New Resturant Coming to Santo Domingo

Feb 7, 2007
wow... pricy! yikes!

I am checking Chili's Colombia, full rack of ribs is US$19, 2 deserts at average price US$7.25 each, coffee at average price US$2.10, so the total --- US$35.60 with taxes, include now 10% tip so the total is less than 40 dollars.

Compare to 99 bucks ... dining out in SD is quite pricey!

I think I will keep flying to Medellin to eat out :) The ticket price will pay for itself in one week eating in Restaurants there ...

Last edited:

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I onced ate at Chilis in Blue Mall with my fiance and 4 other friends, total bill is almost $300, yes in USD. I felt that $300 is too much and I can get same menu what I ate in USA for half of price.

Seems everything in DR is overpriced!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I think the problem is you guys eat out in mid class/overpriced restaurant while you could eat in some of the best restaurants for the same price!

Why go eat at chilis or outback, cheap chainfood restaurant when for the same price you can go eat at Mitre, Victoria's, Ribereno etc.

I find that eating out in Restaurants here for me is wayyyyy cheaper then back home in Canada. You just have to find the good spots and your gonna love it.

For greek/meditereean food you can go try Ribereno's mountainannie, its not 100% greek but its one of my favourite. Standard price, classy restaurant with amazing service. For two with starters and 1-2 drinks gonna be around 2500-3000 pesos with tax/tip and you are gonna get a way better atmosphere/service then eating out at chili's!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Oh and also, didnt know there was an Indian restaurant in DR.

WHERE! And whats the name? Thanks! :)

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
I think the problem is you guys eat out in mid class/overpriced restaurant while you could eat in some of the best restaurants for the same price!

Why go eat at chilis or outback, cheap chainfood restaurant when for the same price you can go eat at Mitre, Victoria's, Ribereno etc.

I find that eating out in Restaurants here for me is wayyyyy cheaper then back home in Canada. You just have to find the good spots and your gonna love it.

For greek/meditereean food you can go try Ribereno's mountainannie, its not 100% greek but its one of my favourite. Standard price, classy restaurant with amazing service. For two with starters and 1-2 drinks gonna be around 2500-3000 pesos with tax/tip and you are gonna get a way better atmosphere/service then eating out at chili's!!!

The problem is: I know there are many resturants in Pinitini and they are way too much money than Chilis and I dont know them yet, But I should try just for once. I m gonna try Johnny Rocket to see if its better than in the states.

What DR needs is more resturants not fast food and more nightclubs and shopping centers and stores whatever you name it, so tourists can enjoy coming here. It would be nice if CVS and Walgreens opens up here so the Americans can have advantage to use it for RX. But I know it wont happen, DR is too scared for this!

Feb 7, 2007
It's called AMBICION. Even in Higuey a restaurantucho (not a comedor that already has prepared/cooked food in bulk estilo Hermanos Villar) but a shanty restaurant where you order meal and than wait for 45 minutes for your meal with bad service, is extremely overpriced as well. And that is Higuey. Now talk about Santo Domingo! I have yet to see a decent-price restaurant in the DR so far. I am really surprised at that (compared to Colombia), because I find:
- wages in DR slightly lower
- electricity about the same
- rent about the same
- food prices slightly cheaper in DR
- taxes (on restaurant food) 8% in CO and 18% in DR
at this point the end product fixed and marginal cost should be about the same

so why on frikkin earth is dining out so expensive in the DR?!

Even Papa John's is 15% more expensive in DR than in CO for the same pizza!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
The problem is: I know there are many resturants in Pinitini and they are way too much money than Chilis and I dont know them yet, But I should try just for once. I m gonna try Johnny Rocket to see if its better than in the states.

What DR needs is more resturants not fast food and more nightclubs and shopping centers and stores whatever you name it, so tourists can enjoy coming here. It would be nice if CVS and Walgreens opens up here so the Americans can have advantage to use it for RX. But I know it wont happen, DR is too scared for this!

