Dominican Republic to Build Country's First Coal- Fired Plants

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
That has to be one of the worst translations of a news article from Spanish to English. Please tell me that you copied and pasted this from somewhere else.

Of course it's copied and pasted. You don't think that I actually translated this, do you?

I'm not being paid for translating.:classic:

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
If they can coordinate that with metering the whole nation energy would be cheaper and more reliable. I strongly support coal and natural gas.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Here's a better translation from Dominican Today:

Santo Domingo.- President Danilo Medina on Sunday said his Administration doesn?t stop any of the works it starts until concluded, and vowed to inaugurate the Cibao-South highway ready for traffic before the end of his term.

Medina spoke in San Juan de la Maguana (west) after the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the first of two coal-fired plants near Bani (south), where he affirmed that he works continuously to solve the electricity problem, because the country cannot continue subsidizing it.

In San Juan, the president cut the ribbons on more than a dozen works including the San Juan Shopping and Cultural Plaza and the refurbished Regional Diabetes and Nutrition Institute, at a cost of more than RD$1.5 billion.

Medina said the Cibao-South highway will be built with funds obtained with the system of trust. "We have managed to get Congress to approve a law of trust which we have created through the Reservas bank, and then we'll place all of Dominican Republic road tolls in a sort of trust to get funding for build roads to build in the country, and San Juan-Santiago will be calling for tenders for the road in January."

He said the Cibao-South highway will be divided into six simultaneous work sections so that builders can finish it before his term ends on August 16, 2016.

Coal plants

The Punta Catalina Power Central is the unofficial name of the plants, with two, 385 megawatt coal-fired plants each, which will cost US$1.9 billion. ?The country's middle class cannot withstand one more electric bill jump,? Medina said.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec.../Dominican-Republic-starts-US19B-power-plants

May 12, 2005
Here's a better translation from Dominican Today:

Santo Domingo.- President Danilo Medina on Sunday said his Administration doesn’t stop any of the works it starts until concluded, and vowed to inaugurate the Cibao-South highway ready for traffic before the end of his term.

Medina spoke in San Juan de la Maguana (west) after the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the first of two coal-fired plants near Bani (south), where he affirmed that he works continuously to solve the electricity problem, because the country cannot continue subsidizing it.

In San Juan, the president cut the ribbons on more than a dozen works including the San Juan Shopping and Cultural Plaza and the refurbished Regional Diabetes and Nutrition Institute, at a cost of more than RD$1.5 billion.

Medina said the Cibao-South highway will be built with funds obtained with the system of trust. "We have managed to get Congress to approve a law of trust which we have created through the Reservas bank, and then we'll place all of Dominican Republic road tolls in a sort of trust to get funding for build roads to build in the country, and San Juan-Santiago will be calling for tenders for the road in January."

He said the Cibao-South highway will be divided into six simultaneous work sections so that builders can finish it before his term ends on August 16, 2016.

Coal plants

The Punta Catalina Power Central is the unofficial name of the plants, with two, 385 megawatt coal-fired plants each, which will cost US$1.9 billion. “The country's middle class cannot withstand one more electric bill jump,” Medina said.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec.../Dominican-Republic-starts-US19B-power-plants

That is a much better translation. Although DT often has bad translating too.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Why would they have to import coal.......There was a thread a while back that stated they had discovered coal on the island. Up by Dajabon if I recall correctly.

i puerto plata, allegedly. we talked about it here: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/138155-carbon-found-puerto-plata-province.html

in the last post in that thread i said:

i did a quick search for unijika and came up with nothing apart from articles in dominican press. have we been fooled?

so i am calling bullcrap on the "discovery".

more on the subject, i am quite used to coal powered plants, that's what i know from home. lately bełchat?w power station (fourth largest fossil fuel power station in the world) has made the news last month when two radioactive sources of cobalt 60 were stolen. the sources were inside protective lead capsules, 200 kg each, which is probably what attracted the thieves. so far they have not been found. now imagine this happens in DR. pure fun.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
ok, understood

Yes, I know that there is always smoke, and therefore always a smokestack. I was commenting on the diagram that Duke Energy produced, which has none.

There is a "precipitator" which removes particles emanating from the firebox part of the boiler. "Poof!" they are removed. What is a smokestack in not labeled, and nothing is shown coming out of it.

The "Wow! I know I am impressed." was meant to be taken as a sarcastic remark. I would think that gas would be a better choice to coal in the long run. There is a LOT of gas,and much of it is simply flared off anyway.

The alternative to building any plant is to build none, which means that there will be hundreds of backup gasoline and Diesel generators used every time there is a blackout. I would not be surprised to hear that this alternative might pollute even more than a modern plant of any sort.

Daily blackouts suck. They prevent people from being productive.

And yes, that is a horrible translation. I suspect that it is from some online translating program.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
This plant is being built less than 4 kilometers from my house. And I grew up in Kentucky, which means that I have only known coal-fired electricity generation.

So, here's my two-pesos worth:

Coal-fired electricity is the cheapest electricity to produce with the technology of today.

Colombia will be able to supply lots of coal. So, we will have better electricity service in the country once these plants are online.

NOW, let's get down to the real issues:

In the United States, coal-fired plant emissions are closely watched and scrubbers are mandatory on all smokestacks.
In China, such regulations do not exist and you're better off breathing the exhaust from a bus than the air in some cities.
In the Dominican Republic, scrubbers will be installed but not maintained and certainly not replaced when they need to be, and though initially there will be no smoke, gradually the pollution will increase.

The immediate area will not be affected, because there is always a breeze coming in off the ocean. Even with failing scrubbers, there will not be much smoke as is seen in China. However, as pollution increases, Barahona and San Juan Maguana will see damage to plants and trees, flora and fauna, and agricultural production. Watch for acid-rain caused spots on coffee in the mountains and plantains and bananas on the southern coast, with diminishing returns. And all those native plants that are found no where else except Hispaniola should be photographed now, because there will be extinctions. It could take as long as 25 years for the effects to show up, and by then, no one will be able to determine cause and effect. We live for the moment here, you know.

If the government were REALLY serious about solving the energy problem, it could be solved within three months. Simply publish the names of all persons and companies who are three months or more behind on their electricity bills. The biggest problem is that the companies do not collect enough money to pay the suppliers, so the suppliers make sure there are "shortages" on a regular basis. The people who are not paying their bills are some of the biggest users and are well-connected politically and financially. Once they get embarrassed and have the inevitable press conference to say why they are the subject of a smear campaign and they are going to sue everyone involved, they will quietly pay off their bills so that their names do not appear on the past-due list.

But since that isn't about to happen, we'll run up a debt for the next generation to pay while they are also trying to reverse the damage.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Coal-fired plants’ pollution can be checked: Dominican official

Santo Domingo.- As concerns over air pollution will likely spread from the coal-fired plants whose groundbreaking was headed by president Danilo Medina at Peravia Province on Sunday, the Environment Ministry said its impact on surrounding areas will be reduced to a minimum.

Environment minister Bautista Rojas on Monday said his agency went ahead and drafter the environmental plan which should be implemented.

Construction on the coal-fired plants began in Punta Catalina yesterday at a cost of US$1.95 billion, to generate 769.8 megawatts with which the Government expects to save more than 500 million dollars per year.

Rojas said the project includes a bulk port to offload the coal, a 345KV substation, a rockash deposit and all the facilities required to mitigate its environmental impact.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...s-pollution-can-be-checked-Dominican-official

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR does NOT have an electric generating problem, it has a "Political Problem"!!!!!!!
The capacity is already in place.
The "Problems" are, the long term "Sweet Heart" contracts the "Politicos" made with the generators to get huge "Kick Backs".
The generators are paid, even when they don't produce electricity!
Only about 50% of the electricity generated is paid for by the consumers.
The government, at any one time, owes aprox.one BILLION US Dollars to the generators.
The first Political Party who forces EVERYONE to pay for what they consume, will dissappear from the DR's political landscape!
The real REASON for the new coal fired plants is to get the "Payoffs" to the politicians who sign the contracts, NOT for their energy production!
When, and IF, they are built, the first thing the DR will do is, remove the "Pollution Control Equipment, assuming it even gets installed!
I've seen dozens of "New Expenditures" here, all promise to "FIX" the "Electric Problems"!!!!!
"So FAR, SooooooooooooooooooooBAD"!!!!!!!
I know I do "MY PART" to pay!!!!
AND, the "PARTS" of about 10 Dominicans who pay "NADA"!
"Same $HIT", different day!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

popvisitor.

Nov 14, 2013
The DR does NOT have an electric generating problem, it has a "Political Problem"!!!!!!!
The capacity is already in place.
The "Problems" are, the long term "Sweet Heart" contracts the "Politicos" made with the generators to get huge "Kick Backs".
The generators are paid, even when they don't produce electricity!
Only about 50% of the electricity generated is paid for by the consumers.
The government, at any one time, owes aprox.one BILLION US Dollars to the generators.
The first Political Party who forces EVERYONE to pay for what they consume, will dissappear from the DR's political landscape!
The real REASON for the new coal fired plants is to get the "Payoffs" to the politicians who sign the contracts, NOT for their energy production!
When, and IF, they are built, the first thing the DR will do is, remove the "Pollution Control Equipment, assuming it even gets installed!
I've seen dozens of "New Expenditures" here, all promise to "FIX" the "Electric Problems"!!!!!
"So FAR, SooooooooooooooooooooBAD"!!!!!!!
I know I do "MY PART" to pay!!!!
AND, the "PARTS" of about 10 Dominicans who pay "NADA"!
"Same $HIT", different day!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

When you say Govt. owes "aprox.one BILLION US Dollars to the generators" is that from use by Govt' facilities or Govt' subsidized electricity?

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Dominican Republic ?clean? coal-fired plants to recoup US$1.95B cost in 4 years

Santo Domingo.- The two coal-fired plants which Dominican Republic?s State-Owned Electric Utility (CDEEE) builds in southern Peravia Province will cost US$1.95 billion, with a return on investment at around four years.

Ruben Jimenez Bichara, CEO of the CDEEE made the announcement Friday at a luncheon with economic journalists at the Hotel Jaragua, where he said the cost of the two power plants being built at Punta Catalina, Ban? will produce 384.9 MW each, burning ?clean, pulverized coal.?

He said the plants are expected to save as much as US $500 million per year, while the savings will result from energy distributed more efficiently, and will lead reduce the marginal price on the spot market.

Jimenez said electricity from coal and natural gas cost the least, while the highest energy is from fuel oil, or around 55% of what the Utility buys.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...n-coal-fired-plantsto-recoup-US195B-cost-in-4

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
U.S. offers natural gas to Dominican Republic ‘with no red tape’

Santo Domingo.- U.S. ambassador James W. Brewster flew to Washington, D.C., Monday together with a Dominican delegation on the area of energy, to meet with senior State Department officials.

U.S. Embassy newly appointed chief of staff Patrick Dunn, who currently works in the State Department’s Bureau of Energy Resources, will also take part in the meetings, slated for August 11 to 12, as follow-up to vice president Biden's trip to the Dominican Republic.

The meetings between Washington and Santo Domingo officials will focus on cooperation to promote greater energy security in the Dominican Republic, through a diversified grid and by implementing ways to the transform the sector.

In a statement, the U.S. Embassy said the U.S. Government reaffirms its commitment to work in close collaboration with the Dominican pars to support and develop solutions that transform the electricity sector. "Vice president Joe Biden during his visit to the Dominican Republic last June, announced the launch of the Caribbean initiative’s energy security.

"This initiative consists of a set of activities designed to provide various technical options that promote the transformation of the electricity sector of the Caribbean, recognizing that there’s no "one size fits all solution for the Caribbean countries," it said.

It adds that the Dominican Republic can evaluate the possibility to avail themselves of an expeditious, less bureaucratic process to import natural gas from the U.S, as a member of the CAFTA-DR free trade agreement.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...al-gas-to-Dominican-Republic-with-no-red-tape