New Resturant Coming to Santo Domingo

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Heads up, I was told one of my friend who is a franchise owner for several Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse here, he overheard that the corporate is going to try to open two restaurants in DR within 6-8 months.

Will you approve Olive Garden & Longhorn Steakhouse coming to DR? What are your thoughtso? Do you support more american owned business or you want more locally owned business?

gas

Jul 28, 2013
The day Olive Garden opens up in the DR is the day I start looking at Jupiter to relocate.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
they are Dominican owned franchises of American businesses .. i think that they are pretty much a failure here because they come out way to expensive with the tax etc.. Chili's at $99 for 2? ok. maybe Outback is worth that. I like Wendy's .. but hardly ever go to the franchises. Quizo's here is just awful... expensive and awful. Now NAthans on the other hand in great. .. fabulous. worth every peso. I don't know why.

ok tried IHOP twice because it used to be a goto place for b; fast.
But the whole point was that it was a bargin. Here it is expensive and the service was lousy. In States the service was great.

I loved Tony Roma's but the one near me closed. Never cheap but good value.

The only thing to be said for the chains is the on the whole the rest rooms are very clean and there is both soap and tp. ..

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
maybe Outback is worth that.
Outback Steakhouse in Santo Domingo is a disaster... I tried to order ribeye steak 6 or 7 times, I ask for medium, they bring it almost rare or well, even if it's really medium, the meat is wrong weird color.... the black bread is imported from US frozen and microovened here. It's like a lottery, you have 30% chance that they bring you good steak and 70% that they bring you sh1t.

I've been a hundred times in Outback in US, and never had a problem. But in DR..... :ermm:

daniela618

Apr 22, 2014
i had the quiznos there and it was ok, different, but ok. I think that would be interesting to see a Olive Garden or Longhorn Steakhouse.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Heads up, I was told one of my friend who is a franchise owner for several Olive Garden and Longhorn Steakhouse here, he overheard that the corporate is going to try to open two restaurants in DR within 6-8 months.

Will you approve Olive Garden & Longhorn Steakhouse coming to DR? What are your thoughtso? Do you support more american owned business or you want more locally owned business?

As an Italian American someone once asked me if I was offended that Hollywood often portrais Italian Americans as mobsters. I said no, I am offended that Olive Garden calls themselves an Italian Restaurant. With all the great Italian food here why would anyone want to eat that garbage?

As for American owned businesses opening here I am all for any business opening up here that provides more jobopportunities to local Dominicans.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
There is so many good restaurant, why would you go to those places?

Outback is not good whatever you are in DR or the states!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never had a problem with Outback in the US. I am forewarned about any business in the DR. Few are really equal to the normal quality of the franchise.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009

I usually go to Outback in US during my road trips. You know, when you drive 500 miles in a day for 3 weeks or more, you don't want to waste time for finding any good place to eat, especially if you are in the middle of nowhere. But it's easy to find the nearest Outback in the GPS unit and go there for a dinner, then continue the trip.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The only good dish in the Outback is the dessert Cinnamon Oblivion, not sure of spelling. As for the meat, I can do better buying an Angus steak from Nacional.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Outback Steakhouse in Santo Domingo is a disaster... I tried to order ribeye steak 6 or 7 times, I ask for medium, they bring it almost rare or well, even if it's really medium, the meat is wrong weird color.... the black bread is imported from US frozen and microovened here. It's like a lottery, you have 30% chance that they bring you good steak and 70% that they bring you sh1t.

I've been a hundred times in Outback in US, and never had a problem. But in DR..... :ermm:

Honestly! 100 times? You should try eating real food.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Honestly! 100 times? You should try eating real food.
More than 100 times and in 41 States. A couple of times the steak was overcooked a little bit, but that happened in Miami, of course, because latinos f@ck up everything, including the ribeye. But generally the meat is always the same in Outback, in Georgia or Alaska. But not in DR, unfortunately.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I always had a great meal at Outback. It was always perfect in the States. But frankly, without the Blooming Onion.. a decadent treat, I can do without it. Went once here.. thought the steak was just OK. And right, now that imported steak is coming in, even to the local little La Cadena, I would rather buy a little rib eye for 300 pesos and cook it myself.

I really loathe the Olive Garden and have only been there when I had to take a friend's kids. And that is really what it is for. for families with kids. I will be surprised if they make it here with their policies of "all you can eat" and stuff.. or they probably will not have that and it will end up being bad, high priced pasta.

Quiznos, I only liked because the one around Asheville had a buffet. But really, I guess they cannot do fixed price buffets here . Except at 1000 pesos or more perhaps. There is a new Applebee's which is almost finished and I will try that because, well, every thing is worth a try. But I will never go back to TGIF because of the DECIBILE level. Nor to Chili;s because of the prices. Nor to Outback because it was just not that good... Nor to IHOP because of really bad service. Johnny Rockets? Well, I love the juke box,, and they pride themselves, I think, in having NOTHING whatsoever, on the menu which is in the least bit healthy.. and I think that there is something in that.

Same could be said for McM and BGK but Wendy's always had good salads and chili and baked potatoes and stuff.

Taco Bell must use local meat because, really, their tacos are just horrible. horrible.
I would love to see SUBWAYs come in here. I used to Love Subways.

But for all of them.. the 18% is a killer.. it just makes them way over priced for what they are. which is cheap to middle of the road food.

SD is WAY too expensive for eating out. And the selection is HORRIBLE. I think that the government should offer GREECE some special visas and get some good Greek diners in here.. Ditto to the THAIs..

I mean, every Village in the STates has a Thai resto now. SD? Capital? 3 Million? not a chance. Indian? One, really expensive, or make a reservation for four and sit on the floor. Japanese? Only Sushi bars which, in my opinion, is Japan's way of saying that they do not have enough fish to serve. I mean the PRICE? and what you get? Puleese..

So far, i am still stuck at Jade Expresso.. which is cheap Chinese. Ok Chinese junk food but I love the sesame chicken. Seems that every food court in every mall is the same

with the exception of Agora.. which has Nathans. Which always wins out.

I have two friends that I play spot the Nathan's with.. Hey we saw them in Bravo last week and scored 4 packs.. Hey I saw them at Nacional! I got you one! the elusive Nathans Franks.. sorta like Where's Waldo.. and Skippy Chunky Peanut Butter.

Feb 7, 2007
Just returned from Colombia (will be posting some comparison report later on) but I find dining out in Medellin much cheaper than in Santo Domingo, at least for mid-level restaurants (and quick bite fast food street type is much more expensive in Colombia than in the DR in general). First thing is that in Colombia they include all taxes in the prices, and suggest 10% tip which is not obligatory. The waiters even ask you if they should include the tip and they usually round it down (I was charged an 8% tip instead of 10% in order to round down to a nice number).

I do not know for SD Chili's whether they include taxes, here is the DR Chilis menu I could not find anything about taxes. http://chilis.com.do/wp-content/files_mf/menu_chilisesppag622.pdf
EDIT: I think the above listed menu is for USA restaurant and not for the DR, because it lists 1-800 number.

The (U.S.) prices are roughly the same as Chili's in Colombia Chili's Colombia and I know for sure that in Colombia they come taxes included.

MA, do you know if taxes in DR Chili's Menu are included or not and what are the DR prices comparing to the U.S. prices?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I don't think that they include the taxes on the prices. Most of menus don't. We ordered the baby back ribs. the full order. We took home half. And desserts.. one each.. they were huge and we could not finish them and should have ordered half. I think the ribs came with fries. Not veggies or a salad. that would have been extra and the salads here are really awful.. just iceberg and green tomatoes and oil and vinegar and ,, except at Cappucinos, never worth the price,, We only had water to drink.

and coffee.

$99 bucks. Swear to goddess!