child support when abroad

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hola Im french, posting for a french friend who does not speak english
Here is the story. He lives half time in DR and France. He s got a dominican girl friend for 3 years. He sends her money when he is abroad.
When he got back here after 6 months, he met his GF and she said she got pregnant, did not tell him and presented him his child... After the shock he took DNA test and yes it is his child
He left to France after 2 months and his question is : can this girl catch him through some kind of legal dominican process when he is abroad? BTW he continues to send money though... :)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Here is the story. He lives half time in DR and France. He s got a dominican girl friend for 3 years. He sends her money when he is abroad.
When he got back here after 6 months, he met his GF and she said she got pregnant, did not tell him and presented him his child... After the shock he took DNA test and yes it is his child
He left to France after 2 months and his question is : can this girl catch him through some kind of legal dominican process when he is abroad? BTW he continues to send money though... :)

There are supposed to be ways for Dominican women to collect child support from
the Dominican men who live on the island but the women I have spoken with about
this issue tell me the Dominican government is not very effective when it comes to
the actual process of collection. A rich foreigner on the other hand will be expected
to pay hundreds, if not thousands of dollars simply because he is a rich foreigner
(even if he's really not rich at all) Good luck.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I guess she could always go to the French Embassy or Consulate Office if she
really wants him to pay. I'm an American and no nothing about French child
support collection for mothers/ bastard children abroad.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011

Good to see he's not a dead-beat dad avoiding paying for his child.

Why wouldn't he want to take responsibility for his own kid?

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Your friend should be advised, and would be wise, to keep a meticulous record of every cash or other expenditure he makes for his child.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011

He s sending money... At the same time, its not very nice from the woman to hide her pregnancy, dont you think?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You say he is sending money, and you are here asking about it. I'd say he shoud go on some site on the internet and ask how much is considered right. Or get a number from Guzman here.
Der Fish

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
He s sending money... At the same time, its not very nice from the woman to hide her pregnancy, dont you think?

Think about it from her point of view. If she told him she was pregnant while he was in France she probably reasoned that she would never hear from him again.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
You say he is sending money, and you are here asking about it. I'd say he shoud go on some site on the internet and ask how much is considered right. Or get a number from Guzman here.
Der Fish

he only speaks thats why he asked me to post

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
In many cases men where courts are involved in determining child support receive "impedidimiento de salida"
meaning they cannot leave the country while paying child support. I would recommend that your friend not return
unless he is willing to stay until the child is 18 years of age. Yes, child support demand can reach and can be enforced
across borders. Unless he lives in Somalia he may not be able to evade this responsibility.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
In many cases men where courts are involved in determining child support receive "impedidimiento de salida"
meaning they cannot leave the country while paying child support. I would recommend that your friend not return
unless he is willing to stay until the child is 18 years of age. Yes, child support demand can reach and can be enforced
across borders. Unless he lives in Somalia he may not be able to evade this responsibility.

That is why the daddy should be proactive in making the proper arrangements. I would think if he were to make his offer at maybe 50% over the going rate here it would still be half of what it would be in Europe or North America, and when he makes his offer it would have written in that he should be allowed to travel freely. It is like bonding out of jail convince the judge that he is not a flight risk and have it drawn up on his terms.
Der Fish

Jan 7, 2016
That is why the daddy should be proactive in making the proper arrangements. I would think if he were to make his offer at maybe 50% over the going rate here it would still be half of what it would be in Europe or North America, and when he makes his offer it would have written in that he should be allowed to travel freely. It is like bonding out of jail convince the judge that he is not a flight risk and have it drawn up on his terms.
Der Fish

He should "man-up" and accept his responsibility...he should contact a reliable attorney and set-up a plan for payment of child support to the mother until the child is 18 years old or no longer in school, if less than 18. Too many of the children conceived in this type of relationship become school drop-outs.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Absolutely. And he should put into a trust fund the value of the trip to DR in which the child was conceived. If e can afford to get on a plane and go halfway across the world he can damn well at least be a man about it. I get that there are serious consequences and lawyers should be used to protect himself. But I'm not hearing..."how can I best protect myself so that I can garuantee that I can support my child for at least 18 years?"

All the economics people here...what would a $3000 trust yield after 18 years?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This rings home for me. I have 2 kids and despite my Dominican background I would do anything for them. Any grown man looking to avoid paying a few thousand pesos a month is no better than a thug from la Mina. I know the old adage of when in Rome... but I think that doesn't apply to your own offspring.

This guy needs to be better than a typical arrogant misogynistic dominican. I can't express in words how disappointed I am to hear this

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
This rings home for me. I have 2 kids and despite my Dominican background I would do anything for them. Any grown man looking to avoid paying a few thousand pesos a month is no better than a thug from la Mina. I know the old adage of when in Rome... but I think that doesn't apply to your own offspring.

This guy needs to be better than a typical arrogant misogynistic dominican. I can't express in words how disappointed I am to hear this

Fully agree, having a son and soon to have our second child...

I have also seen occasionally, how kids are treated in the DR, and always say to my wife, that it was not the decision of the kid to be born, but only that of the parents. No child deserves to suffer due to problems/stupidity that the parents have. If one parent was with the other half due to mistake or something, that?s also not the problem of the child...

A very distant friend of mine had a daughter with a girl from the DR, while he lives in Europe, and he even has photos of his daughter in his home, despite the fact that he and the mother are no longer together. He visits his daughter regularly etc...

Apr 7, 2014

^hijacked the thread because you have nothing better to contribute.

France does have arrangements for the collection of child support but like most cases if they got a petition from DR there would be a currency difference which would make it onerous for the petitioner in the DR to actually get the money. The number one hindrance is that fraud is widely known to exist at all levels in DR government operations.
Also, the court most likely wouldnt know what to set payment at anyway. They can presume "rich foreigner" status and end up with nothing because you were never rich. Or they could set the amount based on domestic levels and she would lose out because you are sending her more money than the government would require anyway.