Pepper Spray

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Are we worried about the civil rights of a criminal in the DR? Following a thwarted attack anyone with sense is going to go. You wait around for the police? Make sure your attacker is ok? Empty the canniser and leave. If you are going to rely on the spray I would buy two or three cans and practice a bit. Might be difficult to find a friend willing to be a test dummy, especially after the first spray. Watch out for a head wind as it will blow the spray right back on you. Most people only spray into the wind one time. Has anyone ever used the spray in an enclosed space?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Most pepper spray canisters release a stream of liquid that is fairly easy to target and not susceptible to blow back in slight breezes. If you have a canister that releases an aerosol of tiny droplets, that wouldn't be very good or effective.

Inside a room? Someone has to clean up the excess... The liquid is viscous and clings to skin, clothing, walls, and anything it comes in contact with. There should be enough pressure even in small canisters to deliver a steady stream on target 8 to 12 feet away. The duration of the stream is determined by canister size and should be delivered all in one go.

Remember to shake up your spray every few weeks to keep the contents mixed.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mmmmmmhhhh........ poisoned by wasp spray.......... what about lead poisoning from the slug I blew through his torso??:devious:

This is the dominican republic man !!

Imagine u use leathal force on an intruder in ure house
Either the legal system smells $$$$$$ and the possibility to pry some out of u. They will get to u by any means ( and wont need poisoning by wasp spray as an excuse.).
Either they recognise self defense and thats that. No miami experts coming to defend the dead guy.....

A couple of days ago a oldish guy nearby caught a young tiguere from the nearby village stealing cacao. Note that in the campo it is a common practice ( raiding viveros, avocados, mangos, lemons........ u name it ).
Confronted the guy, tigre pulled out a knife/machete, old guy shot him through the heart with a speargun.
Of course cacao owners version, family of dead guy claim he was a good boy, blabla....... everyone knew he was a ladron.
Think there is going to be a trial and stuff ??

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well let's see what happens the first time someone gets blasted with wasp spray and ends up in hospital for being poisoned.

The justice system here can be corrupt and effectual at times but the legal framework is pretty sound and specific. As foreigners we always have to remember, we are the target of criminals and sometimes the very system we rely on to protect us. It would be prudent not to give either party reason to take notice of us. The use of Pepper spray is defensible, toxic insecticide might be an entirely different matter.

Besides, sprays are intended to give you enough time to get away, they are not intended to necessarily totally incapacitate someone for long periods of time.
I am not at all worried about using something "illegal" to defend myself & family over an "illegal" assault in my home.

It goes back to the "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Are we worried about the civil rights of a criminal in the DR? Following a thwarted attack anyone with sense is going to go. You wait around for the police? Make sure your attacker is ok? Empty the canniser and leave. If you are going to rely on the spray I would buy two or three cans and practice a bit. Might be difficult to find a friend willing to be a test dummy, especially after the first spray. Watch out for a head wind as it will blow the spray right back on you. Most people only spray into the wind one time. Has anyone ever used the spray in an enclosed space?
I use wasp spray all the time. It can reach a nest in a second story eave with pinpoint accuracy. As a thick, steady stream blowback is minimal.

Besides, unless I break it, there isn't much wind indoors.

I don't suggest using pepper spray upwind, either.

Aug 6, 2006
No one in their right mind would volunteer to get sprayed by pepper spray a second time.
It is in many ways more unpleasant than being kicked in the nuts.

I am all for using wasp spray on wasps. Wasps are nasty critters and would gladly spray you with human spray if they had any.
They need to be taught to stay out of our underhangs, soffits and eaves and limit themselves to living in the woods.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I am not at all worried about using something "illegal" to defend myself & family over an "illegal" assault in my home.

It goes back to the "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6."
It is not the legal issues which are to be worried about but rather the possible ineffectiveness...

May 5, 2007
I'm a bit perplexed as to why anyone would advocate using wasp spray as opposed to pepper spray for self defense

Pepper works by immediately closing the throat (Capsaicin) causing the attacker to drop and gasp for breath, incapacitating him/her Pepper also causes closure of eyes and irritation of all mucous membranes (yup, have been sprayed in training and it works fast and effectively)

wasp spray is illegal to use for any "off label" so saying that any Law enforcement, self defense "expert" advises it's use is suspect

BTW, pepper usualy comes in a form of "gel" that produces a concentrated stream that will not easily be affected by wind There is a reason law enforcement uses pepper as opposed to wasp spray

Buy a small can of pepper, spray some on a wall and take a whiff, you will not be harmed but you will quickly understand why it literally drops bears in their tracks No air no attacker

I'm sure wasp spray directly in the eyes may **** someone off, may have long term effects but it's ability to deter an imminent attack I question

snopes.com: Wasp Spray

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Why not just get and use a flare gun......burns at 2900F and will light up the intruder quite nicely......and its not classed as a firearm....so no license needed.....

My thoughts not yours.......

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Just the usual cautious and awareness works for me. My home defense weapon in an old Callaway 9 iron, never had to use it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many personal defense experts suggest wasp spray BECAUSE of the long reach...like across a room. Seems certain that getting some in the eyes is sure to stop an evildoer in his tracks. I have attended such classes with numerous instructors because we had an obligation to give our homecare nurses & other personnel basic defense tools.

The problem with pepper spray is one has to be fairly close to use it. Not so with wasp spray.

One does not preclude the use of the other.

We issued pepper spray for their protection going from patient's home-to-home when an attack would be at close range. Wasp spray is a suggestion for their personal home defense if they didn't have a gun.

we had a big thread on this way back when

also, a spear gun is a handy thing under the bedside table

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well let's see what happens the first time someone gets blasted with wasp spray and ends up in hospital for being poisoned.

The justice system here can be corrupt and effectual at times but the legal framework is pretty sound and specific. As foreigners we always have to remember, we are the target of criminals and sometimes the very system we rely on to protect us. It would be prudent not to give either party reason to take notice of us. The use of Pepper spray is defensible, toxic insecticide might be an entirely different matter.

Besides, sprays are intended to give you enough time to get away, they are not intended to necessarily totally incapacitate someone for long periods of time.

Justice System

we had a problem in Cabrera a few years back... intruder type thing

the police shot him - dead

if he had been blinded by wasp spray, their job might have been easier

Not to worry about how you repel an intruder

remeind me later about the child molester found ina field with his nuts in his mouth
a passerby heard the moaning

otherwise he would have died for blood loss

thumbs or down on that one ??

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Are we worried about the civil rights of a criminal in the DR?

No, but you should be worried about being locked up while investigations are carried out, which would happen if you did not report it to the police, emptied out a conister on him, and allowed him to go to the police first. If you're not familiar with how it works in DR, it is a first come has the upper hand.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I'm not convinced with the wasp spray thing. I have got it in my face before while trying to get rid of a nest and although it was on my face, it did not enter my eye and so had no effect on my sight. It tasted nasty, but if that is the aim then I am happy to distribute samples of the MIL's cooking.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Why not just get and use a flare gun......burns at 2900F and will light up the intruder quite nicely......and its not classed as a firearm....so no license needed.....

My thoughts not yours.......

Anybody knows where to buy in the area Cabarete/Sosua/Puerto Plata?
And where to buy flashlight "sure fire"?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm not convinced with the wasp spray thing. I have got it in my face before while trying to get rid of a nest and although it was on my face, it did not enter my eye and so had no effect on my sight. It tasted nasty, but if that is the aim then I am happy to distribute samples of the MIL's cooking.
I doubt a full stream was aimed at your face for several seconds.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I doubt a full stream was aimed at your face for several seconds.

I doubt an intruder would stand infront of a full stream for several seconds. Unless the unlikely had happened that I had concreted his feet into the ground, strapped a back brace to him and tied his hands behind his back and then decided to spray him. When police use these pepper sprays they usually get a few people and themselves to some extent, there is a reason for that. If you need to get the stream into the eyes to be effective then this would not be effective. I can put my head down, hands up and get to go before you can dance around trying to hit my eyes.

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
It is not the legal issues which are to be worried about but rather the possible ineffectiveness...

Also, I think it would be easier for an attacker to relieve a person of a large spray can other than somerhing that is easily concealed In your hand.