Spirit... be warned!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Randall, I agree with almost everything you said. I've flown Spirit to Florida from Atlantic City numerous times, never a problem, usually on time, great prices. It is what it is.

As far as the Vietnam vet comment, you're right, but.... In my opinion the Vietnam vets have earned a somewhat special and rather unique spot in the heart of today's seniors or almost seniors. I'm 61, I was a teen to 20-something during that era, and I lost family and friends there. When those boys came home, their "reception" was awful, people spit on them, etc., as if it was their fault that they were sent there. Somehow, over the years, people have done an about face and elevated them to a special status.

To keep this DR related, we've never flown to DR on Spirit, even though the ACY airport is close to home. We hate the connecting flights on ANY airline, so we drive almost 3 hours to JFK instead.

Jan 9, 2004
Well Playacaribe2,

I'm not sure why American consumers always think the world owes them something???

A broad brushed generalized statement without merit....and I think you know that. What we don't allow is for government(s) or corporations to walk all over us ....at least not for very long.....and I make no apology for that. As a people we are some of the most generous on earth. Recall the recent tragic car accident involving a Dominican family that was killed. Thousands of dollars have been donated to get the bodies back to the DR and given a decent burial....by citizens who don't even know the deceased.

Does it really matter that this guy is a vietnam vet? would it make a difference if he was an ex-con? or just a middle class joe high school teacher?

Perhaps you missed the real point. This is about corporate goodwill. He was under a Doctors care, diagnosed with a terminal disesase and advised not to travel. The fact that he was vietnam veteran/marine were probably only relevant in mobilizing support and contacting Spirit.

I bought shares in spirit because I just LOVE their service offering. It's the ryanair of North America. Yes it seems they treat their customers with contempt sometimes, but not all their customers - just the ones that don't know how to read!

Then you would appear to have done well with your investment.

So they only treat their customers with contempt that do not know how to read? And you know this because?

What nobody ever writes a story about is the 80% of their customers who save hundreds of dollars in exchange for inconvenience. A young backpacker or immigrant family can go from Fort Lauderdale to half of Latin America with the right level of planning for 50-60$ per ticket. Just think about that. Now, in exchange for that low fare, sure they may have to take a flight at 3am, or land in an airport that requires a bus ride, or they may not be able to bring everything and the kitchen sink in their 'carry-on'... but naturally 80% people are willing to put up with the inconvenience, because it's that same inconvenience that's passing along the low fares. The other 20% are the loud mouths who think the world owes them something for nothing, and well...they result in these types of stories.

Spirit has been written about both good and bad. As stated above the DOT ordered them to post their pricing for consumers to see. Thus if you go to the Spirit website, they actually devote an entire page to those fees. As I stated, at one time I actually liked and flew them. But their lack of pricing disclosure changed my opinion and I have not flown them since. Have they bee successful? Absolutely....but so have many corporations before their arrogance brought them down (WorldCom, Enron etc.)

I totally agree with the CEO's original position!

Well, at least one of you has changed their mind....and done the right thing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Well Playacaribe2,

I'm not sure why American consumers always think the world owes them something??? Does it really matter that this guy is a vietnam vet? would it make a difference if he was an ex-con? or just a middle class joe high school teacher?

I bought shares in spirit because I just LOVE their service offering. It's the ryanair of North America. Yes it seems they treat their customers with contempt sometimes, but not all their customers - just the ones that don't know how to read!

What nobody ever writes a story about is the 80% of their customers who save hundreds of dollars in exchange for inconvenience. A young backpacker or immigrant family can go from Fort Lauderdale to half of Latin America with the right level of planning for 50-60$ per ticket. Just think about that. Now, in exchange for that low fare, sure they may have to take a flight at 3am, or land in an airport that requires a bus ride, or they may not be able to bring everything and the kitchen sink in their 'carry-on'... but naturally 80% people are willing to put up with the inconvenience, because it's that same inconvenience that's passing along the low fares. The other 20% are the loud mouths who think the world owes them something for nothing, and well...they result in these types of stories.

Everybody's dieing. Not just the customer with cancer. Everyone who misses a flight, can think of a good reason (beyond simple cell division and the aging process) why they should get their $197 fare back. Trip insurance was designed for a reason. I totally agree with the CEO's original position!

I am sorry Mr Bell but that company STINKS!!! There are trillions of complaints about Spirit, but let me give you one of mine. Spirit has one gate a Chicgo Ohare airport and it is a LONG LONG walk from security so when you arrive you think you are going to sit and rest, BUT at their gate there are not SEATS so you stand or sit on the floor until the plane statrs to board TALK about CHEAP!!!

BTW Tell the Spirit people I would rather walk to the DR then ever get back on one of those CRUMMY, BOOTLEG planes and that LOUSY airport in FT Lauderdale is the PITTS.

Last edited:

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Don't know when your experience was. I had a good sleep waiting for my flight out of ORD last time. But someone said that when they first started flying out of ORD there was a problem that the airport authority had to reimburse Spirit for. Don't know the details, but maybe that is when you had a problem.
Delta seems to be all over MSP airport. We came in on one Delta flight and had to walk almost a mile to another connecting flight still on Delta.
Der FIsh
I found out something FUNNY about Spirit ,a lady told this to me in the airport. People LAUGH at travlers who are standing at a Spirit gate like it is the welfare plane or something. My daughter's mother sister flew to Miami and got stranded when they went on STRIKE!! two years ago.

Spirit gate at Ohare is at the very back of the airport FAR FAR away from the United, Delta, and American gates.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Of course she got stranded if she went to Miami airport trying to find Spirit Airlines. They don't go there. They fly out of Ft Lauderdale.

Yeah!!! You do know that MIA and FT Lauderdale are in the same proximity as far as airports goes. Many people fly into FLL when they are going to Miami because it is cheaper. Its like Ohare and Midway and JFK and Newark.

xwill

Dec 2, 2011
I am sorry Mr Bell but that company STINKS!!! There are trillions of complaints about Spirit, but let me give you one of mine. Spirit has one gate a Chicgo Ohare airport and it is a LONG LONG walk from security so when you arrive you think you are going to sit and rest, BUT at their gate there are not SEATS so you stand or sit on the floor until the plane statrs to board TALK about CHEAP!!!

BTW Tell the Spirit people I would rather walk to the DR then ever get back on one of those CRUMMY, BOOTLEG planes and that LOUSY airport in FT Lauderdale is the PITTS.
Long walk? ORD is huge! They have added seats and upgraded the waiting area. If you fly AA you have to walk a similar distance at that airport.

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
Playacaribe2 -

If you want an example of consumers thinking the world owes them something - just have a look at this page full of comments above!

1. Someone wants nice chairs.
2. Someone is complaining about walking too far in the airport.
3. Someone is complaining about the prices not being clear.

#1 - you want nice chairs? fly American
#2 - you want to walk less, buy a more expensive airline, better yet fly private jet!
#3 - the final final price is always crystal clear. nobody is making you enter your credit card details until you have the final price.

Again - I don't complain that my carro publico doesn't have air conditioning, and a great stereo system, and ew the people i'm sitting with smell funny. What do you expect for 30 pesos!?!?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Playacaribe2 -

If you want an example of consumers thinking the world owes them something - just have a look at this page full of comments above!

#2 - you want to walk less, buy a more expensive airline, better yet fly private jet!
#3 - the final final price is always crystal clear. nobody is making you enter your credit card details until you have the final price.

Again - I don't complain that my carro publico doesn't have air conditioning, and a great stereo system, and ew the people i'm sitting with smell funny. What do you expect for 30 pesos!?!?

Man!!! you are like SUPER Dominican.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I agree that most of the complaints regarding Spirit are for those who expect service vastly disproportionate to what people paid for their trip.

