Dominican Republic to Build Country's First Coal- Fired Plants

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The country's first coal-fired plants

Dominican Republic to build two 770MW, coal-fired plants for US$2.04B

Santo Domingo.- The group formed by Odebrecht, Tecnimont S.p.A and Estrella won the call for tenders to build two coal-fired plants, Dominican Republic?s State-owned Electric Utility (CDEEE) announced Monday.

The group will build two coal-fired plants of 384.9 megawatts each for US$1.94 billion, while a port for their support will cost US$95.0 million.

In a statement the CEO of the CDEEE, Ruben Jimenez Bichara, said that according to the evaluation and consultations, the winning bidders scored 97.19 over 100, in the call for tenders began by the Utility on May 13.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/image/article/18/209x400/0/3347E3E6-87C9-4F60-89E2-6EA87AC08B06.jpeg

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...-build-two-770MW-coal-fired-plants-for-US204B

May 12, 2005
1 coal fired plant really isn't going to impact air quality. 50 yes. Also pollution control technology is pretty advanced as compared to the plants built n the 50s - 70s.

Aug 6, 2006
Is there coal in the DR? Surely they are not going to ship it in. Gas would be better than coal if they have to bring a fuel from elsewhere.

Aug 6, 2006
Is there coal in the DR? Surely they are not going to ship it in. Gas would be better than coal if they have to bring a fuel from elsewhere. I would think that there was an adequate amount of sugar cane bagasse to run a plant on.

In parts of Barahona, electricity is between 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM, and occasionally after 9:00 PM daily. There is plenty of wind to blow the smoke away. The Ingenio spews a lot of smoke, but it does not seem to pollute much.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The fact is we in the US will use less and less coal. However we have abundant supply. Therefore we are happy to sell it outside the US to whoever needs it.

I would think coal fired plants could be placed where the prevailing winds would blow it far away from the DR. The greenhouse gases still flow but at this point in the DR's history more energy at the best price is preferable to the current situation.

May 29, 2006
They would have to import the coal. A large ship can carry 13,000 tons(maybe less, coal is light) and can offload with conveyor belts or blowers to train cars which then empties at the power station by gravity. I grew up by a railroad and we'd watch the coal trains come up a couple days a week. Also got a tour of the power station when I was in High School. They grind up the charcoal and blow it in and it burns as an aerosolized dust cloud. It will prob be close to the ocean since cooling the vapor and recycling the water is typical of the systems. I'd be more concerned about warming the water near where it's located more than emissions.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Another great step in a backwards direction by our ultra modern electric suppliers.

If it were not so silly it would almost be funny.

Bob K

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
They would have to import the coal. A large ship can carry 13,000 tons(maybe less, coal is light) and can offload with conveyor belts or blowers to train cars which then empties at the power station by gravity. I grew up by a railroad and we'd watch the coal trains come up a couple days a week. Also got a tour of the power station when I was in High School. They grind up the charcoal and blow it in and it burns as an aerosolized dust cloud. It will prob be close to the ocean since cooling the vapor and recycling the water is typical of the systems. I'd be more concerned about warming the water near where it's located more than emissions.

Why would they have to import coal.......There was a thread a while back that stated they had discovered coal on the island. Up by Dajabon if I recall correctly.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why would they have to import coal.......There was a thread a while back that stated they had discovered coal on the island. Up by Dajabon if I recall correctly.

Even if they have to import coal Colombia has massive reserves, and the American coal will be available cheap with all the EPA shutdowns coming there.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Danilo says working to solve electrical problems in three years

Leaving work inaugurated coal plants, says middle class have had enough hike rates

SANTO DOMINGO-President Danilo Medina left opened the work of the construction of two coal plants in Punta Catalina, Bani, who used to act say that the middle class Dominican Republic, especially living in the central polygon, not endure an increase over the tariff. As such, Medina said his government takes steps toward that in three years, it is that will the construction of the plants, blackouts are the past. The investment in lifting the two generators will be 1, 945 million and produce 769 megawatts. Chief State lamented that over 60 percent of the debt is for payment of energy, which indicated that "the Dominican Republic will not spare the money to make the investments required electricity networks to reduce technical losses and also improve energy theft occurring at all levels of society " Investment in coal plants reduce nearly 200 million electric subsidy the government spends each year, which is estimated at 1,500 million, the president stated "In particular, I am convinced that this investment by the Dominican government is on track to the ultimate solution to the problem electric, "he said. Likewise, criticized generators and said that since joining the government sought to renegotiate the debt of the slope with them government and they refused to negotiate. also spoke of the need for the government to be part of power generation albeit temporarily. The activity also spoke Vice President of the Corporation of State Electrical Companies (CDEEE), Ruben Bichara said that investment in this center will ensure the provision of efficient power for more than 25 years and create 7,500 direct jobs and 20,000 indirect for the Catalina community and the country.

Danilo asegura que trabaja para solucionar problemas el?ctricos en tres a?os - DiarioLibre.com

May 12, 2005
Danilo says working to solve electrical problems in three years

Leaving work inaugurated coal plants, says middle class have had enough hike rates

SANTO DOMINGO-President Danilo Medina left opened the work of the construction of two coal plants in Punta Catalina, Bani, who used to act say that the middle class Dominican Republic, especially living in the central polygon, not endure an increase over the tariff. As such, Medina said his government takes steps toward that in three years, it is that will the construction of the plants, blackouts are the past. The investment in lifting the two generators will be 1, 945 million and produce 769 megawatts. Chief State lamented that over 60 percent of the debt is for payment of energy, which indicated that "the Dominican Republic will not spare the money to make the investments required electricity networks to reduce technical losses and also improve energy theft occurring at all levels of society " Investment in coal plants reduce nearly 200 million electric subsidy the government spends each year, which is estimated at 1,500 million, the president stated "In particular, I am convinced that this investment by the Dominican government is on track to the ultimate solution to the problem electric, "he said. Likewise, criticized generators and said that since joining the government sought to renegotiate the debt of the slope with them government and they refused to negotiate. also spoke of the need for the government to be part of power generation albeit temporarily. The activity also spoke Vice President of the Corporation of State Electrical Companies (CDEEE), Ruben Bichara said that investment in this center will ensure the provision of efficient power for more than 25 years and create 7,500 direct jobs and 20,000 indirect for the Catalina community and the country.

Danilo asegura que trabaja para solucionar problemas el?ctricos en tres a?os - DiarioLibre.com

That has to be one of the worst translations of a news article from Spanish to English. Please tell me that you copied and pasted this from somewhere else.

Aug 6, 2006
Yes, I know that there is always smoke, and therefore always a smokestack. I was commenting on the diagram that Duke Energy produced, which has none.

There is a "precipitator" which removes particles emanating from the firebox part of the boiler. "Poof!" they are removed. What is a smokestack in not labeled, and nothing is shown coming out of it.

The "Wow! I know I am impressed." was meant to be taken as a sarcastic remark. I would think that gas would be a better choice to coal in the long run. There is a LOT of gas,and much of it is simply flared off anyway.

The alternative to building any plant is to build none, which means that there will be hundreds of backup gasoline and Diesel generators used every time there is a blackout. I would not be surprised to hear that this alternative might pollute even more than a modern plant of any sort.

Daily blackouts suck. They prevent people from being productive.

And yes, that is a horrible translation. I suspect that it is from some online translating program.

Last edited: