Police harrasing tourists for money ?

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
What about the military???

The police are pikers compared to the Dominican Military. I've been driving around the DR for about 15 years now and have been "detained" by military patrols with quazi roadblocks much more than I have been pulled over by police or AMET. Usually 10 to 12 uniformed guys obstensibly looking for unregistered guns and proper vehicle registration papers. They let you sit on the side of the road until they decide to let you go or until they receive a propina, whichever happens first. The young soldiers are always trying to impress the "Jefe" with their ability to extract dinero from the hapless motorists. Little chance of being taken into custody but you could sit up to a half an hour if you don't grease any palms.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The police are pikers compared to the Dominican Military. I've been driving around the DR for about 15 years now and have been "detained" by military patrols with quazi roadblocks much more than I have been pulled over by police or AMET. Usually 10 to 12 uniformed guys obstensibly looking for unregistered guns and proper vehicle registration papers. They let you sit on the side of the road until they decide to let you go or until they receive a propina, whichever happens first. The young soldiers are always trying to impress the "Jefe" with their ability to extract dinero from the hapless motorists. Little chance of being taken into custody but you could sit up to a half an hour if you don't grease any palms.

Now after 15 or so years here, have never had this one happen. Where do you live. I am in the Capital and have traveled all over the island. Only time stopped by the military, was in the boarder area, and that was a Haitian check. :ermm: Not saying it don't happen, just has never happened to me or anyone I know. :surprised

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Remarks like Naked's always remind me of the "Choirboys" when some idiot went into all sortssof "Karate" stances, screaming unintelligible words and Spermwhale Whalen (LAPD Cop) looked at him, took his flashlight, yelled "Eveready and cracked his head
avi.gif

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Pulling a gun on anyone and demanding payment is extortion and armed robbery. It happens, you hear about it, and sometimes you hear about things much worse. Typical of most poor countries in the region, most have come to expect these things.

S

SamTHorn

I have never heard of this in the news about DR, but since it happens everywhere else I guess it's not too far fetched to be there. Thanks for the tip.

~ Sam

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
You are either extremely lucky or you drive a broken down Datsun and look extremely broke at all times.

Are you talking about being stopped by the police, or the Military? I have been stopped by Amet, an the PN. Never by the Military, except for the once.

No drove a Buick Regal, Ford Ranger, and a Toyota Tercel. No Hummers and SUV's

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Are you talking about being stopped by the police, or the Military? I have been stopped by Amet, an the PN. Never by the Military, except for the once.

No drove a Buick Regal, Ford Ranger, and a Toyota Tercel. No Hummers and SUV's

I understand now. But my comment mainly comes from the fact that I ALWAYS get stopped by the military, (whenever there is a checkpoint) while the concho looking cars all drive by obliviously.

Iceberg

Apr 5, 2010
This been going on for years. You get caught in the wrong better pay up rapido. Otherwise usually never am harrassed. Only times occured me where when was dead in the wrong. Or, in the jails money rule. Don't go to jail penniless in this Country or you are dead on arrival.

anthony

Mar 17, 2010
I remember once being pulled over due to my driver side headlight was out ( I know , go figure ) . The cop told me that if I didn't " pay the fine " at the scene , he would take my car in . I shut off the car , took the keys out and handed him the car keys . He got so upset with me knowing that I wasn't going to give him is dinner money that night , he jumped back into his police car and left me with the car keys still in my hand .