U.S. Ambassador allegedly stops newspaper from entering official event in retaliation

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Below is a rough (mostly google's) partial translation of THIS article.

============================
The Embassy of the United States "punishes" Diario Libre over photography
Journalists were denied entry "on instructions from Ambassador"

SD. In an unprecedented move, the US Embassy refused entry to Diario Libre reporters who came to the residence of the Ambassador for a social activity with Dominican major league baseball players.

In the words of the press officer of the legation, Jeremy Knight, " I am sorry, but right now Diario Libre is not invited to cover the event, that is the word of the ambassador." "You know I'm doing my job, I have to do as my boss indicates, and he tells me that I can not let you in. He toll me before the event began that Diario Libre was not invited. "

The activity, launching a program called "baseball is with you" to support efforts in favor of education, inclusion and combating domestic violence, was held at the residence of the Ambassador at Leopoldo Navarro street.

Diario Libre learned from colleagues of the activity, and sent a team of reporters to cover it. No one in the media was informed of the impediment.

Diario Libre team arrived at the embassy about 7:25 pm, and an officer with the guest list in his hands indicated that Diario Libre was not on the guest list.

Reporters asked to speak to someone with the embassy communication office, and only after much prodding, the entry officer put them in contact with Jeremiah Knight, who is the press officer at the embassy, ​​and who reported that on instructions from the US Ambassador, Diario Libre was not invited to the event.

Mr. Knight said the embassy had spoken with "owner" of the newspaper to inform the decision.

Diario Libre director, Adriano Miguel Tejada, regretted the decision of the Embassy, ​​which is "discriminatory, intolerant and in violation of constitutional principles in the United States and the Dominican Republic, including freedom of the press and free access to media sources of information. "

"The only explanation that I find for the attitude of the Ambassador is that it is in retaliation for Diario Libre's publishing of a picture uploaded to Facebook by the Ambassador's husband, that shows a group of men posing at the pool of the Embassy celebrating Gay Pride month, "said Tejada.

No other Dominican newspaper published the photograph. This apparently caused an unpleasant reaction.

During the meeting, the big leaguers David Ortiz, Nelson Cruz, Fernando Rodney and Ubaldo Jimenez were present.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
his house, his rules. still, i am not sure who's a bigger princess here, the ambassador for being offended or DL for bursting into tears. mean girls, DR edition.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
what a B... move. the ambassador is going to stop such a big newspaper from reporting Dominican stuff? I guess the ambassador has grown accustomed to doing things the Dominican way.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
what a B... move. the ambassador is going to stop such a big newspaper from reporting Dominican stuff? I guess the ambassador has grown accustomed to doing things the Dominican way.

That or he still has his panties in wad over the Facebook picture they published.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
his house, his rules. still, i am not sure who's a bigger princess here, the ambassador for being offended or DL for bursting into tears. mean girls, DR edition.

Not so simple. It was an OFFICIAL embassy activity, as opposed to a private party. It was also a news event, with several well-known athletes in attendance. Some DL's readers would want to know about it, and DL had a legitimate interest to report on it, as others did. If DL's competitors are invited and allowed to report on this event but DL isn't, DL is put at a disadvantage vs its competitors. That is a legitimate complaint. Most media outlets would view it the same way.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Just read the article with it's included photo, it speaks for itself . . .

Speaks what? They reported something that happened to them, which they (correctly) considered newsworthy. It isn't normal for an Embassy to single out a newspaper for discriminatory treatment vs its competitors. The photo was actually made public by the Ambassador's husband in Facebook, a few months ago, and they initially reported on it. They included it in this article because it is their believe that their publication of the Facebook photo eventually led to these events.

Any other evidence of "yellow journalism" by DL?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
HIS house, HIS rules. cry me a river. YAWN.

You seem not to understand media access concerns to PUBLIC newsworthy EVENTS, and competitive concerns.

May I point out again that it was a UNITED STATES sponsored event, as opposed to a personal activity. That the organizers chose the Ambassador's OFFICIAL residence for this does not make it a personal event. The Ambassador is acting as an employee of the US government, not in a private capacity.

Might as well link again the article: Obama’s patronage appointment to the Dominican Republic. Relevant again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you seem not to understand that the event took place in a PRIVATE RESIDENCE of the ambassador and he has a RIGHT TO CHOSE who he invites. now, do you still need a kleenex to wipe your tears or you can let go?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Could you provide additional detail? Should we just take your word for it?

Does a post at the OFFICIAL embassy Facebook page count?

“El B?isbol est? Contigo” (Baseball Cares), una alianza entre la Agencia de los Estados Unidos para el Desarrollo Internacional (USAID), las Grandes Ligas de B?isbol (MLB) y la Asociaci?n de Jugadores de B?isbol de las Grandes Ligas (MLBPA).

You probably understand at least USAID, right?

Any questions?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
you seem not to understand that the event took place in a PRIVATE RESIDENCE of the ambassador and he has a RIGHT TO CHOSE who he invites. now, do you still need a kleenex to wipe your tears or you can let go?

I don't believe the residence of the Ambassador is his private property, but part of his pay packet as ambassador and as such as much a part of the embassy as any other building there