Encuentre al haitiano detr?s de su apellido "Dominicano"

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

None on this one, so far. Here's my list of surnames:

Paternal: Lozano, Gil, Bueno, Taveras

Maternal: Soto, Troncoso, Matos, Vallejo, Pe?a, Peguero, Custodio, Kelly (this one from a maternal great-great granny that came to the Republic with the rest of the British West Indians at the end of the XIXth century).

Have to keep investigating my paternal side more. I'll keep you posted as soon as my Mormon brother gets around with more info.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
NS,

Te vas a subir la camioneta. Gil/Gilles sound very Haitiano/Francais to me. What I found more interesting are the comments of the many Dominicans who are jumiping for joy that their name isn't on the list.. Worse this Dominican with a surname Lafontaine claiming she doesn't have Haitian roots. The suicide rate may skyrocket in the DR pretty soon.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
NS,

Te vas a subir la camioneta. Gil/Gilles sound very Haitiano/Francais to me. What I found more interesting are the comments of the many Dominicans who are jumiping for joy that their name isn't on the list.. Worse this Dominican with a surname Lafontaine claiming she doesn't have Haitian roots. The suicide rate may skyrocket in the DR pretty soon.

Keep guessing. This one is from one of the traditional campos from Santiago, which are as Euro looking as they come. You know what they say about people that assume...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
NS,

QUestion: How do they distinguish Haitian roots from French ? It could be either one, no ? Didn't they have bekes as they have in Martinique and Guadeloupe to this day ?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
QUestion: How do they distinguish Haitian roots from French ? It could be either one, no ? Didn't they have bekes as they have in Martinique and Guadeloupe to this day ?

That's what I was thinking. I don't think this kind of provocation is exactly what we need right now.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Specially since more than a few soldiers from the Napoleonic expedition (1802) decided to stay, like the scions of the Imbert and Michel families, for example.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That's what I was thinking. I don't think this kind of provocation is exactly what we need right now.

Non, non, castle, pas de provocation.:smoke:

Was just wondering...I am more familiar with French West Indian. I even knew a beke from Martinique, they didn't mix (well, officially at least, many had mistresses on the side, lol).
Someone from let's say Martinique would have the same last names as any French. I am assuming it is the same for Haiti.
Assuming that most French left after Haiti's independence, I thought it could go either way.
Just a thought.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003

Very good question Africaida but as in NS post above # 4. The Gilles' are from a campo in Santiago and are Euro looking so they can't be Haitianos. The mindset of the Dominiken is something beyond comprehension/mind boggling. Subete la camioneta ya. Tu si esta ligado con los haitiens. Tu parle creole..te espero a la frontiere mon ami.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
I will be very surprised if both sides of my family do not have haitian blood. my father and mother are both mixed.
Some of these
family names have to be white french. I Have never met a Montas, Bisono, Bido,Deschamps, Bonetti, Paulino who was not white

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
And what about all those haitians who "spanidominicanized" their last names...ereasing all sign of the french name.

and what about those haitians with traditional spanish last names from the start of the colony.

This is just a list of dominican last names of french origin.

Good thing we don't have to worry about such things on the Haitian side.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
NS,

Well you would be wrong as Gil is as Spanish as it gets http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...x4HwDg&usg=AFQjCNHgbD_Bg1DPDZKZXMaURP4xR9b1oA

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I will be very surprised if both sides of my family do not have haitian blood. my father and mother are both mixed.
Some of these
family names have to be white french. I Have never met a Montas, Bisono, Bido,Deschamps, Bonetti, Paulino who was not white

I don't think there is such a thing as white french last names since the French passed on their last names in the west indies. That's why I was thinking it could go either way...

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Very good question Africaida but as in NS post above # 4. The Gilles' are from a campo in Santiago and are Euro looking so they can't be Haitianos. The mindset of the Dominiken is something beyond comprehension/mind boggling. Subete la camioneta ya. Tu si esta ligado con los haitiens. Tu parle creole..te espero a la frontiere mon ami.

If you knew more about this country other than the superficial yadah yadah spilled by the media from time to time you'd know that the Cibao is the most independed minded region of the entire Republic, even more when one gets to the central nucleus (Santiago-La Vega-Moca), so much that marrying with people from the other two regions was looked down upon, so let's not even talk about the westerners. The DR from 1844-1930 was so isolated among itself so much that the port cities from the respective regions had more relationships with cities from outside the island than within, as the correspondence between people from Puerto Plata and Santiago de Cuba can attest. The only roads that existed were the ones left by the Taino, which were totally inadequate for the development of internal commerce and moving. The task of improving things on that score would be undertaken by both the Americans and Trujillo in the XXth century.

I know that you're in venting mode, so I'll let your snide remarks slide, for now...

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
I don't think there is such a thing as white french last names since the French passed on their last names in the west indies. That's why I was thinking it could go either way...

No say it so..you mean Bonao too eres un piti privando dominiken... Gwozozo, the Dominicans are too lets say "stuck mentally" to realize full blown Haitians have Spanish last names too. Le nou di moun sa yon sotte papa se pas blague non. LOL...

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Some of these

Paulino really ? I have friends with that last name, they are light skin but definitely not white, nor could I ever mistake them for French.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
No say it so..you mean Bonao too eres un piti privando dominiken... Gwozozo, the Dominicans are too lets say "stuck mentally" to realize full blown Haitians have Spanish last names too. Le nou di moun sa yon sotte papa se pas blague non. LOL...

SO being piti is less than human?

Bonao99

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
If you knew more about this country other than the superficial yadah yadah spilled by the media from time to time you'd know that the Cibao is the most independed minded region of the entire Republic, even more when one gets to the central nucleus (Santiago-La Vega-Moca), so much that marrying with people from the other two regions was looked down upon, so let's not even talk about the westerners. The DR from 1844-1930 was so isolated among itself so much that the port cities from the respective regions had more relationships with cities from outside the island than within, as the correspondence between people from Puerto Plata and Santiago de Cuba can attest. The only roads that existed were the ones left by the Taino, which were totally inadequate for the development of internal commerce and moving. The task of improving things on that score would be undertaken by both the Americans and Trujillo in the XXth century.

I know that you're in venting mode, so I'll let your snide remarks slide, for now...

Bon Dieu NS,

You are going great lengths to prove you can't have Haitian lineage. It's funny as the Cibaenas love Haitian guys especially from Santiago, La Vega and Moca. I guess this came about in the latter part of the century. Mire en el espejo , que es lo que ves NS? This sentence from the TC is going to be heart breaking for some Dominikens.

Last edited: