis)

Are you sure it is available? I live in Puerto Plata and have been to Jose Luis many times and all I have seen is the sugar free version. Not the normal one.

Curcuma (since safran is very expensive)
Fresh cilantro
Mascarpone cheese or a substitute like cream cheese (ok from time to time because I love preparing Tiramisu for my friends when I am in town)

Last time, I went to all the stores in Sosua and Cabarete to find some safran or curcuma and the only place where I've found something similar (industrial one) was in a restaurant in Santiago and the owner did not want to get paid. If he reads this, thanks!

Island Treats

Sep 5, 2003
SOSUALIVING.COM
I believe the first slip has to do with the addition to the store under construction. With more space they will be able to stock more products.

Not surprised about the second. I know that Gino and Rosi are very interested in good service. Each time there is a complaint posted I send it to them and am always thanked. The obviously can't be aware of everything that goes on in the store so depend on feedback to identify problems that need correction
Ken,
Ask them to stock more vegetarian products. Frozen Boca Burgers, Morning Star Meal Starters and Tofu.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Someone put Nathan's Hot Dogs on your list please.

Pleeeease ask them to get both the skinless and natural casing Sabrett Hot Dogs together with the Sabrett Onions in sauce!!!! Yeah Baby!!!!!!!! :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What I missed when I was there was a larger variety of non-dairy milk: soy, almond, rice, etc. oh, and fresh fish. Pass it along.

When my son visits, he buys soy milk at Playero. It is not in the cooler but on the shelf with other milk products.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008

I needed Curcuma for a recipe also checked all the stores in Puerto Plata and then went to Sosua and Playero had it! Just bought it 3 weeks ago. It is on this stand of seasonings and all the bottles have black and red wrapping. It also gives a description on the side of the stand of the various seasonings. It took a minute to find it but it is there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Response From Playero

Last night I sent the link to the thread to the Valconis, the owners of of Playero. This afternoon I received this response:

"Hi Ken:

Thanks for the link you sent me. I read all the comments as well as Gino, and took note of the things customers would like to have in Playero's shelves (some of them we already have there, like the Oxy, but they have not noticed them). Some of these, we already had read in the papers given to the people. Thanks again for your always valuable help. We wil try our best to satisfy our customers.

As always, thanks and your comments (they are greatly appreciated!)

Regards and welcome back from your vacation. Hope to see you soon!

Rosi"

Speaking now for myself, I hope everyone understands that when the store stocks items it expects them to sell in sufficient quantity to at least cover the cost of putting them on the shelves. If it stocks and item and the item doesn't sell because only one or two people in the area want it, it very likely will not be reordered. Which is how we would all operate a supermarket, I'm sure.

Lindsey, I am sending you a PM on another matter.

Aug 21, 2007
Many, many thanks to the Valconis. I know that I speak for many when I say that we appreciate the positive response and look forward to seeing some of these items- when available and cost effective- in Playero.

Lindsey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Addition That Is Under Construction

From Rosi Valconi:

"Regarding the addition, as you may have noticed, recently we have expanded the vegetables area and therefore need more space for other items. Our original plan is to widen the aisles to have more space available in the shelves, but sometimes as you work on a project you notice other needs and other ideas arise.

"I will keep you posted."

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Curcuma (since safran is very expensive)
Fresh cilantro
Mascarpone cheese or a substitute like cream cheese (ok from time to time because I love preparing Tiramisu for my friends when I am in town)

Last time, I went to all the stores in Sosua and Cabarete to find some safran or curcuma and the only place where I've found something similar (industrial one) was in a restaurant in Santiago and the owner did not want to get paid. If he reads this, thanks!

fresh cilantro and mascarpone is plenty available at playero... all the time

curcuma as well, unfotunately the safran is another matter...

i want to prepare this paella but need saffran... lol

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I think there would be people who want natural peanut butter. That, is, without added hydrogenated oil and salt.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Playero already carries curcuma in the Asian food section aka turmeric

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'd like to add my request: cottage cheese, cottage cheese with pineapple. Love them both and Playero hasn't had these to my knowledge for over a year; and when they do they're off the shelf the same day.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'd suggest not relying on the Valconi's to continue to check this thread.

However, I received this message from them tonight:

"we are waiting for a small box (closed) so customers can deposit the papers with the desires items and only can be seen by Management."

This box should be in place soon and will be the best way to suggest items to be ordered.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I'd suggest not relying on the Valconi's to continue to check this thread.

Afterall, why would they want to encourage the free advertising and PR extended their business via this thread. That would be unDominican.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Afterall, why would they want to encourage the free advertising and PR extended their business via this thread. That would be unDominican.

They are very interested and they have asked me to act as their representative with respect to dr1 since I am on the board every day, several times a day. You will see more posts re changes/improvements at Playero in the future that I will be passing on from the Valconia and I will be relaying things from dr1 to them.

However, the best way to make requests for products you would like to see on the shelves will be the box in the store that they are going to provide for this purpose.