Old Dominican Republic

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Speaking of old cities... one reason I like Santiago so much is it is similar to the old Charleston my father grew up in with narrow streets, grocery stores on every corner and kids playing everywhere.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Quick question,

I have a folder on my Facebook page of old photos of Santo Domingo, Bonao, La Vega, the South Coast, Sosua, and some other places in the DR from the early 60's. Is there a way that i can put a direct link to just these photos here?

Some of these photos are unbelievable becuase of their age.

Frank

Yes sir!

PM me your fb password, lol

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Pichardo, can you help me and my cousins try and figure out where some of these pictures are from on the island. We tried to figure some of them out, but sadly, our father's and uncles have passed away and we don't recognize anything.

Old Dominican Photos pictures by ktmfrank - Photobucket

This one is Macao Beach in Punta Cana - was that an old house or restaurant on stilts?
35kqupy.jpg

Macao beach now
24etjia.jpg

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
YB1,

THanks a million for this answer!! Me and my cousins have been wondering where and the hell some of these pictures were taken. I really appreciate this answer for this particular picture!

Thanks, Frank

This one is Macao Beach in Punta Cana - was that an old house or restaurant on stilts?
35kqupy.jpg

Macao beach now
24etjia.jpg

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
my comment was not to dilute his wonderful work. it was just a reference.

His wonderful work should have contained a link to the original website or given reference to it. Cutting and pasting pictures without crediting the source does not make them "his" work.

The common theme I see in his photo montages is a lack of acknowledgement of intellectual property. Doesn't detract from the pictures, just speaks to the integrity of the poster.

I know this has come up before. Robert thinks its ok as others do it. I disagree. It bothers me as much as it bothers some when posters refer to "The DOMINICAN". It's an educator's curse, perhaps. Just because others do it doesn't make it right.

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
Pichardo, Un millon de gracias!!! Love the old pics you posted. You know, after seeing those pictures and comparing it with the modern looks that most of these places have gets me a lil depressed. A great feeling of nostalgia overwhelms me seeing the houses mixed with the mountainous backgrounds, and then the wide large family cars that used to roam the streets..... Ok, no more Emo mode!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo, Un millon de gracias!!! Love the old pics you posted. You know, after seeing those pictures and comparing it with the modern looks that most of these places have gets me a lil depressed. A great feeling of nostalgia overwhelms me seeing the houses mixed with the mountainous backgrounds, and then the wide large family cars that used to roam the streets..... Ok, no more Emo mode!

Anytime!

Me too! I have the same feelings!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Waoo Trujillo and Balaguer did a good job, they transformed that onto a modern city...

What it is today!

JJ

Jan 3, 2003
Waoo Trujillo and Balaguer did a good job, they transformed that onto a modern city...

What it is today!

JJ

I am not interested in transformations into modern cities. I am interested in the aesthetic appeal of pre-Trujillo DR. As stated previously, I would love to have lived in that time period. There is a certain sense of an otherworldly spiritual feeling that those time invoke in me. It's as if the mystery of those times and the difficulty of getting from one place to the next created a sense of permanence in the region within which you were raised. The concept of being a Cibaeno for example brought greater import when you were tied to your region by reasons of mobility being constrained.

Today's DR, one can flash from one region to the next within hours thus breaking down that sense of regionalism which invokes feelings of permanence and history. Today's DR with its rapid movements of people from one area to the next is destroying those folkloric emanations of solitude and of separation. Today's DR will produce just one DR within which all barriers of difference will produce one continuum of muddled along "sameness-es" to put it in a clumsy way.

As an example the inhabitants of Constanza pre-Trujillo era would take near 2 weeks to get to La Vega. Those weary travelers upon arriving at La Vega were a welcome sight to the Veganos for they rarely saw one another. That reality of separation and solitude created greater than life characters for the few who traveled around. Their importance was of an exponential value. My grandparents tell of a time when travelers upon arriving at a different town were welcomed into people's homes to stay a night or two even if they were complete strangers.

With the voluminous amount of travelers criss-crossing every vector within the DR any of that folkloric transmissions are completely lost. It gets to the point that a traveler is just another one of countless thousands going hither and thither with themselves the locals having little meaning besides being street vendors and viewing the tourists as being just one more tourist or one more traveler. The meaning and significance is lost.

That's what I see when I view the Old DR. It's folklore is forever lost and what replaces it is just one more metropolis paved in concrete and repeated the same the world over. The Old DR I feel was unique in this sense of solitude where one could see the difference between one region and the next and one city and the next. There were boundaries separating cities and towns. That too is slowly being lost. In time, whatever little is left of the Old DR will only remain in these pictures.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
Here are some old pictures of Santiago de los Caballeros, which was the most economically important, and populated city of the eastern part of the Hispaniola, until Trujillo took power, and concentrated all the power in Santo Domingo, thus sending Santiago into a second place.

Sorry if these have been posted before.
Posiblemente la fotograf?a mas antigua de la ciudad de Santiago (1860) antes del gran incendio de 1863

Primera%2Bfoto%2Bde%2BSantiago.jpg

Las tres cruses, principios de los 60s.

Las+Tres+Cruces,+Stgo..jpg

Finales de los 60.
SantiagoNoche1980s.jpg

Avenida Circunvalacion Recien Inaugurada a mediados de los 70s.
este es el tramo del puente Hermanos Pati?os y La Avenida Valerio.
Fotos de JULIO GONZALEZ (del Libro El Santiago de Los 70s)
001.jpg

Lado del Rio Yaque y donde estaba el viejo puente Duarte, al fondo se ve el monumento.
002.jpg

Monumento a la Paz de Trujillo (hoy H?roes de la Restauraci?n de la Rep?blica) en 1959:

3dd8b2dc0c34c5cd_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/3dd8b2dc0c34c5cd_large

6beb275ab8da107b_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/6beb275ab8da107b_large

Otra mas de la calle 30 de Marzo.
Este es frente al parque Duarte entre la Calle 16 de Agosto y Calle El Sol (1971)
FOTO DE JULIO GONZALEZ (Del libro El Santiago de los 70s)
Calle30deMarzo1971d.jpg

Creo que el Cafe Antillas todavia existe. Alguien que me lo confirme. Por cierto el sentido vial de sur al norte en ese tiempo. Fijense el ambiente que hay en esa calle. Por ahi se ve la entrada (o donde termina) de la calle General Cabrera. El tramo desde esa esquina hasta la calle Espa?a es peatonal en la actualidad.

Panoramica de Santiago de Los Caballeros, 1950.

SAM_0241.JPG

Aspecto de un parque de Santiago, 1950.

SAM_0242.JPG

Aspecto de un parque de Santiago, 1950.

SAM_0242.JPG

Calle 30 de Marzo, 1950
SAM_0246.JPG

Edificio Comercial de Santiago, 1951

SAM_0243.JPG

Vistas desde el Monumento a principio de los 70s.
Fotos de Julio Amable Gonz?lez para el libro gr?fico llamado EL SANTIAGO DE LOS 70 en SANTIAGO de los Caballeros,Republica Dominicana para los a?os 70.

Lado de la calle del sol.
P3180090.jpg

Lado de la Avenida Las Carreras esquina Rep de Argentina.

P3180083.jpg

La ciudad por el lado de la Calle del Sol.
P3180096.jpg

Mas fotos y informacion en esta pagina Santiago de Los Caballeros Santiago de los Caballeros

La ciudad vista desde el monumento
P3180092.jpg

La ciudad vista por Las Carreras
P3180085.jpg

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
More pictures of La Hidalga Ciudad de Santiago de los Caballeros.

Iglesia de nuestra se?ora de la Altagracia, acaso luego de una misa 21 de enero. Erigida sede parroquial en 1874, fue eje vital de Pueblo Arriba, junto al Parque Col?n, uno de cuyos ?ngulos se observa en primer plano a la derecha.

Iglesia.jpg

iglesia2.jpg

La calle Del Sol en Pueblo Arriba, al fondo se distinguen el campanario de la Iglesia del Carmen y el palacio de la Gobernaci?n. Colecci?n personal Julia Amelia Cabral Tavarez de Thom?n. La foto no tiene fecha, pero por la vestimenta data de finales de los mil ochosientos y esta hubicada frente a lo que hoy es el Parque Col?n y al Pez Dorado.

Calle+del+sol.jpg

Santiago a?os 60s

Santiago60s.jpg

Aserradero La Fe a orillas del Yaque y lo que es hoy la Circunvalaci?n, n?tese el rio yaque a la derecha con su acerradero. Del lado izquierdo n?tese los terrenos elevados de la Fortaleza San Lu?s.

4441709602_d6d7ba8aaa_o%2Bcopy.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-
OB8ozk1mMog/Tsqn5TncnAI/AAAAAAAABFg/Rl5iy8j1pnA/s1600/A.jpg

Santiago%252Bhacen%252Bmas%252Bde%252Bun%252Bsiglo%2Bcopy.jpg

Carretera Duarte, Santo Domingo - Santiago 1917-1922

1922+Inauguraci%C3%B3n+de+la+Carretera+Duarte+en+La+Cumbre,+kil%C3%B3metro+66..jpg

5010_1117942241704_1621452618_284277_2761700_n.jpg

Farmacia Normal

normal_cent.jpg

Puente Yaque

1932.PNG

Varias del monumento.

2.PNG

4.PNG

1.PNG

Soldados Norteamericanos del cuerpo de paz, frente al Monumento de Santiago

monu.PNG

Concluida la misa en la Iglesia de La Altagracia, marcharon al cementerio a llevar una ofrenda floral a la tumba de Fern?ndez Dom?nguez. N?tese H?ctor Aristy y Cama?o, saliendo de la iglesia de la Altagracia de Santiago.

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+089.jpg

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+185.jpg

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+193.jpg

sol.PNG

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+182.jpg

Pueblo.PNG

Bajando la Calle del Sol, Santiago

reperpero.PNG

2+sol.PNG

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+215.jpg

calle.PNG

FOTOS DEL ASALTO Y LLEGADA CUERPO DE PAZ

suelo.PNG

Gringos.PNG

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+192.jpg

Detras.PNG

Garage.PNG

Turbados.PNG

Militares-y-Civiles.jpg

hotel-matun-111.jpg

Lora Fernandez yace Muerto Por torpedo

Muerto.PNG

Comandante Montes Arache, sobreviviente de la Batalla

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+088.jpg

Bar Hotel Mat?n

Restos.PNG

Fotos+historicas+de+SAntiago+corregidas+014.jpg

JOVENES REVOLUCIONARIOS E INSIGNIAS

revolucionarios.PNG

Go.PNG

frente.PNG

One of my favorite ones. Nico Lora y su Banda de Perico Ripiao, Jacuagua, Santiago, 1948.

JacaguaSantiago1948.jpg