Planning a trip in May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Hello everyone. Ive been planning my first weekend trip to Santo Domingo for this coming may but I'm having a hard time on deciding where to stay and what to do. I was thinking about zona colonial. I will not have a car unless other things work out which I will explain later in the post. I'm flying out of Orlando,Florida to Santo Domingo. What I would like to do is fly out Thursday evening and get there late at night but I'm not sure if that's safe. Second option is to fly out early Friday morning and get there by midday. The issue with this option is that I don't what to do to pass the time until I can check into my hotel. Now I have a penpal I've been knowing for about 12 years and she "said" she would like to spend time with me but I'm not sure about her. She does have money though and she does have a boyfriend but she does have a car and doesn't mind showing me around. Ive also been pipelining this other woman on Dominican Cupid who's from the West side of the country. So far she's willing to take the bus to Santo Domingo to meet me but always asking about "help(money)" for an issue she's having. So my questions are listed below....

1.So where's a good place to stay in Santo Domingo that's mid tier?

2.Why are a lot of these women quick to ask for cash?

3.is it ok to come to the Dominican republic at night?

4.what are some good taxi services?

5.things to do if I get there early?

6. if things fall through with those women where are some good places to talk to some that aren't hookers?

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
1. Go Zona Colonial...a lot of choice through portals and post #1 is worth checking out
2. Be selective and check out the field. Dominican Cupid is probably the safer bet to avoid the hookers and surprised you think you found one there from my distant past experience. Move on if opening line is that she needs financial help. That will always raise it's head and you need to bypass the topic, keep chatting and when it reappears take a positive line and name the conditions. Don't fall in love with a good looking uneducated country girl from poor background with kids, big family and especially over 30's and get rooked. See 6.
3. imo yes if you go straight to hotel.
4. The airport taxi service (yellow coats) SICHALA is Tourism Ministry authorized and has a dispatch desk just out side arrivals and you can ask for their fixed prices. Agreed price before getting in taxi but likely to be charged US30 to US35 to Zona Colonial Hotel ( I get charged US33/1500rd to the other end of the city but I always question). They squeeze foreigners for the extra dollars so always question the price. I use them all the time twice a month day and night and never a problem and most drivers speak English. Coming back you can use UBER at cheaper cost.
5. Check out Zona Colonial...plenty to see.
6. Find a university student......will still want help with studies......but they need short term fixes and may turn out to be a longer term solution.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am the Reservations Manager for Casa Sanchez Hotel in the Colonial Zone and will happily direct and advise you plus help you with taxi transfers with our associate company whenever your flight lands in the DR.

Please get in touch with me via private message on here or directly via our website: www.casasanchezhotel.com and I promise to give you a great deal! I look forward to hearing from you

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Many good hotels in the Colonial Zone. Not sure what your definition of mid tier is? Hotel Holdelpa Caribe is around $70 depending on when you book it. If you use Uber at home, it is here and is great and reliable. Conventional taxis are often in disrepair and severly overcharge American tourists. BEWARE of women with boyfriends. If you are looking for female companionship, you are going to pay.

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Casa Sanchez in the colonial zone is the only place I like to stay. Check it out.

AS much as it pains me to agree with Harleysrock, I have to this time as Casa Sanchez is a delightful boutique hotel with super friendly and helpful staff. I highly recommend it.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
1. Go Zona Colonial...a lot of choice through portals and post #1 is worth checking out
2. Be selective and check out the field. Dominican Cupid is probably the safer bet to avoid the hookers and surprised you think you found one there from my distant past experience. Move on if opening line is that she needs financial help. That will always raise it's head and you need to bypass the topic, keep chatting and when it reappears take a positive line and name the conditions. Don't fall in love with a good looking uneducated country girl from poor background with kids, big family and especially over 30's and get rooked. See 6.
3. imo yes if you go straight to hotel.
4. The airport taxi service (yellow coats) SICHALA is Tourism Ministry authorized and has a dispatch desk just out side arrivals and you can ask for their fixed prices. Agreed price before getting in taxi but likely to be charged US30 to US35 to Zona Colonial Hotel ( I get charged US33/1500rd to the other end of the city but I always question). They squeeze foreigners for the extra dollars so always question the price. I use them all the time twice a month day and night and never a problem and most drivers speak English. Coming back you can use UBER at cheaper cost.
5. Check out Zona Colonial...plenty to see.
6. Find a university student......will still want help with studies......but they need short term fixes and may turn out to be a longer term solution.

