Is Sto Dgo one of the 10 most dagerous cities in the world? IDTS

boricuaonline

Jun 1, 2003
32 tourists- I don't think so. Can you name what countries they were from.

I doubt the amount of 32 tourists is a fact, maybe for up to a date in a year, and the amount including not only tourists but also residents of foreign origin. Statistics, we should analize them very carefully when we compare one city/country from another since statistical data comes from different sources. I have observed that in most cases foreign or tourists that have been victims of crime in Santo Domingo (including some people I know) are partly to blame for the crime event because of wearing expensive jewelry and leaving valuables unattended. It is of common sense to be in low profile every place you travel. Next October 14 it is going to be my 22th travel to SDQ and I am going to bring my 300 dominican peso Nokia phone to use in the city, cheap and functional and nobody wants it, lol.

The US Department of State brings information about facts of every country that are far away from the experience of most people. Things happen, is it a fact, but once you read their travel warnings you are under the impression that bad things are going to happen every time you travel. They tend to exagerate a little.

It is inportant to be an informed traveler, know the place you visit very well before your travel, follow the advise of others to reduce your risks and always have an enjoyable trip, as I always have.

boricuaonline

Jun 1, 2003
How's this for common sense?

Baltimore = 2.7 million in metro area = 223 homicides (2010)
Sto Dgo = 3.5 million in metro area = 2352 homicides (2009)

Run the per capita on that for me would ya?

Statistics numbers are from the entire country not from Santo Domingo only. These are official numbers. As a statistical/accounting/financial analist I have analized crime and other data from different countries. A fact about DR numbers is that a relative high percent of fire arm deaths were caused by unprofessional national police. Another dact is that official data is underestimated, real death toll can be as high as 30% more of official statistical data. Most of the unreported murder come from governmental statical manipulation, for example, by classifying a person killed inside a car as a victim of a car accident instead of a murder. This kind of statical manipulation also occurs in every country. Another amount of unreported murder victims comes from victims of rural isolated areas were crime events tends to be unreported.

You can have the same per capita murder in different cities but one place can be safer than another, depending of who is the victim on every place. Based on my observations Santo Domingo is safer than 75% of mayor latin cities, maybe more. The major concern you should have as a SDQ tourist is about petty crime. You should even be careful of what you bring in your checked luggage bacause Santo Domingo has a bad reputation about stolen luggage items and items stolen inside hotel rooms.

shodgson

Nov 11, 2010
Not even close...I can find more than Ten cities in The US or Mexico alone that are more dangerous than Santo Domingo. That warning is just a standard US Department warning to tourists. You could find the same thing about visiting Canada for instance.

No way are there ten cities in Canada that are more dangerous than SD... not even close. Especially if you include things like driving, crumbling buildings, rats attacking you from the garbage piles.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
No way are there ten cities in Canada that are more dangerous than SD... not even close. Especially if you include things like driving, crumbling buildings, rats attacking you from the garbage piles.

Some with 4 legs, others with 2 legs.

olmectech

Jul 9, 2010
It all depends what part of Santo Domingo you live in. My house is on the other side of the bridge near the Mega Central mall. Very few Gringos on that side. Petty crime is very high in that part of the city. Drugs and
poverty are just the worse combination. Better to pay attention than be a victim.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Canada is very safe from what I've seen, but apparently a good amount of you guys CANNOT read / understand a sentence. Please go back and read through the thread where it was already explained to another Canadian that It was never said that Canada has 10 dangerous cities. If you're another Quebecois like the other dude then I understand why you jumped the gun...

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The US Department of State brings information about facts of every country that are far away from the experience of most people. Things happen, is it a fact, but once you read their travel warnings you are under the impression that bad things are going to happen every time you travel. They tend to exagerate a little.

It is inportant to be an informed traveler, know the place you visit very well before your travel, follow the advise of others to reduce your risks and always have an enjoyable trip, as I always have.

Good advice.

The 10 most dangerous cities in the World (for tourists) are whatever cities the 10 dumbest tourists happen to be in when they take the poll.