cost of eating out

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
I'm trying to budget for my forthcoming trip and wonder how much I am likely to spend on eating out.

Can you get a reasonable meal for 500 - 800 pesos?

I know we all have different tastes and appetites, but can people give me an idea of meal costs in Sosua?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You can eat out from RD$100 to RD$3500+. I have attacehed a menu from Rocky's where many of the expats in the area eat on a regular basis. Others will have other preferences. You certainly can eat in your budget range. Great Food at Reasonable Prices

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
Thanks for the link. Will definitely be on my places a to eat and gives me a good idea of what is available.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you spend what you have in your budget range you will be spending more than many of us do for most meals.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Typically a local chicken meal will cost 100 pesos with water.
More up market pato del dia 130 pesos.

pi2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

pi2

You have to love this guy. He throws money around like manhole covers in Manhattan.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
There are places in Sosua where you can eat from 120 to 160 pesos. I know a place in particular, call BATATICA. It is a block away from Passion. Just ask any motoconcho to take you there. They serve good Dominican food and they don't have gringo prices like Rocky's and other similar spots.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

pi2

Food for construction workers range from100-120 , why somebody would come on vacation to eat s..t?
A reasonable dominican food in a decent and clean place starts at 250 pesos.

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
IMHO-I took a look at the prices of meals offered at Rockys and they seem far more than reasonable- certainly better pricing than in the US or CA.... speaking for myself, I know where my family and I will be hanging out when we arrive into town! I can't wait...

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Food for construction workers range from100-120 , why somebody would come on vacation to eat s..t?
A reasonable dominican food in a decent and clean place starts at 250 pesos.

You got a point there...LOL..

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
There are places in Sosua where you can eat from 120 to 160 pesos. I know a place in particular, call BATATICA. It is a block away from Passion. Just ask any motoconcho to take you there. They serve good Dominican food and they don't have gringo prices like Rocky's and other similar spots.

Great post and now you showed the rest of us how to save money so we can afford condoms to go to Passions!

Mucho Gracias Tony D Man !

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Great prices at Rocky's. Sure beats anywhere here in the Capital. May have to try it sometime!!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
dont think the op really wants to eat cheap chicken and rice on his holiday.....a reasonable meal will be around 370 so you will be well in budget

penboy

Sep 4, 2011
Plenty of food for thought with those posts. We all have different tastes and expectations of standards so I will try out the various suggestions and make up my own mind.

thanks for all contributions.

May 5, 2007
Plenty of food for thought with those posts. We all have different tastes and expectations of standards so I will try out the various suggestions and make up my own mind.

I missed most of the post in this thread, but what I recall is most of the "chain" restaurants are about 25-40% higher than USA and typical upscale Dominican restaurants ran on par with Miami or NYC in price but not atmosphere and quality. Not saying they were terrible, but when you pay 50-75USD for steak dinner you would hope to get at least a Longhorn/Bugaboo Creek meal, but often not even that
'
We would eat in some small local restaurants for 5-8 bucks a meal I think, it's hard unless you concentrate on the actual price as beverages, taxes, graft, built in profit margin, toilet paper fees and whatever add up and I can't recall what the basic meal cost :-(

Sorry, most of my experience was Santo Domingo/Santiago and environs

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
'
We would eat in some small local restaurants for 5-8 bucks a meal I think, it's hard unless you concentrate on the actual price as beverages, taxes, graft, built in profit margin, toilet paper fees and whatever add up and I can't recall what the basic meal cost :-(

Sorry, most of my experience was Santo Domingo/Santiago and environs
That is an important point. If I remember, Rocky's menu prices are tax included, gratuity up to you. Many places add 26% to their prices to cover tax and service charge.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011

Yes, good - I have had excellent meals in the DR from 100 - 150 pesos including a rum or water.
There is, it't true plenty of overpriced junk food about.

It's also possible to do-it-yourself - take some charcoal to a remote beach, buy fresh fish from a local vendor and use an aluminium tray for the charcoal. Make sure eveything is soaked in water before leaving and take rubbish with you. People here long time use a solar oven. A portable sun-shade is useful.

Fish or prawns, pasta, salad maybe under 50 pesos - assuming 3-4 people.

If you choose correctly you can go snorkelling etc. and observe the beautiful wild-life, humming birds etc.

Hire of bicycles is beginning to be very popular in the DR so good exercise too! Swimming and cycling!

pi2