?Hola! New Neighbours

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...and my reply was completely in jest. I cannot believe that you did not pick up on that.

"Living in paradise" seems to have affected some on this forum unfavourably. As evidenced here and in the translator needed thread where everyone jumped all over the OP at the drop of a peso. I am the new guy here, so please excuse me for being so forthright - some of you need to lighten up.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Well it was a joke, so now you can buy me that cerveza I refused in the in the previous post, as penance. (That was another joke) :)

(What follows is not directed at any specific person, it's just a generalized observation)

Don't get me wrong, I've been in many a flame war so I know how easy it is for things to get out of hand. I'm really new on DR1. In some of the posts I have read recently the level of mean spirited self-absorbed hubris is truly surprising. I expect that type of behaviour here at home where trolling is a legitimate occupation for those on welfare but i did not expect to find it so prevalent on DR1. Maybe because I am so new, the personality traits stand out more. I was hoping to find a really well adjusted helpful community of expats doing their best to offer a helping hand to newcomers. For some it seems this forum has turned into a place to lay in wait, ambushing newbies and veterans alike for the smallest of foibles; nitpicking at the faintest hint hyperbole.

It makes me wonder: When I arrive, If I have to be wary of the motives of the locals, and I have to do the same for the volatile expats, why the hell am I bringing my family to live in the DR.

Last edited:
How could you insult me like this?!!

No i am joking! You do have to be vary wary of the motives of the locals but you will find some good ones! All of the expats I have met on dr1 are awesome even if we don't agree all the time on this website.
There are some shady expats as well that have had tough times and are desperate for money but you will pick that up who they are pretty fast I am sure.
I do find both locals and expats are VERY helpful here when you need help, I just get stressed when new people come with rose coloured glasses like I did bc people will take you for many rides if you are too nice!!

So if I seem harsh at times I just really don't want people to make the same mistakes that I did!

You will be fine and it sounds like you will love it here!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Gringo"maybe you SHOULDN'T!!!!!!!!!!
Your "Skin" is very thin for a Canuk!
Insulting other posters you may not agree with, in their content,OR style, is not a good way to make new friends.
DR1 "Is What It Is", no one is forced to post,or read posts here.
It's better to just shake your head in private,at the posts/posters you find not to your personal liking, than to insult them.
The DR is not for people who spend a lot of time disagreeing with "Things" you don't like, there will be "Too Many"!
After reading posts here on DR1 for over a decade, I have seen many new posters with a negative attitude, disappear into "Cyber Space" after a very short time span.
Pay close attention to "Harley'sROCK", he has done a "360" in many of his opinions about the DR,from "BEFORE" he and his wife moved here from the "Frozen North", until NOW, after REALITY set in!
HE, THEY, now "GET IT"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC