Big D's Place (BBQ) - Sosua Beach 109B

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
the food looks delicious, but llooking at the pictures, and readin the description does not really go well together,

i thought they may of had a huge bbq on the beach, and more bbq style food to offer.

looks good though none the less.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Not bad BBQ but a little expensive. Lots of happy campers chewing on ribs and chicken though.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Not bad BBQ but a little expensive. Lots of happy campers chewing on ribs and chicken though.

You get what you pay for. Derrick has the best BBQ in town, hands down (and I was a HUGE fan of Rocky's Ribs (during the Marco regime, anyhoo).

Brothalove

Jan 15, 2010
Derrick's (Big D) BBQ is worth the PESOS.... The Ribs, Chicken, Salads, Etc are DELICIOUS. Also, the environment is so relaxing and Derrick is the former Chef of several Celebs!!!

Mar 2, 2008
I have met and talked with Derrick. He is a very interesting guy and he certainly knows how to cook ribs. They are on the expensive side, but they are well worth the price (750 pesos for a rack).

Being on the beach gives Big D's a great venue to partake of these "finger-lickin' good" ribs and chicken. It seems to be the perfect mix, and you can always dive into the ocean to clean up after diving into the ribs.:)

By the way, Rocky's ribs are the same now as they were before. The recipe and preparation is the same. I had them when Marco was the owner and recently under Rick's ownership. Exactly the same as before, and very good.

Big D's and Rocky's ribs are prepared differently, and each one has its own unique qualities, and obviously, each establishment has its own individual atmosphere. I like them both for different reasons, but a common trait is that their ribs both taste great.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
750 pesos ? how much without the bone ? now that really is expensive

jr:

A rack is 12 ribs for that price and is lunch for at least two of you, so order 6.

Unless you have tried them, why not stay off this thread, Big D could pick you up by the scruff of your neck with one hand if he wanted to! He is a gentle giant and prolly the nicest guy you'll meet on the beach, and he gives FREE samples.

These are hands down, the best ribs in Sosua.

t'

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ah - i thought a rack was...well never mind what i thought it was, so we are talking a full rib cage almost

Mar 2, 2008
Big D is indeed BIG!!! He is also very easy going, and he has a very pleasant personality, just an all-round nice guy. However, I wouldn't want to rub him the wrong way, so to speak.:)

Brothalove

Jan 15, 2010
Big D is a gentle giant and a great human being.... Those RIBS/CHICKEN are mouth watering. 3 More Months b'fo I can sink my teeth in some mo'.

May 29, 2006
By the way, Rocky's ribs are the same now as they were before. The recipe and preparation is the same. I had them when Marco was the owner and recently under Rick's ownership. Exactly the same as before, and very good.

Is Marco still involved with Rocky's? He is still on the website. Surprized it didn't make it on the forums if he sold out completely. Did Marco sell the bar/restaurant but not the hotel?

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Is Marco still involved with Rocky's? He is still on the website. Surprized it didn't make it on the forums if he sold out completely. Did Marco sell the bar/restaurant but not the hotel?

You could email Marco and ask him directly instead of being a chismoso and hiijacking a thread about "Big D's"??

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I met big D before he opened his place on the beach, and he is truely a nice guy, not just a act for business. Yea, his food is a little pricey for a beach place, but the ribs and chicken are always fresh, and the place is always clean, and we all know how important that is in the DR..I dont mind paying for good food, and always satisfied with Big D's food..Very good ribs..

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I met Big D when i was down in Sosua back in September and every trip since then I've made it a point to stop by his place on the beach to grab a plate and chit chat. He is by far one of the nicest persons I have met in a long time. I highly recommend anyone visiting Sosua to stop by his place on the beach and say hi.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only two places I eat on the beach are Tom's Scandinavian Bar and Ribs at Big D's.

Both guys are cool and have a loyal following.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I recently tried "Black Box" near the end closer to Charamicos... good prices and good food...and free beach chairs. Also the British Bulldog has pretty good fish and chips...not as good as Britannia, but a much better view!

Reactions: Tamborista

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
Derrick is ONLY closed on mondays. he is open tuesday through sunday now.

in addition, he is now setting up shop across from classico/merengue bar at the winners circle bar in the back corner.

he just starting selling there this past week. you can catch him there from around 8pm or so, until whenever.

yes, he's got the best ribs on the beach.

i would not compare them with rockies. they are a different product.

kind of like comparing a bbq chicken and friend chicken.

i dont think his prices are high at all, when you consider the portion size, the extras involved, and the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.