Spirit... be warned!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I just read in the news that Spirit is going to charge 100$ for passengers with handluggage, if they show up with it at the gate.

If they check it in at the check-in, or tell that they have handluggage whilst booking online, the charge is slightly lower.

Another good reason to avoid Spirit.

BelgianK

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Hi BelgianK!

Actually I see it as a good reason to fly Spirit. This way you can be sure Dominicans won't be bringing their 'carry-ons' on the plane and slowing the boarding process! Just because you can carry it on to a donkey, doesn't mean you can carry it on a plane! :)

Jan 9, 2004
I just read in the news that Spirit is going to charge 100$ for passengers with handluggage, if they show up with it at the gate.

If they check it in at the check-in, or tell that they have handluggage whilst booking online, the charge is slightly lower.

BelgianK

I used to be a big supporter of this airline when they first started flying to the DR. However, over the years they have consistently found ways to nickel and dime the consumer.

Some of their latest fees, is as you mention, the hand luggage fee. But they do not stop there. Almost all fees (and there are many) will increase November 6, 2012. You now of course pay for each bag...and they have lowered the weight amount to 40 pounds per suitcase. Over that weight....you guessed it...pay another fee. Need a boarding pass...pay $2.00 to get it from a kiosk...$5.00 from an agent. Choose a seat....pay a fee...the list is almost endless.

Unless you intend to fly without any luggage whatsoever, this airline is no longer worth even checking on prices as even their arrival/departure/layover times are long and inconvenient.

AirTran is or will start flying to Punta Cana. They are now owned by Southwest...where bags fly free. Maybe they will expand their service to the capital. One can only hope. In the mean time, Jetblue seems to be the best option from the states.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agreed...I always check my stuff as I don't want to deal with the hassle of carry-on's. On the other hand I think Spirit will lose business with this decision, because a lot of people DO like to have their carry-on and if the difference in price is about 100 USD between Spirit's fare and its competitors I suspect most people will choose the other. I already do...the only time I fly Spirit is if the price difference is more than 100 USD and their time is more convenient than the others.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We flew last Saturday from SDQ.... USAir

The agents went thru the waiting area and collected most of the carryon items people had.
They tagged them and hand checked them at the boarding gate.

The boarding process went much smoother.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
We flew last Saturday from SDQ.... USAir

The agents went thru the waiting area and collected most of the carryon items people had.
They tagged them and hand checked them at the boarding gate.

The boarding process went much smoother.

I would like to know how many things are stolen from these bags.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011

BelgianK

Don't want to pay that then simply pay for it online...

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Back pack is free. We all know how slow island people are getting their bags in and out of the overhead bin. There is also a vieja that always picks the wrong seat and then takeoff is delayed! How hard is it to look at your ticket and match it to the seat number?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Back pack is free. We all know how slow island people are getting their bags in and out of the overhead bin. There is also a vieja that always picks the wrong seat and then takeoff is delayed! How hard is it to look at your ticket and match it to the seat number?

Hahaha that ALWAYS happens.

Derfish: I know that for most people that time is not ideal, but for me it actually is sometimes because it allows me to work a full day and then I can be there to enjoy the whole of next day instead of wasting it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would like to know how many things are stolen from these bags.

The flight went to Phila.... one of the worst theft airports in the country.

Actually, those last minute checks are the safest.. bags are always in broad daylight w/ little chance to steal.
Its like checking your baby stroller... taken at the door and handed back at the door.
Better than going underground

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The $100 charge doesn't take effect until November, and that's only if you pay at the gate. Online it will be much less [$35 or $45, can't remember]. And it only applies to bags placed in the overhead bins, if your carry on will fit under the seat in front of you it's free.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Hahaha that ALWAYS happens.

Derfish: I know that for most people that time is not ideal, but for me it actually is sometimes because it allows me to work a full day and then I can be there to enjoy the whole of next day instead of wasting it.
Yes, the night flights are great because you don't waste your day traveling

Jan 9, 2004
For those DR1 members thinking of using Spirit...they may provide great bare bones deals.....but, here is another lesson on lousy Public Relations. While there is no doubt they have a specific policy for this incident...it begs for a way to be successfully resolved.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Spirit Airlines (SAVE) isn't making a lot of friends these days. If anything, the low-cost carrier might be writing the beginning chapters of a what-not-to-do manual for corporations.

Here's a summary:

•Categorically tell a former Marine who's dying of cancer you will not refund the ticket he bought, even though his doctor told him not to fly.
•More than double certain carry-on bag fees, since you're an airline who caters to people who don't want to or can't spend a lot of money.
•Tell folks who have a problem with it to get over it.
Now, no company of any size and in any business, publicly traded or otherwise, is required to be "nice." Corporations, one can certainly and fairly argue, exist at the most basic level to provide a good or service and to make a profit.

Still, at the end of the day, companies have actual real people as employees. And if you're the type of person who thinks most people are decent, you might assume those employees want the place they work to be interested in doing the right thing -- even if that means sacrificing a little profit every now and then. Let's take a look at what's transpiring at the Miramar, Fla.-based discount airline.

A 76-year-old Vietnam veteran named Jerry Meekins bought a Florida-to-Atlantic City ticket to visit his daughter. He paid $197. Meekins has esophageal cancer, and it's going to kill him. He already knew he had cancer, but he found out he was terminally ill after he purchased the ticket. His doctor advised him to avoid the flight because he's too sick.

Naturally, Meekins went to Spirit and asked for a refund. His version of events is that the airline basically said that's a shame, but you're not getting a refund. Here's the thing -- that's also effectively Spirit's version of events.

Ben Baldanza, the chief executive of Spirit, told FoxNews.com why Meekins won't be getting his money back: He should have bought insurance. "A lot of our customers buy that insurance and what Mr. Meekins asked us to do was essentially give him the benefit of that insurance when he didn't purchase the insurance," Baldanza said, according to the web site. "Had we done that, I think it really would've been cheating all the people who actually bought the insurance ... and I think that's fundamentally unfair."

The report goes on to quote Baldanza further. "We feel very badly for Mr. Meekins, however, this is a country and society where we kind of play by the rules. And he wanted to really not do that and that's really not fair to the 10 million other Spirit customers and that's why we made that decision."

In a way, he's absolutely correct. Rules are rules, and we need them to maintain law and order and civil society. We know this, and most of us embrace that fact. But should every rule be enforced at all times with absolutely zero room for interpretation? Depends on your perspective. If you ask Baldanza if he thinks rules are made to be broken, you're probably wasting your time.

Meekins says he was offered a credit for a future flight, but again, there remains that matter of being told by his doctor not to fly, since it could make his already grave illness even worse. He ended up driving to New Jersey to see his daughter. A Facebook page titled Boycott Spirit Airlines has more than 31,000 "Likes" as of this writing.

For the record, the same FoxNews.com report pointed out to Baldanza, citing Department of Transportation statistics, that his airline had 8.27 complaints for every 100,000 flying passengers in January, a number that was the worst in the survey and more than twice as bad as United, the No. 2 carrier on the list. Baldanza said it was "an irrelevant statistic," and suggested that, "Why don't we interpret that 99.92 [percent] of all customers have no complaints? Because that is what it says."

The Meekins story isn't all. Spirit, which has made its name with low fares, is going to begin charging $100 for carry-ons that are stowed in the overhead compartment in cases when the bags are taken care of at the gate. The old fee was $45, so count this as a double and then some. If your bag fits under the seat, no worries -- that's still going to be free. It cannot be overstated that there is nothing wrong with making money. Just that this is the kind of thing that makes "discount" less of a discount if you're not a very careful planner when it comes to flying.

Of course, fees beyond the ticket price aren't unique to Spirit by any stretch. Anyone who's flown in the last decade or so knows that a host of new costs have been required to keep airlines from going under. Fuel is extremely expensive, security measures have gone up considerably and business is business. Ignore that series of bankruptcies you might have heard about in the industry.

According to The Wall Street Journal this week, Spirit is "a leader in charging for so-called ancillary services, stripping down its fares to offer only a ticket and ignoring criticism from some politicians about a strategy that includes charging extra for carry-on bags and which helped make it among the most profitable in the global industry." A leader, no less.

These "ancillaries" made up more than 40% of Spirit's revenue in the first quarter, when it had a top line of $23.4 million. That was nearly triple the same period of the prior year. For reference, $23.4 million would buy Meekins nearly 119,000 tickets at $197 each.

Thanks to Spirit's approach and Baldanza's business sense, shareholders of Spirit have been rewarded in a big way. When Spirit was newly public in May 2011, it was trading in the $11 a share range. It's now above $22, so anyone's who has had it for a year has doubled that original investment. However, the shares are down about 3% this week.

Investors have gotten a clear payoff, and they've been treated right by Baldanza and his team. No two ways about that. But have customers? At the risk of sounding somewhat Occupy Wall Streety, the case of Spirit, and in particular its handling of the Meekins matter, might make all of us do a little thinking.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
Its all the same. Don't you think that the others have already charged you for everything upfront?

Jan 9, 2004
Its all the same. Don't you think that the others have already charged you for everything upfront?

Well, you certainly have a point.

It just seems that Spirit has engendered themselves to controversy even with the timing and name of their so called "sales." Case in point was the the oil rig explosion sale after the BP incident where 11 people lost their lives. That is but one example..and in my humble opinion...was in very bad taste.

The DOT has even called them out for their hidden pricing.....and how did they respond..they instituted a $2.00 per person fee each way called the "Unintended consequences of DOT Regulations Fee." Extremely arrogant....but to each his own.

Again, I really liked that airline...at one time.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Also be aware that leg room is non existent, and no reclining seats. But for $75 extra there are four larger seats in the front.

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
For those DR1 members thinking of using Spirit...they may provide great bare bones deals.....but, here is another lesson on lousy Public Relations. While there is no doubt they have a specific policy for this incident...it begs for a way to be successfully resolved.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Spirit Airlines (SAVE) isn't making a lot of friends these days. If anything, the low-cost carrier might be writing the beginning chapters of a what-not-to-do manual for corporations.

Here's a summary:

•Categorically tell a former Marine who's dying of cancer you will not refund the ticket he bought, even though his doctor told him not to fly.
•More than double certain carry-on bag fees, since you're an airline who caters to people who don't want to or can't spend a lot of money.
•Tell folks who have a problem with it to get over it.
Now, no company of any size and in any business, publicly traded or otherwise, is required to be "nice." Corporations, one can certainly and fairly argue, exist at the most basic level to provide a good or service and to make a profit.

Still, at the end of the day, companies have actual real people as employees. And if you're the type of person who thinks most people are decent, you might assume those employees want the place they work to be interested in doing the right thing -- even if that means sacrificing a little profit every now and then. Let's take a look at what's transpiring at the Miramar, Fla.-based discount airline.

A 76-year-old Vietnam veteran named Jerry Meekins bought a Florida-to-Atlantic City ticket to visit his daughter. He paid $197. Meekins has esophageal cancer, and it's going to kill him. He already knew he had cancer, but he found out he was terminally ill after he purchased the ticket. His doctor advised him to avoid the flight because he's too sick.

Naturally, Meekins went to Spirit and asked for a refund. His version of events is that the airline basically said that's a shame, but you're not getting a refund. Here's the thing -- that's also effectively Spirit's version of events.

Ben Baldanza, the chief executive of Spirit, told FoxNews.com why Meekins won't be getting his money back: He should have bought insurance. "A lot of our customers buy that insurance and what Mr. Meekins asked us to do was essentially give him the benefit of that insurance when he didn't purchase the insurance," Baldanza said, according to the web site. "Had we done that, I think it really would've been cheating all the people who actually bought the insurance ... and I think that's fundamentally unfair."

The report goes on to quote Baldanza further. "We feel very badly for Mr. Meekins, however, this is a country and society where we kind of play by the rules. And he wanted to really not do that and that's really not fair to the 10 million other Spirit customers and that's why we made that decision."

In a way, he's absolutely correct. Rules are rules, and we need them to maintain law and order and civil society. We know this, and most of us embrace that fact. But should every rule be enforced at all times with absolutely zero room for interpretation? Depends on your perspective. If you ask Baldanza if he thinks rules are made to be broken, you're probably wasting your time.

Meekins says he was offered a credit for a future flight, but again, there remains that matter of being told by his doctor not to fly, since it could make his already grave illness even worse. He ended up driving to New Jersey to see his daughter. A Facebook page titled Boycott Spirit Airlines has more than 31,000 "Likes" as of this writing.

For the record, the same FoxNews.com report pointed out to Baldanza, citing Department of Transportation statistics, that his airline had 8.27 complaints for every 100,000 flying passengers in January, a number that was the worst in the survey and more than twice as bad as United, the No. 2 carrier on the list. Baldanza said it was "an irrelevant statistic," and suggested that, "Why don't we interpret that 99.92 [percent] of all customers have no complaints? Because that is what it says."

The Meekins story isn't all. Spirit, which has made its name with low fares, is going to begin charging $100 for carry-ons that are stowed in the overhead compartment in cases when the bags are taken care of at the gate. The old fee was $45, so count this as a double and then some. If your bag fits under the seat, no worries -- that's still going to be free. It cannot be overstated that there is nothing wrong with making money. Just that this is the kind of thing that makes "discount" less of a discount if you're not a very careful planner when it comes to flying.

Of course, fees beyond the ticket price aren't unique to Spirit by any stretch. Anyone who's flown in the last decade or so knows that a host of new costs have been required to keep airlines from going under. Fuel is extremely expensive, security measures have gone up considerably and business is business. Ignore that series of bankruptcies you might have heard about in the industry.

According to The Wall Street Journal this week, Spirit is "a leader in charging for so-called ancillary services, stripping down its fares to offer only a ticket and ignoring criticism from some politicians about a strategy that includes charging extra for carry-on bags and which helped make it among the most profitable in the global industry." A leader, no less.

These "ancillaries" made up more than 40% of Spirit's revenue in the first quarter, when it had a top line of $23.4 million. That was nearly triple the same period of the prior year. For reference, $23.4 million would buy Meekins nearly 119,000 tickets at $197 each.

Thanks to Spirit's approach and Baldanza's business sense, shareholders of Spirit have been rewarded in a big way. When Spirit was newly public in May 2011, it was trading in the $11 a share range. It's now above $22, so anyone's who has had it for a year has doubled that original investment. However, the shares are down about 3% this week.

Investors have gotten a clear payoff, and they've been treated right by Baldanza and his team. No two ways about that. But have customers? At the risk of sounding somewhat Occupy Wall Streety, the case of Spirit, and in particular its handling of the Meekins matter, might make all of us do a little thinking.

Spirit Airlines (SAVE) said Friday afternoon that it will make an exception to its refund policy and reimburse the fare of a terminally ill man who had bought a ticket on the carrier, but was then told by his doctor not to fly.

The story of Jerry Meekins sparked considerable debate about Spirit and whether its policy should be more flexible -- or whether the company should in fact stand its ground in the matter.
In addition to the refund, Spirit plans to make a donation to Wounded Warriors in the amount of $5,000. Meekins served in Vietnam as a member of the Marine Corps. The press release from Spirit quoting Chief Executive Ben Baldanza and announcing the decision is below. After that, you can read the original article to see what prompted the controversy.
Statement From Ben Baldanza, CEO of Spirit Airlines
MIRAMAR, Fla., May 4, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- "At a time of ever-rising airfares, Spirit Airlines makes commercial air travel affordable for many Americans. A very important part of keeping our airfares reasonably priced is our refund policy.
"Every day we seek to balance customer service with customers' demands for the lowest airfare possible. But sometimes we make mistakes.
"In my statements regarding Mr. Meekins' request for a refund, I failed to explain why our policy on refunds makes Spirit Airlines the only affordable choice for so many travelers, and I did not demonstrate the respect or the compassion that I should have, given his medical condition and his service to our country.
"Therefore I have decided to personally refund Mr. Meekins' airfare, and Spirit Airlines will make a $5,000 contribution, in his name, to the charity of his choice, Wounded Warriors.
"We have worked hard to build a great company that makes air travel affordable while making our employees proud and customers satisfied. All of us at Spirit Airlines extend our prayers and best wishes to Mr. Meekins."

Jan 9, 2004
Spirit Airlines (SAVE) said Friday afternoon that it will make an exception to its refund policy and reimburse the fare of a terminally ill man who had bought a ticket on the carrier, but was then told by his doctor not to fly.

The story of Jerry Meekins sparked considerable debate about Spirit and whether its policy should be more flexible -- or whether the company should in fact stand its ground in the matter.
In addition to the refund, Spirit plans to make a donation to Wounded Warriors in the amount of $5,000. Meekins served in Vietnam as a member of the Marine Corps. The press release from Spirit quoting Chief Executive Ben Baldanza and announcing the decision is below. After that, you can read the original article to see what prompted the controversy.
Statement From Ben Baldanza, CEO of Spirit Airlines
MIRAMAR, Fla., May 4, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- "At a time of ever-rising airfares, Spirit Airlines makes commercial air travel affordable for many Americans. A very important part of keeping our airfares reasonably priced is our refund policy.
"Every day we seek to balance customer service with customers' demands for the lowest airfare possible. But sometimes we make mistakes.
"In my statements regarding Mr. Meekins' request for a refund, I failed to explain why our policy on refunds makes Spirit Airlines the only affordable choice for so many travelers, and I did not demonstrate the respect or the compassion that I should have, given his medical condition and his service to our country.
"Therefore I have decided to personally refund Mr. Meekins' airfare, and Spirit Airlines will make a $5,000 contribution, in his name, to the charity of his choice, Wounded Warriors.
"We have worked hard to build a great company that makes air travel affordable while making our employees proud and customers satisfied. All of us at Spirit Airlines extend our prayers and best wishes to Mr. Meekins."

Whiddons:

Thanks for the update.

While I do not believe Ben Baldanza had an epiphany about his policies, I am thankful that he got the message from the flying public, facebbok, etc., that at least this particular situation begged for a remedy.....not more corporate rhetoric....and they found one.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Well Playacaribe2,

I'm not sure why American consumers always think the world owes them something??? Does it really matter that this guy is a vietnam vet? would it make a difference if he was an ex-con? or just a middle class joe high school teacher?

I bought shares in spirit because I just LOVE their service offering. It's the ryanair of North America. Yes it seems they treat their customers with contempt sometimes, but not all their customers - just the ones that don't know how to read!

What nobody ever writes a story about is the 80% of their customers who save hundreds of dollars in exchange for inconvenience. A young backpacker or immigrant family can go from Fort Lauderdale to half of Latin America with the right level of planning for 50-60$ per ticket. Just think about that. Now, in exchange for that low fare, sure they may have to take a flight at 3am, or land in an airport that requires a bus ride, or they may not be able to bring everything and the kitchen sink in their 'carry-on'... but naturally 80% people are willing to put up with the inconvenience, because it's that same inconvenience that's passing along the low fares. The other 20% are the loud mouths who think the world owes them something for nothing, and well...they result in these types of stories.

Everybody's dieing. Not just the customer with cancer. Everyone who misses a flight, can think of a good reason (beyond simple cell division and the aging process) why they should get their $197 fare back. Trip insurance was designed for a reason. I totally agree with the CEO's original position!