Chef Pepper - can we have a civil discourse?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Mostly a rip - off merchant offering junk food at rip - off prices.

Bottle of wine goes for 135 pesos retail 200 % mark up plus great! Plus burning all that gas to deliver!

My opinion only!

Homemade wine is great in DR - huge variety of fruits!

pi2

You must be a bundle of fun to be around.

Moving on...

Eaten at Chef Pepper 10+ times, never had a bad meal, one of the better value for money places to eat in Santo Domingo.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
well known rule for any good cook..... NEVER cook with any wine you wouldn't drink from a glass!!!

QUOTE::::
Wine at 135 pesos(bottle) !!!!!!!!!!!! yeark, I wouldn't even use it for cooking

Last edited:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
There are reasonable table wines, not for special occasions, at that price level or slighly above. If you like one buy a case. People do buy wines for 100 dollars a bottle - the market is there.

Freshly made fruit juice is good and so are homemade fruit beers and wines. Costs can be 50 - 60 pesos a gallon.

There is also a market for fine rums and whiskey. However many people settle for the normal Brugals and blended Whiskeys. Not of course deserving a place in Capt s antique Whiskey cabinet.

And of course his 'cave ? vin' with his sommelier certifcate in a frame alongside......

pi2

well known rule for any good cook..... NEVER cook with any wine you wouldn't drink from a glass!!!

QUOTE::::
Wine at 135 pesos(bottle) !!!!!!!!!!!! yeark, I wouldn't even use it for cooking

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
There are reasonable table wines, not for special occasions, at that price level or slighly above. If you like one buy a case. People do buy wines for 100 dollars a bottle - the market is there.

Freshly made fruit juice is good and so are homemade fruit beers and wines. Costs can be 50 - 60 pesos a gallon.

There is also a market for fine rums and whiskey. However many people settle for the normal Brugals and blended Whiskeys. Not of course deserving a place in Capt s antique Whiskey cabinet.

And of course his 'cave ? vin' with his sommelier certifcate in a frame alongside......

pi2

A bottle of wine at 135 pesos is not a reasonable wine, it's a PIQUETTE

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Is that French for paintstripper? ;)

There is a great Eupopean wine lake and not all is poor quality.

I suggest you get three bottles, various, at a about 125 -150 and one bottle at 400 and try a blind tasting. Of course with stronger tasting food a robust wine is often preferable.

But of course home made ginger and lemon ale or wine is also good.

Ginger and limes are both grown locally and this helps save the planet by not shipping bottles of wine from distant places. You know the ingredients are pure!

I use wine yeast but the principle is the same.

Lemon and Ginger Wine ? The Living Edge

pi2

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
There is a great Eupopean wine lake and not all is poor quality.

I suggest you get three bottles, various, at a about 125 -150 and one bottle at 400 and try a blind tasting. Of course with stronger tasting food a robust wine is often preferable.

But of course home made ginger and lemon ale or wine is also good.

Ginger and limes are both grown locally and this helps save the planet by not shipping bottles of wine from distant places. You know the ingredients are pure!

I use wine yeast but the principle is the same.

Lemon and Ginger Wine ? The Living Edge

pi2

Don't try to educate me on wine. I know more than you about the subject. Am talking about good wine of course not PIQUETTE.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
you cannot put value on a wine by price...

I have bought excellent petit chablis at 150rds a bottle (in Belgium of course) which was equal or better than several chablis grand cru which were 3,000rds a bottle.

I have bought pedernales wine from spain, directly from the producer at 300rds a gallon, whilst he showed me the bottles he sold in wine-stores, containing exactly the same wine, for 1,500rds a bottle.

Same goes for brandy.

A lot of people mistakenly look at the name or chateau when tasting wine, or even worse, look at the price. What really matters is the taste.

I have drank table wines from France which were equal to some of the great chateaus. The difference is that with a table wine you take a chance, and with the chateau you have "some" guarantee of quality.

Oh god, how I do miss a good chablis, or a good pouilly fumee here.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
There is a Chef Pepper on Sarasota in Bella Vista and one on Gustavo Mejia Ricart in Naco. Both in Santo Domingo. I think they are both great. I am pleased to hear that they have opened one in Punta Cana. Are there any more than those 3 ? And does anyone know if it is Dominican or foreign owned ? They are doing a good job.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
The word "plonk" is actually Australian slang (said to derive from "blanc") and is very common in GB.

Don't get ripped of folks - I used to visit wine stores in Calais, France. There is reasonable value. Pound prices muliply by 1.6 to get dollar and 38 to get pesos total 60.8.
Example is Calais Wine Superstore - Amazing savings on Wines, Beers & Spirits
The wines at 100 pesos equivalent there are totally acceptable and purchase by many friends who have had a lifetime of experience of wines.
Remember the health benefits of even the simplest reds.
The French who live on a Mediteranean diet including wine live long lives.
When I was visiting France and eating at University restaurants the price of wine would have made you laugh.

pi2

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
What does this have to do with Chef Pepper??!?! You're so off track that you're in France!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He's just arguing for the sake of arguing - he means the rustic but perfectly acceptable wines one can get for a couple of euros in countries like Spain, Italy and France. Not the wines sold for that price here. The least expensive wines that fall under most people's definition of "rustic but decent" commonly sold in the DR are in the RD$300 and above bracket. For 100 pesos in the DR you get Caballo blanco, Gitano...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Can't help myself, have a slight "deja-vu" feeling here, dunno why though....

It's not just the substance, either. The style is JUST as familiar. Anyone who has an ear for a writer's "voice", will recognize the unmistakable resemblance.