Greetings From San Pedro de Macoris

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Short, long story: I have been a member of this site since 2011. Reading it daily since 2008. This is my first day posting because I always had problems completing the sign-in process, and never followed through on it. Shame on me. Oh well, hopefully that's behind me now.
If anybody has any questions regarding San Pedro de Macoris or the surrounding area, feel free to ask.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Short, long story: I have been a member of this site since 2011. Reading it daily since 2008. This is my first day posting because I always had problems completing the sign-in process, and never followed through on it. Shame on me. Oh well, hopefully that's behind me now.
If anybody has any questions regarding San Pedro de Macoris or the surrounding area, feel free to ask.

Welcome, I live in San Pedro too, close to Justice *Palace, there is any body else also from San Pedro?*

NYpalPatio

Oct 26, 2016
WOW I have been looking for people from SPM for awhile and nobody is ever from there. I have family from there. As a kid I went a few summers but haven't been back as an adult. How r things there? Don't remember it being to appealing, are things better now?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Welcome, I live in San Pedro too, close to Justice *Palace, there is any body else also from San Pedro?*

Thanks, in all of my years here I haven't come across too many posters or postings related to San Pedro. Maybe we can change that.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
WOW I have been looking for people from SPM for awhile and nobody is ever from there. I have family from there. As a kid I went a few summers but haven't been back as an adult. How r things there? Don't remember it being to appealing, are things better now?
Well, I'm here once again if you need any help on anything. For how long? That's the magic question. I started out here when I was a newbie, spent about five years here, and didn't like some things, so I moved "out west" to San Juan de la Maguana. Another place that doesn't get too much air time on here. That experiment didn't work out as well as planned, although I love it "out there". So, I returned to my old stomping ground of San Pedro....again, for now.
Unfortunately, the news here in San Pedro is worse than when I left. The economy is pretty much non-existent. With the closing of several hotels in nearby Juan Dolio, and opportunities opening up in Bavaro, many people have either left San Pedro or are unemployed. The main hotel on the Malecon, the Howard Johnson affiliated Hotel Macorix has been closed since December 31st 2013, and sits there abandoned. Without that hotel the trickle down effect on the economy here has been devastating. The university (UCE) has also seen a major decrease in foreign students (mainly Puerto Rico), so the neighboring community of Barrio Hazim (once the premier location), has 100's of apartment vacancies, as well as houses for sale. Owners who paid top dollars for either their apartments or houses, all want top dollar for their properties and either don't understand or don't care that this will never happen. So, the properties sit there vacant with 'Se Vende' signs. All in all, I will probably be on the move once again, as I really can't bring myself to shifting over to Juan Dolio. Been there, done that. Hey, at least the Estrellas Orientales are 3-0 to start the season heading into tonight's game.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
You say Hazim is overpriced, what are rents like in that area?*
Yes, I mention it's overpriced, but by San Pedro standards. Barrio Hazim was a once a premier location here in San Pedro, which catered to many doctors, lawyers, university professors, established business owners, and the university's respective foreign student base. It has changed much over the last several years, but the prices have actually risen, by owners trying to recoup their losses. There are still big, tacky, gaudy houses, but the infrastructure in the neighborhood has not been kept up. Storm drains are clogged with several years worth of crap, so streets are prone to flooding, and are actually crumbling under your feet. So much for a "premier" neighborhood. I do have a 24 hour police patrol, they pass by once every 8 hours, the luz is 24 hours, but expensive, and the water is horrible....even by DR standards.

Sep 4, 2012
SPGringo,

What are people living off of now days?

I used to stop at SPM on my way to the deep East (Higuey, Bavaro, Punta Cana) and back then factories close to the university were full up with thousands of employees. Clearly remember the turmoil driving through it.

The Malecon was my preferred place, the music, food and people were a mixture for great times.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
SPGringo,

I used to stop at SPM on my way to the deep East (Higuey, Bavaro, Punta Cana) and back then factories close to the university were full up with thousands of employees. Clearly remember the turmoil driving through it.

The Malecon was my preferred place, the music, food and people were a mixture for great times.

The Western Unions all around town always seem to have a line at least 15 deep, every day, from open to close, so people are receiving money from whatever "sources" they may have in this big world of ours.
Baseball is still a very big business.
Motoconchos are probably the number one form of work for men, right up there with loansharks, oh, I mean prestamistas.
After that, every corner has a barber shop of anywhere from 1 to 4 people who can only offer buzzcuts that take an hour to complete.
There are hundreds of "upstart" boutiques, usually the girlfriend/wife/sister/aunt or so forth of the guys who run the barber shops, who buy their cheap, knockoff, crap clothing by bulk in Santo Domingo, and sell here (or try to) at inflated prices.
The best employers here are probably CEMEX, the Cable companies, McDonalds, Jumbo and Iberia.
As far as the Malecon, it's gone down hill as well. The Hotel (Hotel Macorix) closed down, taking it's late night disco with it. One other disco, Mi Sitio, has also been shuttered for a few years now. Leaving only Caf? Caribe as the malecon's only disco, or venue for live music on the malecon. In the last few years though many visiting artists have been opting to play at a disco across from Jumbo. Two big colamadones on the malecon have also been shut for several years now, leaving only the "casetas" and the street median for people to sit and drink. All in all it's pretty depressing, and nothing like the way it used to be.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
SPGringo,

I'm sorry. When you mentioned factories, I was thinking of the sugar mills. Sorry, I'm dating myself. You're referring to the Zona Francas, which are nothing more than modern day sweatshops. Yes, this area is tucked behind their high walls, between UCE and myself, where people work in shifts 24 hours a day to fabricate articles of all kinds, to ship to the United States, who then ship the items back here at US prices, where Dominican retailers then put their surcharge on it. Are you following me? Yes, that pair of Levis that I may buy here at a crazy price, was made around the corner from me, shipped to the US, exported to DR, and then sold to me. And it just starts with Levis. You name it, they make it in the Zona Franca. The employees get paid $50 every Friday. Yes, $50, 2000 pesos for 6 days of work. Isn't free trade great?

Sep 4, 2012
here people work in shifts 24 hours a day to fabricate articles of all kinds, to ship to the United States, who then ship the items back here at US prices, where Dominican retailers then put their surcharge on it. Are you following me? Yes, that pair of Levis that I may buy here at a crazy price, was made around the corner from me, shipped to the US, exported to DR, and then sold to me. And it just starts with Levis. You name it, they make it in the Zona Franca. The employees get paid $50 every Friday. Yes, $50, 2000 pesos for 6 days of work. Isn't free trade great?

Seriously?