?Hola! New Neighbours

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hi everybody. I am a Canadian from Ontario. I retired a couple of years ago. My wife retires this summer. She has always wanted to flee the frozen north for somewhere warm and pleasant. Now my dear wife is dragging me kicking and screaming to the north coast of the DR.

I know I am not going to like the sunshine and ocean breezes. I can't stand the thought of cheaper beer, palm leaves all over the place, year round gardening and fruit trees in my yard. I won't enjoy having to look up to ensure I don't get wacked on the head by a falling coconut and the lack of North American fast food restaurants. I am going to miss shoveling snow and dealing with uptight people scurrying from one shipping adventure to the next at the likes of Walmart, Target and Zellers. This is going to be horrible! :)

We have considered and researched retiring in Panama, Belize and the DR over the past five years. While we travel to the DR 3 or 4 times a year I personally did not really want to relocate to an island. Up until about a year ago, we were pretty sure that we would be heading to Belize. The cost of living, English speaking country and all that. Well, the political situation in Belize seems to be on downswing and violent crime on the upswing. Panama is just too far and too hot. So the DR it is.

We are coming down in August to find a place to live and expect to move in Sept. or early Oct. We have the immigration situation under control. We have a general idea of where we want to locate to, at least initially and have a real estate agent on the hunt.

Years ago all this didn't seem so real and there was no reason to panic. Now each tick of the clock actually brings home the reality of it all. Not many days left before all that is familiar and comfortable is tossed to the winds. I've moved many times in my life thus far. The actual move is not that big of a deal. Standing in my driveway and wondering where the grocery store is or where my favorite cantina can be found will be rather disconcerting.

Oh well, it's nothing that copious amounts of alcohol and new friends won't cure.

Cheers!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Welcome aboard - and listen to Harleysrock. RENT, don't buy, until you're absolutely sure DR is for you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Welcome to dr1.
Please rent in the area you may want to live in first for at least 6 months. You will quickly find out the DR is not cheap and it is not even close to the same living here as it is vacationing.

Good luck!

sage advice, as usual...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You're right. We intend to rent for at least a year probably longer. I have no great desire to get locked into property that I might have difficulty selling at a later date. It might be fun move every year or so to a different area. I am sure there are great people and cantinas everywhere. :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi everybody. I am a Canadian from Ontario. I retired a couple of years ago. My wife retires this summer. She has always wanted to flee the frozen north for somewhere warm and pleasant. Now my dear wife is dragging me kicking and screaming to the north coast of the DR.

I know I am not going to like the sunshine and ocean breezes. I can't stand the thought of cheaper beer, palm leaves all over the place, year round gardening and fruit trees in my yard. I won't enjoy having to look up to ensure I don't get wacked on the head by a falling coconut and the lack of North American fast food restaurants. I am going to miss shoveling snow and dealing with uptight people scurrying from one shipping adventure to the next at the likes of Walmart, Target and Zellers. This is going to be horrible! :)

We have considered and researched retiring in Panama, Belize and the DR over the past five years. While we travel to the DR 3 or 4 times a year I personally did not really want to relocate to an island. Up until about a year ago, we were pretty sure that we would be heading to Belize. The cost of living, English speaking country and all that. Well, the political situation in Belize seems to be on downswing and violent crime on the upswing. Panama is just too far and too hot. So the DR it is.

We are coming down in August to find a place to live and expect to move in Sept. or early Oct. We have the immigration situation under control. We have a general idea of where we want to locate to, at least initially and have a real estate agent on the hunt.

Years ago all this didn't seem so real and there was no reason to panic. Now each tick of the clock actually brings home the reality of it all. Not many days left before all that is familiar and comfortable is tossed to the winds. I've moved many times in my life thus far. The actual move is not that big of a deal. Standing in my driveway and wondering where the grocery store is or where my favorite cantina can be found will be rather disconcerting.

Oh well, it's nothing that copious amounts of alcohol and new friends won't cure.

Cheers!

So what are you looking for in a home and location? The DR is an island but it's a big one. This Canuck just returned from two weeks in Canada and the warmest weather we had was 21 in Kamloops for a couple of days, most days were single digits or close. Snowing in Thunder Bay when we landed there last Friday. I was really glad to get back and I was made to feel like I was missed by the school staff, neighbours, and many the kids.
At my place in Jarabacoa Fridge wasn't working, power was fluctuating, fan misbehaving, internet slower than molasses, and no water. One phone call and Moreno, the electrician showed up the next morning, on a Sunday. He checked out the inverter, and wiring, metered a few plugs and pronounced that the issue was the power coming in. A quick examination revealed that the neutral wire had been disconnected (by the power company when hooking up the upstairs tenant.) Neutral hooked up and fridge now worked, along with the water pump. All was well in paradise- cost- 300 pesos.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Welcome. Post your questions to get answers. I am familiar with the Cabarete area and we also have a place in Jarabacoa (not my personal favorite location).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So what are you looking for in a home and location?

We're pretty flexible with location. Somewhere between Cabarete & Cofresi. Sousa is not #1 area on the list. Looking for a furnished 3 bedroom villa with a yard and a pool. Within bicycle riding / walking distance to a local grocery store & entertainment. Major shopping trips once a month within 30 minute drive or so.

Might entertain a 3 bedroom condo based on available amenities.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You are coming with the right attitude!
That's a "Good Start"!
"Cheap" it Ain't!!!!!!!
What's your proposed budget to rent that "Villa"??????
Monthly expenses limit??????
Will you get a vehicle???
Amount you can spend for that??????
Let us know, we'll tell you if it's doable here on your budget.
It is usually TWICE what you THINK it will cost!
Better to know THAT in advance.
Welcome to "PARADISE"!!!!!!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Criss,

If I absolutely had to have "cheap", I'd move to Bangladesh. I know about housing costs and a little bit about utility costs. I don't know much about food costs though. We're not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but we have enough pesos to do ok. When we get there for good in Sept, I'll get my driver's license and probably purchase some 2nd hand vehicle. I don't expect to be doing a whole lot of daily driving so we don't need a Cadillac. A small pickup or van would probably do. Depending on where we end up I might entertain the notion of getting a scooter for quick trips around neighbourhood when I don't feel like biking or walking.

In all honesty, we don't need much. We are coming down to sit on our butts for the first 6 to 8 months, to soak up some sun, and decompress. Then we'll start to travel further afield and get to the parts of the country we haven't seen before. I expect Santo Domingo will be a frequent destination. As I said earlier, we've been to the DR many times before. If the culture shock gets to be too much, I'll just check into Lifestyles for a week and get a massage...

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Welcome to the DR. If you can don't negotiate yourself. If you have a trusted local that can wheel and deal for you, the prices most times will be better. No matter where you are from or the tone color of your skin, we are all dollar bill green $$ and prices are adjusted special just for You/us... Rent and the local grown items are cheaper if you go the full conversion route and go native. You better love bean, rice, plantons and chicken if that's the case. If not import goods, fuel and such are higher. You can find a nice balance, but hey you are looking into other countries to retire so concessions will have to made in any location other then your home country. Hope you decide to stay

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You must first become a resident before that driver's license.
"No Scooter For YOU"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go "North Shore", don't worry about coming to SD that much!
Buy "Harley's Beach House" up there, she wants to move to SD!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Thx for the info Tim.

We are definitely coming to the north coast of the DR. We don't expect it to be exactly like home and I have been feeding my wife rice & beans for a while now. It will take a little bit more work before she embraces seafood though. :)

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I like the idea of retiring here and switching locations. Rent for two-four years in Puerto Plata, four years in Samana, four years in Punta Cana, four years in La Romana, four years in Santo Domingo. That gives enough time to leisurely see all the attractions and really enjoy them in each place.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Criss,

We should have our cedulas by the end of Sept. We're coming down under the "retirement program" that I believe has been rolled into the "investor program" so the hurdles we have to jump through aren't quite so high and don't take quite so long. Anyways, I am sure the plan will have to be thrown out the window shortly after touch down. As long as there is lots of beer, I can cope.

My comment about coming to SD frequently was purely for the procedural requirements of renewing residency, certifying my cdn drivers license at the cdn embassy etc. I'm trying to work it so that those trips are as few and far between as possible.

CabVacVilla

Oct 15, 2010
Criss,

We should have our cedulas by the end of Sept. We're coming down under the "retirement program" that I believe has been rolled into the "investor program" so the hurdles we have to jump through aren't quite so high and don't take quite so long. Anyways, I am sure the plan will have to be thrown out the window shortly after touch down. As long as there is lots of beer, I can cope.

My comment about coming to SD frequently was purely for the procedural requirements of renewing residency, certifying my cdn drivers license at the cdn embassy etc. I'm trying to work it so that those trips are as few and far between as possible.

Hello and Welcome! Came here in '05, have experienced the pitfalls(and probably more to come),...but,...as you say, decompress, soak up the sun, and,...the beer(usually good and cold!), and I'm a Gringo(USA) too, but went to university in Montreal, and learned to appreciate a good, cold "Export A" there, but if I (and probably like many others here)thought it not "worth it" to stay here in Paradise-I would be gone, but this island can get a "hold" on you, and some learn to love it( though we can jump on a plane to the mainland in a second), I own in Cabarete and also in Luperon(up and coming & a little quieter),...glad that I did!,..and also want to see many other areas of this "Paradiso", it's a big pebble in the pond!-lots to explore! and yes, a cold one in the "afternoon" can put a smile on one's face...lookin' out to the ocean, but before you get too cozy,...make sure the "rejas" are on the windows and doors, and ask the price before you pay for anything(like others say here,... also-get a Dominican "buddy" to help negotiate(he'll still get his slice of the transaction)-but you will probably pay less than, the 100% Gringo "tax",...AND, if you don't already-learn some spanish! Enjoy!!!

Criss,

When did you apply for your residency? It is about an 11 month waiting period to get your cedula and residency now.

What do you mean about certifying your Cdn Drivers license? I have never heard of that before. You are allowed to drive legally for 3 months on your Cdn Drivers License.