Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad accidents!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad accidents!!

I have stated loudly several times that I ain't seen no bad accidents in this country, but last night I didn't actually see it, but was awakened at right at midnight with a loud crash, my sleep sodden brain decided it was a tin roof falling, don't know why, so I tried to go back to sleep, but soon heard voices in the street and looked out the window and there was a car sitting in the street and a motorcycle on its side. Milady got dressed and went down to the street. The police came in about 20 minutes and took the motorcycle kid to the hospital. It is reported to us that the car that hit the bike kept on going, and the one I saw sitting there was someone who stopped to call the police. The news this AM from the neighbors is that it was a 22 year old daddy with a 3 year year old daughter. So Der Fish won't be saying no more that he hain't seen no bad accidents in this country. Today there is a puddle of dried blood in the mud beside the street where the bike was last night

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I have stated loudly several times that I ain't seen no bad accidents in this country, but last night I didn't actually see it, but was awakened at right at midnight with a loud crash, my sleep sodden brain decided it was a tin roof falling, don't know why, so I tried to go back to sleep, but soon heard voices in the street and looked out the window and there was a car sitting in the street and a motorcycle on its side. Milady got dressed and went down to the street. The police came in about 20 minutes and took the motorcycle kid to the hospital. It is reported to us that the car that hit the bike kept on going, and the one I saw sitting there was someone who stopped to call the police. The news this AM from the neighbors is that it was a 22 year old daddy with a 3 year year old daughter. So Der Fish won't be saying no more that he hain't seen no bad accidents in this country. Today there is a puddle of dried blood in the mud beside the street where the bike was last night
    If the guy who stopped to report the accident was a gringo he would be in jail now.

3. Likes jd426, Garyexpat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In 8 years I have seen about 15 serious injury accidents. I hope most people have your luck and see very few. There not pretty

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.elnuevodiario.com.do/app/...aspx?id=491162

You go to jail if you are the cause of a bad accident resulting serious injury or death from now on states Dominguez Brito.

Don't drink and drive and make sure your vehicle is in good order and your license and insurance is good are issues mentioned. Visitors perhaps should take careful note of the driving limitations using a foreign license and the effect on insurance should one be involved in such and accident.

Looks like the recent bad accident near Sanchez has touched a raw nerve, and so it should have but far too late. But when is the education and proper driving training going to begin to compliment this policy???

I think AMET along with MOPC are really trying to get their act together on the roads and the additional numbers of AMET agents recently mentioned should help the effort. I have always found AMET agents more professional........much more so than the PN in their military dress.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The single greatest factor in contributing to accidents is the poor driving ability and poor technique of the Dominican drivers. Putting bad drivers in jail would have more drivers in jail than on the road.

7. Likes irishpaddy, Squat, beeza liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    The single greatest factor in contributing to accidents is the poor driving ability and poor technique of the Dominican drivers. Putting bad drivers in jail would have more drivers in jail than on the road.
    According to stats from the Health Ministry, 80% of moto accidents happen at night, and of those 80% are alcohol related. The Ministry is of the opinion the problem rests more with the motorcyclists than with the cage drivers.

I can clearly state that there is a movement within the gubmint to mitigate motorcycle accidents through an educational process. This process is a 10-year plan.

Think Ladybird Johnson's "Beautify America" but for motorcyclists.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    According to stats from the Health Ministry, 80% of moto accidents happen at night, and of those 80% are alcohol related. The Ministry is of the opinion the problem rests more with the motorcyclists than with the cage drivers.

I can clearly state that there is a movement within the gubmint to mitigate motorcycle accidents through an educational process. This process is a 10-year plan.

Think Ladybird Johnson's "Beautify America" but for motorcyclists.
    I suspect it will take more like 100 years.

There was talk at one time of completely banning motoconchos. Is that also being discussed? That way 64% of the accidents could be eliminated in one week. ( I know, not every accident is by a drunk moto concho driver with passengers at night.)

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I suspect it will take more like 100 years.

There was talk at one time of completely banning motoconchos. Is that also being discussed? That way 64% of the accidents could be eliminated in one week. ( I know, not every accident is by a drunk moto concho driver with passengers at night.)
    In 100 years, the skies will be flooded with hoverconchos...

Motorcycles aren't going away. Like cell phones did for communications, motorcycles have made Dominicans geographically mobile and have created economic growth. The problem is the bureaucracies weren't able to proactively predict or implement policies that coincide with the growth of motorcycles. This should come as no surprise.

It will be far easier educating motorcyclists than breaking any of the transportation unions, including motoconchos. There will be a combination of education, carrots and very large sticks involved.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lived here since 2007 and have seen a number of very bad accidents. Maybe due to the fact I have driven the entire country many times and for 2 years drove from the capital to las salinas before the freeway was completed.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In four years I seen at least a dozen. Sh*t happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast