Police harrasing tourists for money ?

Naked_truth777

May 11, 2006
I have heard from one person that he was harassed by Dr police and even threatened with a gun if he did not pay certain amount of money as bribe .

Is that customary in Dr for police to illegally hussle American and other tourists for money on daily basis ?

Can anyone give any suggestions on how to deal with them .

Reactions: mike l

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The Police don't need a gun. Probably a scam. The Police can just take you to jail if you really did somthing wrong.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Crooked cops can smell weakness like a bloodhound.

NEVER give in. Never.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Dominican cops usually just take advantage of situations where the law is broken. If you dont break the law in any way, it is rare for them to mess with you. If they get to the point where they pull a weapon, you have definitely broken some kind of law.

If you do break the law, the quicker you take out the wallet and pay, the quicker you get on your way...

Naked_truth777

May 11, 2006
Thx for reply

What laws to watch for while in Dominican ?

I have heard they even hussle people at airport for money . I know I was hussled while in a different third world country . I know it could happen while breaking no laws at all .

another thing do they provide translators becasue do not speak their language much

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
They tried to shake down the missus again 2 days ago. This time she resisted.
They gave her a hard time until they realised that all the paperwork was indeed in order and that were getting nothing.

Most tourists would pay as people find it intimidating having a policeman in a foreign country shouting at them.

Good on her!

Bollocks to the coppers!

The police rarely draw their weapons though - sounds a bit odd this one...

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Who is Who?

_ If they get to the point where they pull a weapon, you have definitely broken some kind of law.

Not necessarily.
Read the papers and you will learn that nowadays the criminals wear uniforms as well. :tired:

donP

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
A GOOD way to avoid the cop's "shake down" is to pretend to know ZERO Spanish..... not even the word "Si".

They eventually get annoyed and frusrtated and let you go on your way.

The BEST way to avoid cops is to not break the law.

Reactions: cobraboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A GOOD way to avoid the cop's "shake down" is to pretend to know ZERO Spanish..... not even the word "Si".

They eventually get annoyed and frusrtated and let you go on your way.

The BEST way to avoid cops is to not break the law.
:rambo::D

Yup. It works...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Whether you are shaken down by a Cop or not has less to do with your behaviour than his level of greed and corruption. It happens in the Dominican Republic. It also happens in NY, Paris and Munich. I once had a border guard (French/Swiss) tear all through my rental car in an attempt to press for a bribe on a trip between Paris and Geneva. You stop to ask a Cop for directions in Mexico City and he'll hold out his hand and say "refresca", guarranteed. This type of behavior is not limited to the DR or typical of LE there in general and I wouldn't worry about it. Just go and enjoy.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
I wish I could bribe some cops here in Canada that pull me over for speeding but I would be thrown in jail! :~)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
They tried to shake down the missus again 2 days ago. This time she resisted.

Well done Mrs Chemical. I sense a new emerging group - the non-Stepford DR1 Wives :cheeky:. First MrsMike with her rocks against the water board and now Mrs Chemical. Power to the sisters! :)

I don't actually get any harassment because the local guys know my vehicle, but if it's one of those very rare occasions when a new lad is on duty I find the supercilious look works wonders with removing any thoughts of a shakedown in advance of those popping into people's minds. There is a flagrant class system here; sometimes it is advantageous to use it ;).

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Cops in DR will shake you down for money. Just make sure you are wearing your seat belt and don't run red lights; even if the locals are running red lights.