Pepper Spray

DR North Coast Crime Stoppers has given the wife and I Pepper Spray at cost to sell to people on the NC.

They are 250 pesos per unit. This is non profit.

They are small so you can conceal it in your hand while walking or easily put it in your pocket etc...

If you are interested PM me.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
To the posters that have had their posts deleted, this thread is not about machetes or guns etc.... Keep it up, get deleted, your call.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
That's a great price! A few months ago my friend bought a small one at $900 in Santo Domingo.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i like pepper sprays... but you have to remember to have it with you , ready and know how to use it.......they also should have a date on them...it is not that they loose strength its that they loose spraying power...
i had one incident w/ a street thug....i told him to get out of here or he gonna loose....i meant it i had the pepper with me ready to use.... he looked at me and picked up and left.....

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
Not so good! Hornet and wasp spray is so much better.10 to 15 foot range!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
On the topic of self defence - If there any ex-cops or people on here who know self defence - can someone do a class in Sosua so that those who would like to learn (me included could attend).

I would even be willing to offer up my location off hours for a couple of hours in the first couple of weeks of November if someone here would be willing to teach it. Anyone on here in Sosua and can teach self defence and would do it? Also - not sure as well if there is someone in Cab who could teach a class and even another business owner out that way with space to do one in Cab as well.

If I got attacked I don't know what I would do or how I would react :S

On the topic of self defence - If there any ex-cops or people on here who know self defence - can someone do a class in Sosua so that those who would like to learn (me included could attend).

I would even be willing to offer up my location off hours for a couple of hours in the first couple of weeks of November if someone here would be willing to teach it. Anyone on here in Sosua and can teach self defence and would do it? Also - not sure as well if there is someone in Cab who could teach a class and even another business owner out that way with space to do one in Cab as well.

If I got attacked I don't know what I would do or how I would react :S

There is someone offering self defense classes for cheapish. Check on DR NC Crime Stoppers. I think his name is Moe or something. I am not sure of the price but I will look into it.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
good idea....and anyone could pay 10$ per class....let the instructor make a buck that day.... the crane...

May 5, 2007
Not so good! Hornet and wasp spray is so much better.10 to 15 foot range!

URBAN LEGEND

Gotta love that myth of wasp spry being more effective than pepper spray Pepper spray contains capsaicin which closes airays and irritates eyes severely to obscure vision, wasp spray does not

always the "well a Police Officer recommended" but read the label, it is illegal to use wasp spray for any purpose other than intended. do you really think any Police Officer would be advising women to use it illegally?

Buy the pepper spray, why would you need to spray someone 20 feet away?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
my favorite is bear spray. If it stops a grizzley I have confidence. Its not having to spray someone at fifteen feet iths having the capability to do so. Many of the bad guys in the DR carry a knife. Better to not be close. Those little spray cannisters worry me. Would not want to run out of juice when he is really mad.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
URBAN LEGEND

Gotta love that myth of wasp spry being more effective than pepper spray Pepper spray contains capsaicin which closes airays and irritates eyes severely to obscure vision, wasp spray does not

always the "well a Police Officer recommended" but read the label, it is illegal to use wasp spray for any purpose other than intended. do you really think any Police Officer would be advising women to use it illegally?

Buy the pepper spray, why would you need to spray someone 20 feet away?
Many personal defense experts suggest wasp spray BECAUSE of the long reach...like across a room. Seems certain that getting some in the eyes is sure to stop an evildoer in his tracks. I have attended such classes with numerous instructors because we had an obligation to give our homecare nurses & other personnel basic defense tools.

The problem with pepper spray is one has to be fairly close to use it. Not so with wasp spray.

One does not preclude the use of the other.

We issued pepper spray for their protection going from patient's home-to-home when an attack would be at close range. Wasp spray is a suggestion for their personal home defense if they didn't have a gun.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have had the opportunity to test the pepper spray ( well it was not a spray but a gel one, less possibility of the wind disrupting the stuff.....) on a tiguere ( long story ).
It stopped him dead in his tracks. He thought he was dying, couldnt breathe. Had to water him down with a hose. He couldnt see anything for 20 mn ( but he kept rubbing his eyes which makes it even worse.).
Just keep in mind that a single presseure on the cannister DOES NOT suffice. Give him half of the can. I sprayed him first from a distance ( say 30/50cm ), than doubled up inches from his face, eyes, nose, mouth.

Since then I have bought another cannister here ( national santiago on la 27 ). It is a french make. aerosol de defence gaz and underneath a french flag.
2 things I dont like. First it is a gaz and is less concentraded than the ones I brought over.
Secondly the bottom of the cannister is "bubbling", seems dr temperatures are too high for the cannister. ( so ure kind of weary carrying it in ure pocket, less it blows up and sprays the family jewels with pepper gas :nervous:).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Let's think about this for a minute.

Wasp Spray: intended to kill wasps
Pepper Spray/Mace/Bear Spray: Intended to discourage aggression and incapacitate humans

Spray someone in face with wasp spray potentially introducing toxins into the eyes, mouth and mucous membranes of a human being, against the express instructions printed on the can. That's call assault at best, murder, negligent homicide or manslaughter at worst if you poison the person and they die.

With pepper spray, mace, bear spray at worst it could be construed as assault. It is unlikely that you will poison someone or inflict lasting harm so you only have to demonstrate self defense if charged. If you intentionally poison someone regardless of the circumstances you face serious legal problems.

As always, it's charge the gringo and let the courts figure it out. Use the minimum justifiable force to curtail the threat or you become the aggressor, not the victim.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Let's think about this for a minute.

Wasp Spray: intended to kill wasps
Pepper Spray/Mace/Bear Spray: Intended to discourage aggression and incapacitate humans

Spray someone in face with wasp spray potentially introducing toxins into the eyes, mouth and mucous membranes of a human being, against the express instructions printed on the can. That's call assault at best, murder, negligent homicide or manslaughter at worst if you poison the person and they die.

With pepper spray, mace, bear spray at worst it could be construed as assault. It is unlikely that you will poison someone or inflict lasting harm so you only have to demonstrate self defense if charged. If you intentionally poison someone regardless of the circumstances you face serious legal problems.

As always, it's charge the gringo and let the courts figure it out. Use the minimum justifiable force to curtail the threat or you become the aggressor, not the victim.
It would be a rare day, especially in the DR, when defending yourself from an attack or crime led to charges on the defender.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Many personal defense experts suggest wasp spray BECAUSE of the long reach...like across a room. Seems certain that getting some in the eyes is sure to stop an evildoer in his tracks. I have attended such classes with numerous instructors because we had an obligation to give our homecare nurses & other personnel basic defense tools.

The problem with pepper spray is one has to be fairly close to use it. Not so with wasp spray.

One does not preclude the use of the other.

We issued pepper spray for their protection going from patient's home-to-home when an attack would be at close range. Wasp spray is a suggestion for their personal home defense if they didn't have a gun.

Here is a good one about wasp spray vs pepper spray: Why You Should Not Use Wasp Spray for Self-Defense
It explaines pretty well why wasp spray may not stop the attacker and why it is illegal.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Well let's see what happens the first time someone gets blasted with wasp spray and ends up in hospital for being poisoned.

The justice system here can be corrupt and effectual at times but the legal framework is pretty sound and specific. As foreigners we always have to remember, we are the target of criminals and sometimes the very system we rely on to protect us. It would be prudent not to give either party reason to take notice of us. The use of Pepper spray is defensible, toxic insecticide might be an entirely different matter.

Besides, sprays are intended to give you enough time to get away, they are not intended to necessarily totally incapacitate someone for long periods of time.