Spirit is the currently among the most profitable commercial airlines in the United States, and it's first quarter 2012 financials that were recently released are unheard of in the industry. $37 million in income from revenue of $301 million.

The $100 carry on bag fee is only for those who try to be sneaky and try to bring a bag aboard without paying anything. The one thing about Spirit is that it strictly and uniformly follows its policies no matter how much you yell and complain, no matter if you go to the media, no matter how much you swear up and down you will never fly with them again. (to which the answer should be "sure you will, as long as it is cheaper")

When Spirit released its IPO, it specifically said that its target market is VFR traffic from South Florida to Latin American and Caribbean destinations (immigrant population returning to their country to visit relatives or friends, much of this population is price sensitive) and very price sensitive leisure travelers.

If you live in the South Florida area, (as the cheapest flights are usually nonstop flights only), are flexible with your travel times, follow the rules, and don't pack like you're moving there, Spirit can be a great deal.

I really think Spirit is on to something with the carry on bag fee. The amount of carry on baggage passengers bring on board (or attempt to bring on board) the aircraft is absolutely unbelievable. Last week, flying on AA in business class MIA-SDQ and then in the main cabin the other way around, I noted that boarding and disembarking from the aircraft is painfully slow. There is just not enough space for all the bags people bring on board. No wonder why in MIA boarding began a solid hour before departure time. In comparison, boarding and deplaning Spirit flights is remarkably fast. Since few people purchased carry on baggage the bins remained mostly empty, Even sitting in row 20 I was outside the aircraft in less than 4 minutes after the doors opened upon arrival in SDQ, ( and the gate crew already had the passengers lined up and ready to board the plane back to FLL as soon as it emptied out) as opposed to well over 15 minutes to empty out an AA 757 upon arrival. All of Spirit's aircraft are leased, not owned and it's in Spirit's interest to use the planes as much as possible to make money off of them, as a plane only makes money in the air. This is why we have all these overnight flights. Instead of the plane sitting on the tarmac at FLL all night, it can go to Managua, or Santiago DR, or San Pedro Sula, Honduras and be back by the early morning and be making money. I have been on all three of those overnight routes and in all three cases the plane was completely full,mostly with people returning to their country to visit family.

I think other airlines, desperate for revenue and for quicker turnaround times, will eventually adapt a modified version of this rule, perhaps lowering the first checked bag fee while charging for a carryon, making it more cost effective for the passenger to check a bag and bring only a small personal bag for under the seat on the aircraft. It could look like this. ( I use AA as an example as I am most familiar with its policies)

Domestic US flights- current
Carry on baggage-free
1st checked bag-$25
2nd checked bag $35

Domestic US flights- with carry on bag fee
Small personal item- free
Carry on bag- $25
1st checked bag- $15
2nd checked bag $35

Then we can market the carry on bag as a convenience for someone who does not want to hang out at the airport in the baggage claim

For Caribbean flights- current

Carry on bag-free
1st checked bag-free
2nd checked bag-$40

For Caribbean flights- with carry on bag fee
small personal item-free
Carry on bag-$25
1st checked bag-free
2nd checked bag $40

All the usual exceptions would apply for waiving these fees (first class passengers, full fare, millitary, elite level frequent fliers)

These policies could be enforced the same way Spirit currently does it. Whether you check in online and go to the gate or check in at the counter, you will be given the option to check carry on bags, if you do not buy it, your boarding pass will read in large letters, "No carry on baggage" The gate agent will verify on boarding that your small bag will fit under the seat if you did not purchase a carry on bag and if you are not in compliance charge you $25 to carry the item onboard (if space is available) or $15 to check it.

Spirit is not for everyone, and if you have a lot of baggage, are not flying nonstop, need high frequency routes like a business traveler would, or are such a frequent flyer that you are elite status with a legacy airline, you would probably do better flying someone else. But there IS a market for this kind of product in the United States, as Spirit's excellent financials show. They've never been more profitable and their planes have never been fuller.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Again - I don't complain that my carro publico doesn't have air conditioning, and a great stereo system, and ew the people I'm sitting with smell funny. What do you expect for 30 pesos!?!?

