Is Sto Dgo one of the 10 most dagerous cities in the world? IDTS

Thinkus

Sep 8, 2011
The newspaper El siglo 21 reported yesterday that according to The State Department, the city of SD is among the 10 most dangerous cities in the world, and is warning it's citizens traveling to this city of the risk and danger. I know SD ain't Kansas anymore, but it's far from being among the 10 or 20 most dangerous cities in the world. I tried to find that information in the State Department website and couldn't find it, what I found was a list of countries that includes: Irak, Libia, Yemen, Somalia and the likes.

EEUU alerta de altos riesgos a turistas en RD

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The newspaper El siglo 21 reported yesterday that according to The State Department, the city of SD is among the 10 most dangerous cities in the world, and is warning it's citizens traveling to this city of the risk and danger. I know SD ain't Kansas anymore, but it's far from being among the 10 or 20 most dangerous cities in the world. I tried to find that information in the State Department website and couldn't find it, what I found was a list of countries that includes: Irak, Libia, Yemen, Somalia and the likes.

Not even close...I can find more than Ten cities in The US or Mexico alone that are more dangerous than Santo Domingo. That warning is just a standard US Department warning to tourists. You could find the same thing about visiting Canada for instance.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I saw that list, it was absurd. I could name them 20 worse cities off the top of my head. Only one Asian city (in Pakistan) and only one African (Mogadishu). Consider the source, though, it was published on one of those "OMG!!!! Top 10 headless babies with leprosy photos" trash websites.

Atlantic Golfer

Feb 24, 2011

That?s totally not true, and it all depends on which neighborhood you want to venture into and what you are looking for.

diable410

Sep 14, 2011
I had a conversation about a week ago with a guy in Santo Domingo who told me Santo Domingo is full of mafia and murderers. He said it as if it was a badge of honor. Meanwhile, I'm thinking to myself in the all the years I've been to Santo Domingo and experienced negatives and the positives, it does not come close to my experiences growing up in public housing in Baltimore City.

Some people and sources do it for shock and awe. Santo Domingo is a great safe city. I'm sure some of the barrios get pretty rough but it's nothing worst than what I've seen in many other places.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I had a conversation about a week ago with a guy in Santo Domingo who told me Santo Domingo is full of mafia

This has been in existence all over the world for years upon years. Right in your nose and you do not even notice it.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, The US national average per 100,000 has been consistently around 6. I asked a PN Colonel buddy last year and the DR as a country is 28-30.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
Not even close...I can find more than Ten cities in The US or Mexico alone that are more dangerous than Santo Domingo. That warning is just a standard US Department warning to tourists. You could find the same thing about visiting Canada for instance.

@ Juartzn.
Only in the month of April 2011 there were 131 deaths including 99 murders in the DR of that number 32 tourists. And for a population of 10 million.
I would like to know where in Canada there are 99 murders a month.
For your information in Quebec as of September 14, 2011 we are at 22 murders since the beginning of the year, for a population of 9,000,000.
While the DR has had 99 murders just for the month of April 2011.
Before talking nonsense informed.
Gilles Beaulieu.Montr?aL.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Been to Detroit lately?

My cousin was a policewoman in East Lansing, then Detroit from 1985-90. It's almost like a contest, with bragging right. My city is tougher and more dangerous than yours. The one that I've heard the most about is Baltimore. I've spent a bit of time in San Carlos section of Santo Domingo and it is considered dangerous. My wife's cousin has lived in the same building there for 25 years. When they tell me not to go in a certain area I listen. He's a taxidriver and I trust his judgement when it comes to the streets.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
@ Juartzn.
Only in the month of April 2011 there were 131 deaths including 99 murders in the DR of that number 32 tourists. And for a population of 10 million.
I would like to know where in Canada there are 99 murders a month.
For your information in Quebec as of September 14, 2011 we are at 22 murders since the beginning of the year, for a population of 9,000,000.
While the DR has had 99 murders just for the month of April 2011.
Before talking nonsense informed.
Gilles Beaulieu.Montr?aL.

32 tourists- I don't think so. Can you name what countries they were from.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Try East Gary Indiana. Or East St. Louis.

East St. Louis has one of the highest crime rates in the United States. According to FBI's data of 2007, its murder rate hit 101.9 per population of 100,000, surpassing that of cities such as Gary, Indiana (48.3 per pop. 100,000), New Orleans, Louisiana (37.6), Baltimore, Maryland (43.3), and Detroit, Michigan (47.3), as well as that of its neighbor St. Louis (37.2). FBI data shows East St. Louis' rate of rape exceeded 250 per population of 100,000.

East St. Louis, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compared to those Santo Domingo is a pussy cat.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
I forgot to tell you for your information.
Janvier2011 in the month of September 2011.
Dominicans 105 women have been killed by their spouses.
Quebec only two women have been killed by their spouses.
And you want to compare R.D. with Canada??

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I forgot to tell you for your information.
Janvier2011 in the month of September 2011.
Dominicans 105 women have been killed by their spouses.
Quebec only two women have been killed by their spouses.
And you want to compare R.D. with Canada??
We're still waiting for a reference for the 32 tourists.

vcjazi

Sep 14, 2011
oh plz, i was in DR this year for months, and i hung out in one of the most dangerous places in DR...and nothing ever happened..my advice is, at night take a cab, dont take public transportation..or walk around the bad areas..and usually when you with someone who is from that bad area, chances are nothing is going to happen because people know him/or her..