Lol. I like those answers. As for the country girl she's about to turn 26 and with one kid. She bought the money subject up but not until later. I did set a line though with her. Just wondering if that was normal with them or not. Guess I have a lot to learn about DR. I've been getting a lot of younger girls hit me up on Dominican Cupid. I'm 31 and usually they're like 24 on back usually. So what's up with women over 30 down there?

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Many good hotels in the Colonial Zone. Not sure what your definition of mid tier is? Hotel Holdelpa Caribe is around $70 depending on when you book it. If you use Uber at home, it is here and is great and reliable. Conventional taxis are often in disrepair and severly overcharge American tourists. BEWARE of women with boyfriends. If you are looking for female companionship, you are going to pay.

I like the $70 range Hector. I used to work for a hotel for 9.5 years and usually that price is fine. As for my penpal I feel the same way but she's always said we would only be friends. From what I've been reading she would be considered an "upperclass" type of woman and she's 34 with no kids.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Lol. I like those answers. As for the country girl she's about to turn 26 and with one kid. She bought the money subject up but not until later. I did set a line though with her. Just wondering if that was normal with them or not. Guess I have a lot to learn about DR. I've been getting a lot of younger girls hit me up on Dominican Cupid. I'm 31 and usually they're like 24 on back usually. So what's up with women over 30 down there?

There is another section for discussing chicas in DR1.....Men from Mars, Women from Venus so best you post your questions about chicas there and get your ten posts to PM and save the mods jumping in.

Stick with your Santo Domingo visit here. Why are you not thinking of a trip to the campo....the West side where your other friend is from. If it is the South West that is lovely country...real DR. Santo Domingo is nothing special for the tourist...a day or two at best.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
AS much as it pains me to agree with Harleysrock, I have to this time as Casa Sanchez is a delightful boutique hotel with super friendly and helpful staff. I highly recommend it.

I just saw the prices and they are to my liking!!

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
There is another section for discussing chicas in DR1.....Men from Mars, Women from Venus so best you post your questions about chicas there and get your ten posts to PM and save the mods jumping in.

Stick with your Santo Domingo visit here. Why are you not thinking of a trip to the campo....the West side where your other friend is from. If it is the South West that is lovely country...real DR. Santo Domingo is nothing special for the tourist...a day or two at best.

Well this will be my first time to the DR and she told me the same thing about the beauty. It's a town called Neiba. It's by a large lake from what I researched. Also I wasn't sure if I could make it out that way with no car and also not sure of hotels out there.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I am going to be 70 within a few weeks and i get the 20 year old ones telling me that they don't care about y age, it is just a number. I usually ask them if their mother is single.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Well this will be my first time to the DR and she told me the same thing about the beauty. It's a town called Neiba. It's by a large lake from what I researched. Also I wasn't sure if I could make it out that way with no car and also not sure of hotels out there.

Missed that....yours is a weekend trip. Too far to travel but just south of Barahona which is not that far from Neiba there are some nice small hotels in great settings.

If you hit it off think about that next time. Neiba is in a valley by a large sub sea level lake with crocodiles...but you won't want to see those coming from Florida lol.

Enjoy Zona Colonial and hope she is a decent Dominican Cupid!

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Missed that....yours is a weekend trip. Too far to travel but just south of Barahona which is not that far from Neiba there are some nice small hotels in great settings.

If you hit it off think about that next time. Neiba is in a valley by a large sub sea level lake with crocodiles...but you won't want to see those coming from Florida lol.

Enjoy Zona Colonial and hope she is a decent Dominican Cupid!

Nice!!! I will keep that in mind if we hit it off. Also yes I feel the same way about the crocs!!! Lol. Everyone on here has some valuable info. So glad I found this site!!

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Questions 1 through 6 made me snort fairly decent wine out of my nose in hilarity.
Damn!! Wasn't trying to do that. When some people come on forums they are not clear. Just trying to be as clear as possible. Lol.

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.