I've been paying 20 in Santiago......
Is it more elsewhere.........

B in Santiago

Jan 9, 2004
Playacaribe2 -

RB:

I see you have now at least dropped the "American" reference. Tip of the hat on that one.

This story was about corporate goodwill and Spirit's President has apologized, refunded the gentleman's money and moved on.

I do like your analogy of Spirit to a carro publico though. lol

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe Spirit can increase their costs, lower their prices and be like other airlines...and go bankrupt.

If you don't like their business model, don't fly them.

Their nickel and diming is quite irritating, though. They've been doing this for years now. I'm surprised they still push the customer service and satisfaction envelope.

Jan 9, 2004
Maybe Spirit can increase their costs, lower their prices and be like other airlines...and go bankrupt.

Well, I think we both know that labor and pension costs were the primary reasons that pushed the legacy carriers into the mess they are in. Southwest recognized that early on and has worked hard at not emulating the legacies.

If you don't like their business model, don't fly them.

As I said, I used to fly them....then in my opinion, they started the nickel and diming, changed seat pitch to add more seats (making it uncomfortable to fly on long flights), stopped seats reclining, had longer layovers on connecting flights with inconvenient flight times...the list goes on.

But, they have been successful. It appears that they cater to the flying public going from point A to point B, i.e. SDQ/FLL....and to those who don't mind a "carro publico" (credit to Randall Bell) ride.

Their nickel and diming is quite irritating, though. They've been doing this for years now. I'm surprised they still push the customer service and satisfaction envelope.

I will be interested to see how Southwest uses its new acquisition, AirTran, to run head to head with Spirit in the Caribbean.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I will be interested to see how Southwest uses its new acquisition, AirTran, to run head to head with Spirit in the Caribbean.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Agreed. I fly SW as often as possible when in the states. Few criticisms.

I ~used~ to fly Spirit. No mas. But they don't need my bidniz. I'm happy to fly Jet Blue instead.

But in fairness to Spirit, they do run into many cultural issues in serving the Caribbean (including the DR): fewer arrange travel online, most bring their entire earthly possessions while traveling and behaviors while on the plane are...well...less than patient*. Seems the Spirit is implementing policies to counteract that.

*I'm a large, tall human. When I get on a plane there just isn't any legroom, and my knees are in the back of the seat ahead of me. ~Some~ folks think it is divine right to recline their seat on an airplane ASAP even though they don't have one reclining seat at home or anywhere they go beyond the salon. I have to tell the person in front of me, even if they're a dwarf, they will NOT be reclining their seat this flight. This usually doesn't go over joyously...:cheeky:

Randall Bell

Feb 17, 2012
lol. Cobraboy - my first time in a carro publico I was the third person in the back, and then someone opened the door and I just looked at them like - yes? Can I help you? Wow that was a rude awakening! I had to ride some dude's lap for 10 minutes! Popped my Publico cherry with that bromance, all to save 4 bucks haha.

Spirit is basically a Carro Publico in the sky - with AC, cleaner seats, and less lap riding!

kinostar

May 24, 2012
Spirit is a rip off and must laugh at the fools who fly with them. All the way to the bank.
I am in favor of economy but not rip offs. If you saw a road side sign "Pizza Buffet $3.99" and went in to find an extra $10 charge for it to be cooked, another extra charge to get a plate and another to use a table....would you go back? I wouldn't deal with such a low down outfit.

Charging extra to carry on a bag stinks. I never would pay it and don't have to. Charging to join a "fare club" stinks. I get low fares without that. Charging to print out a boarding pass or a reservations fee is crap. I get low fares on other airlines and they don't try to charge $3 for a cup of water. And I don't have to leave at 4 am either. A deal on Spirit? No thanks...they left people stranded during their pilot's strike.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
In all fairness, Spirit isn't or wasn't that bad. I flew Spirit in February 2010 from FLL to STI. I have to say I lucked out in many ways. They were daytime flights, coming and going(they never flew to STI daytime again as far as I know). I paid HALF of what American would have charged for me, my wife and daughter. And that's INCLUDING paying for parking at a hotel near FLL, because I live in SW MIAMI.

Sure, it wasn't the same, no electronic ticketing, old style wait in line at the airport, delay at gate, but something has to give....oh, and I forgot to mention...
I READ EVERYTHING and how much it would cost me...BEFORE NOT AFTER!!! That helped me plan out the trip and compare to American, it was HALF in travel costs, for three of us. and we even paid for the big front seats because I was expecting the worst!

If I travel alone, though, I confess, I fly American from MIA to STI. The difference in price isnt that great and its daytime.
But the red eye isn't such a bad idea, you make the most out of your travel day instead of losing it.....

But American is copying a few things from Spirits playbook...you want to select a seat online? no longer free buddy boy!! $14 or more to pick out your seat online...! $14 each way!!

kinostar

May 24, 2012
And I would like to add that I am flying American from my home in the US to Santo Domingo (afternoon arrival) for $348 r/t. a fair price. That includes taxes/fees. There were no extra charges for things like having a seat picked out. ( I did it on line, no extra fee) No club to join at a fee. No "customer service" call center in India

People are free to do whatever they want with their money but the harm in rewarding Spirit for fleecing people would be to encourage other airlines to do the same. But I have to admit the CEO of Spirit is right when he gloated that regardless of anything, all he has to do is show a fare that is cheap and the bargain hunters will come running. I should start a 10 cent fare club.... pay me $70 a year to join and I will charge you 10 cents plus $500 in fees to push you in the direction you want to go. WOW, a real deal!!!!

Last edited:

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
And I would like to add that I am flying American from my home in the US to Santo Domingo (afternoon arrival) for $348 r/t. a fair price. That includes taxes/fees. There were no extra charges for things like having a seat picked out. ( I did it on line, no extra fee) No club to join at a fee. No "customer service" call center in India

People are free to do whatever they want with their money but the harm in rewarding Spirit for fleecing people would be to encourage other airlines to do the same. But I have to admit the CEO of Spirit is right when he gloated that regardless of anything, all he has to do is show a fare that is cheap and the bargain hunters will come running. I should start a 10 cent fare club.... pay me $70 a year to join and I will charge you 10 cents plus $500 in fees to push you in the direction you want to go. WOW, a real deal!!!!

THANK YOU! I forgot to mention the CLUB!! hehehehehehehehe
Do your math! At the TIME, it was STILL HALF of what American would charge me for three people! and I even joined the stupid club...!

VERY DIFFERENT BALLGAME FLYING INTO SDQ, lots of airlines fly there, cheaper fares, been there done that....comes to 10 dollars cheaper flying there then paying somebody to take me to go to santiago, not worth it...

Again, you have to do the math...BEFORE! NOT AFTER!! It seems people complain about things without doing their homework first!

And yes, for the past months,if you want to select your seat online, 14 bucks on American, or theyll seat you wherever they want if you dont pay....should American start copying from Spirits playbook? absolutley not!!! But they have!

Not many options from Miami.....just American and Spirit to STI...

kinostar

May 24, 2012
Chris, I recently bought a ticket on American and did not pay for seat selection. You must pay to select what they consider a premium seat, I believe. On Spear-*hit , you pay period to pick a seat. You are welcome to your opinion that Spirit is such a bargain but I would not subject myself to paying to bring a carry on bag or paying to join a fare club each year. I consider it insulting to be asked for my credit card if I need a sip of water on a flight. I'm happy with the fares I get on American or Jet Blue. Or Taca. Doing the math or not, I don't do business with a company whose only interest is to extract another dime from me.