cost of eating out

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Penboy, You might want to look here : Sos?a-News - Restaurant Guide

It is pretty up to date and mentions most of the good restaurants in Sosua. There are also some great beach bars that are not included in this guide.

Enjoy Sosua

OLLY

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
its cheaper if you catch the fish yourself and use wood instead of charcoal durrrr

Is charcoal ''environmentally friendly'' ?? Are you talking about the bag of carbon you buy (for example at Jumbo) or carbon which was (and is it still??) forbidden to make ?????????

Don't tell me we will need to call yanandu for help ???????????????Ay Dios noooooooooo

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yanandu......I've missed you!
Please, tell me how I assess Fetal heart tones on a pregnant woman with just a mango and a paperclip!

SHALENA

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nrp-STYBzWQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

more rope please lol
Manu

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
well, 'm not saying that Rocky's are a bunch of scammrs, b/c food and catering business is a pain in a*** , but it's expensive. In DT of Toronto you can eat for less. just what I'm saying is, if one live there (and lives because wants to have less headaches than in Can/US), namely, not coocking on the beach or looking for super-sales in farmers markets and doing his own food at home, but go out for a breakfast, have some lunch bier and two or three with the dinner at a basic patio-style place, you have to spend at least $1K monthly on your food/bier, plus rent, lets say $600,- some medicine, basics, $2K is a VERY minimum one should have, not calcualting travel to your motherland, etc. it's not that cheap.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I'm trying to budget for my forthcoming trip and wonder how much I am likely to spend on eating out.

Can you get a reasonable meal for 500 - 800 pesos?

I know we all have different tastes and appetites, but can people give me an idea of meal costs in Sosua?
Yes you can. Ealier this evening 2 people, 1 beer, 4 glasses of wine, capresa, 2 delicious plates of spaghetti. Total 1200.00.

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
Yes you can. Ealier this evening 2 people, 1 beer, 4 glasses of wine, capresa, 2 delicious plates of spaghetti. Total 1200.00.
Ok, shpagetti is nota meal, self cost 900lbs $1,-. its nada. it's $36,- for 1 bier 4 vines (I can just imagina what kind of, p.s. I used to work as tour guide in France in vine regions for 2 years), and 2 shpagettis? huh it's robbery!
sorry, my humble opinion

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
don't compare US prices, in US/Can you have no airfaire expense (just $100-200 gas bill) plus you have cell phone connection/ internet in iphone (i.e you can do your business and make $ while in "vacations")

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
It's 4 days drive from Toronto or Northen US to Florida.
Air fare is only slightly cheaper than to DR.
Winter weather is better in DR.

Many people use a US Skype virtual number and a w-fi skype phone.

You can program this number to redirect to a skype wi-fi video or skype normal phone that can be bought for 100 dollar.
Also to mobile or fixed number in any country.

Rate are low.

You can have video conversations, receive calls, make normal calls, set up conference calls , have voicemail etc. etc. from your laptop / skype phone using residence or hotel wi-fi. Calls to other skype users are free.

If you are outside this area many restaurants have wi-fi.

A dongle 3G for computer is available as is a Dominican Sim for your mobile. This may be cheaper than roaming to call US.

So if your business is computer/phone based you can carry on making $$$ in DR whlle enjoying grandes at $2.50.

pi2.

don't compare US prices, in US/Can you have no airfaire expense (just $100-200 gas bill) plus you have cell phone connection/ internet in iphone (i.e you can do your business and make $ while in "vacations")

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
well, 'm not saying that Rocky's are a bunch of scammrs, b/c food and catering business is a pain in a*** , but it's expensive. In DT of Toronto you can eat for less. just what I'm saying is, if one live there (and lives because wants to have less headaches than in Can/US), namely, not coocking on the beach or looking for super-sales in farmers markets and doing his own food at home, but go out for a breakfast, have some lunch bier and two or three with the dinner at a basic patio-style place, you have to spend at least $1K monthly on your food/bier, plus rent, lets say $600,- some medicine, basics, $2K is a VERY minimum one should have, not calcualting travel to your motherland, etc. it's not that cheap.
I don't know what kind of crap you eat in Toronto, but to say Rocky's is expensive is either misinformed or stupid. First, Rocky's prices include the 26% "tax" (16% ITBIS and 10% Service). Does your Toronto prices include taxes? How you can say US$10 for a rib dinner or US$4 for a medium pizza or US$3 for bacon and eggs with toast and coffee is expensive?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, shpagetti is nota meal, self cost 900lbs $1,-. its nada. it's $36,- for 1 bier 4 vines (I can just imagina what kind of, p.s. I used to work as tour guide in France in vine regions for 2 years), and 2 shpagettis? huh it's robbery!
sorry, my humble opinion
Home made pasta. Not the crap you buy in supermarkets. 1 beer.. 90.00, 4 glasses of decent wine @ 150.00ea. Capresa 150.00 (Don't remember exact.). 2 plates of pasta @ 200.00ec. 1240.00 (Taxes incl.) = 26.00 CDN.

Canada, 1 beer..4.00, capresa..3.50, 4 glasses of wine @ 4.00 = 16.00, 2 pastas @ 5.00 = 10.00 = 33.60 + 17% taxes = 39.31
And I was robbed on top of that. ;)

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
exactly. and then you can skype call - free - your friends and have them turn on the camera so you can see them eat.
comes out well cheaper than actually eating yourself.
living on cosmic energy - Google Search
Eating at beach restaurants in St. Martaan, it can be a bit unappetizing when some people insist on dining in the nude. So if you dine with someone on Skype, depending on who they are, you might want to insist that they be clothed.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
To the OP, try the schnitzel with mashed potatos at the Romanoff. My favorite when in Sosua at a very fair price.