Whatever you eat at Chili's is gonna be close to the same price then eating out in one of the restaurant in Piantini.

Usually the drinks are really expensive but for food, the prices are really good imo.

Depends what you are looking for...

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
It's called AMBICION. Even in Higuey a restaurantucho (not a comedor that already has prepared/cooked food in bulk estilo Hermanos Villar) but a shanty restaurant where you order meal and than wait for 45 minutes for your meal with bad service, is extremely overpriced as well. And that is Higuey. Now talk about Santo Domingo! I have yet to see a decent-price restaurant in the DR so far. I am really surprised at that (compared to Colombia), because I find:
- wages in DR slightly lower
- electricity about the same
- rent about the same
- food prices slightly cheaper in DR
- taxes (on restaurant food) 8% in CO and 18% in DR
at this point the end product fixed and marginal cost should be about the same

so why on frikkin earth is dining out so expensive in the DR?!

Even Papa John's is 15% more expensive in DR than in CO for the same pizza!

I cant compare Colombia vs DR but i think taxes are a killer here.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Whatever you eat at Chili's is gonna ne the same price then eating out in one of the restaurant in Piantini.

Usually the drinks are really expensive but for food, the prices are really good imo.

Depends what you are looking for...

I find one cool thing about Chili's, you can get unlimited soda/juices for only $400 pesos while most resturant charges you EACH drink.

I also remember Pizza Hut in El Conde offer unlimited soda and a big pizza for $995 pesos. It's a good deal tho.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
You can even add up the numbers in theyre calculator and get and idea how much its gonna cost u! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
One of the worst chain restaurants I tried in SD is Fuddruckers. I went their after going to the cinema with our children and a friend of our oldest son. We actually were planning to go to a place like Outback, but since Fuddruckers was right there we end up there. So they serve you a mediocre hamburger, which you have to finish yourself, like if you are in some gas station and have the nerve to charge you like if you are dining in Sofia's Bistro and Grill?!

That was once and never again.

Besides, if you are ordering food in a FAST FOOD place as Fuddruckers obviously is, I expect the prices on the illuminated signs behind the counter to be tax included. They are not, and they also charge the 10%, which fast food places like McD, BK and Wendy's don't. When you think you buy a hamburger for 350 pesos, you end up paying almost 500. More than a forest burger of Chef Pepper.

On the high prices in DR. I think it's all due to short term thinking. Everybody who starts a business seems to think: how can I get rich fast, not: how can I establish a well running business, make nice money and charge reasonable prices (there are exceptions, like La Locanda, where I am amazed each time again of the good quality and the very reasonable prices).

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
TOTALLY agree with you!

Subway charge the 10% too, pure scam.

I agree with Locanda, cheap and good. I dont think theyre food is anything special but for the price, unbeatable!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2007
I cant compare Colombia vs DR but i think taxes are a killer here.

Don't think so ... same restaurant chain ... in CO the food is cheaper AFTER taxes than in DR menu price before taxes. in CO they list the final price (I always asked in order to not have surprises later), while in the DR they list the base price. So I do not think it's the taxes. Taxes difference is only 10% CO/DR but price difference is sometimes 2:1.

Feb 7, 2007
So you can compare prices:

www.menu.com.do
Domicilios -*Pide Comida a Domicilio Online | PedidosYa (final price listed) ... FYI calculate 1 DOP = 45 COP
Select Medellin or Bogota.

Also, in a small tourist town Zipaquira (near Bogota) ... a small Argentinean-style restaurant, huge ham and champinones calzone US$5.5, and a personal pizza Argentina-style (4 large slices) US$3.5 final price.

A very popular tourist town Guatape near Medellin, and a very popular restaurant in a prime waterfront location, Bandeja Paisa with huge and I mean huge portion US$6 final price.

I do not think there is an argument left to oppose DR is expensive for eating out in anything than a Chinese shop.

Last edited: