A New Playero!?!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'd suggest not relying on the Valconi's to continue to check this thread.

However, I received this message from them tonight:

"we are waiting for a small box (closed) so customers can deposit the papers with the desires items and only can be seen by Management."

This box should be in place soon and will be the best way to suggest items to be ordered.

@jrhartley

Here is the prior thread about the box

Aug 21, 2007
You give them to the person who oversees the cashiers. They are not difficult people. If you live here and shop there, they know you, will give you a slip, and when you bring it back, the cashiers call over the person who okays credit card charges and you are all set.

It's simple and can only produce results that benefit us, as long as we don't begin criticizing their efforts.

In other words.....don't bite the hand that helps us feed us!

Lindsey

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I think there needs to be a survey and comintment on who will buy what they want and how often and then the Playero can act accordingly.

I would buy 3 yellow lemons per week on an annual basis.
I would buy 1 jar of fresh horesradish per year.
I would buy 1 Package of U.S. American Kosher hot dogs like Nathans or Sabarett 2 or 3 times per year.
I would buy 1 U.S. Prime rib roast once per month.
I would buy 1 lb of U.S Veal Scallopini
I would buy 1 Hormel corned Beef (avg 3 lbs ) 2 times per year.
I would buy 1 package of Thomas's English Muffins 2 times per year.

I don't mind paying a premium for any of these products and I suggest the owners / co op/ DR1 members unite and do a group order.

Last edited:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I'd like to add my request: cottage cheese, cottage cheese with pineapple. Love them both and Playero hasn't had these to my knowledge for over a year; and when they do they're off the shelf the same day.

I will second, third and fourth that! Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein so anyone on a diet or working out (can you say Kite Surfer?) will love it. I'm neither, but I still love it! I have to drive to National in Santo Domingo every week to get it so if I can get it in Playero I'll save about $100 in gasoline!

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
IMHO, I believe City Market was seriously kicking Playero in the butt. The lady who owns City Market is one of the most wonderful people on the planet, and a superb chef/restauranteur, so she really stepped up the game for groceries in Sosua. Now Playero has stepped up their game to retain clients and get new ones.

Can you say 'capitalism'?

Thank everyone for stepping up the game in Sosua and Cabarete (you see Janet's lately)! Us, the customers, are the ones who benefit. Love it!!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
IMHO, I believe City Market was seriously kicking Playero in the butt. The lady who owns City Market is one of the most wonderful people on the planet, and a superb chef/restauranteur, so she really stepped up the game for groceries in Sosua. Now Playero has stepped up their game to retain clients and get new ones.

Can you say 'capitalism'?

Thank everyone for stepping up the game in Sosua and Cabarete (you see Janet's lately)! Us, the customers, are the ones who benefit. Love it!!

I would say opportunisme since City Market has been loosing a lot of his feathers the last months. Nothing coming in, shelfs half empty, quality is going down very rapid, what's going on there? (maybe another topic for this). City Market was never my favorite, I go to Janets and Playero but it was a nice refreshing to be able to get seperate tomato's and other fresh greens in City Market instead of the obligatory prepacked six or eight at the other stores.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Well, i much prefer CM...much less frantic than Playero, good veg selection without having to buy prepacked and then finding that several of the items have bad spots that they have hidden by turning the item upsidedown (yes Playero, quite common and it has stopped me buying fruit and veg in your store), the staff are very friendly and last but certainly not least, i dont have to check my bloody bag in at the desk when i come in!!

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I think there would be people who want natural peanut butter. That, is, without added hydrogenated oil and salt.

They already have natural peanut butter R.
It probably has added salt but that's it, no palm oil, no sugar and none of the other unnecessary crap that they love to put in 'mainstream' PB :)

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Just came back from Playero, dropped $6k in groceries, no survey slip!!!! Are they being selective as to who they give the slips out to!!! I'm not Dominican, my wife is. I told my wife at checkout, "let's see if they offer us one of those survey slips." Not a chance. I do groceries there all the time and the head cashiers know me very well but I didn't mention anything to them, I wanted to post it here instead. ALL CUSTOMERS who drop money there on groceries should be able to participate in that survey so Ken, please tell your buddies at Playero to instruct their cashiers to hand them out to EVERYONE who shops there!!!

Thank you.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
Yeah, I shop in Playero all of the time as well and have never rec'd a survey slip. In fact, I buy so many groceries that Playero issued be a little discount card I scan for every purchase to get 'points' I can rebate for groceries. The point is, they definitely know who I am but apparently wouldn't want me to add to the survey (that, I can understand as I'm kinda picky).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
They already have natural peanut butter R.
It probably has added salt but that's it, no palm oil, no sugar and none of the other unnecessary crap that they love to put in 'mainstream' PB :)

there is a little do it yourself PB, all you need is peanuts and a pinch of salt:
take good few cups of peeled peanuts, place in a food blender. turn it on. you will need about 15 minutes. no need to add sugar or oil, nuts themselves are oily enough and sweet enough. you may add a pinch of salt to your liking.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Far too much is being read into the fact many are not being given a slip to request items. I am not given slips, either. The cashiers get busy and things get forgotten. Same as true when there is a raffle. Frequently I must ask for my raffle tickets so that I can fill them out at put them in the barrel.

It has already been reported that Playero will be installing a box where you can deposit your requests with the assurance the requests will be seen by management. The box will be in place soon. I'll ask the Valconis to let me know as soon as it is up so that I can report the location to you.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Sorry Vinyasa but they have not had natural peanut butter of any brand since sometimes early August. I live in POP and go to Playero once every few weeks for a few items, peanut butter being one of the items. The peanut butter they had early Aug. was Smuckers. That was the first time Playero had that name brand in my 8 years of living here. No natural peanut butter of any brand since!

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Far too much is being read into the fact many are not being given a slip to request items. I am not given slips, either. The cashiers get busy and things get forgotten. Same as true when there is a raffle. Frequently I must ask for my raffle tickets so that I can fill them out at put them in the barrel.

It has already been reported that Playero will be installing a box where you can deposit your requests with the assurance the requests will be seen by management. The box will be in place soon. I'll ask the Valconis to let me know as soon as it is up so that I can report the location to you.

Sorry, no excuse!! I was there at 8:30 this morning and there was no one at the registers when I checked out, they were NOT BUSY, just too lazy to do things they're supposed to do!

I guess I'll generate my own printed list here at home and submit it whenever the box is put into place. :laugh:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Sorry, no excuse!! I was there at 8:30 this morning and there was no one at the registers when I checked out, they were NOT BUSY, just too lazy to do things they're supposed to do!

I guess I'll generate my own printed list here at home and submit it whenever the box is put into place. :laugh:

Yes, the wise thing to do is prepare your own list and put it in the box.

What is a high priority with the owners/managers is not always seen as a high priority by the employees. Playero is certainly not unusual in that regard and neither is the Dominican Republic.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I went to the bread section this afternoon to get a loaf of bread and was pleasantly surprised to see how many new whole wheat products are now on the shelf. There were new breads and buns, several interesting looking brands of each, that I had not seen before.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I went to the bread section this afternoon to get a loaf of bread and was pleasantly surprised to see how many new whole wheat products are now on the shelf. There were new breads and buns, several interesting looking brands of each, that I had not seen before.
Ken, the Billy Mays of Dominican Pitchmen
Billy-Mays.jpg

"If you like the bread, but should slip on a banana, have I got a law firm for you."