Greetings From San Pedro de Macoris

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yes, things here in San Pedro are not better unfortunatly. Thanks god Hodelpa hotels took over old Talanquera and now is called Emotions and is very sucessfull now, also old Metro Country Hotel now called Hodelpa Gardens, and they bough the old Melia to reopen next yea, they bring some more little life into Juan Dolio. Costa Caribe is open but turist has a lot complains about the hotel.

The free Zone is not what used to be before, most of the factories closed, there are some new ones but are small and are bringing back new jobs slowly.

I have a lot time writting here and never found some boy close to my area, I loose my old account and had to re open a new one. Hazim here is one of the best areas to live but yes its kind expensive too.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Welcome. Apparently you can write much better than sign-in :)
Thanks. LOL. I've sat reading this site for years, and you don't know how many times I wanted to jump into conversations. Found myself going nuts some times. I still don't know what I was doing wrong all these years, but I'm here now.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
i couldnt get back my old account and just open a new one. hahahah
That was one of my problems. The site wouldn't allow me to open a different account with the same email address. I've had the same email address for over 20 years. Yeah, I know.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
SPGringo,

What are people living off of now days?

I used to stop at SPM on my way to the deep East (Higuey, Bavaro, Punta Cana) and back then factories close to the university were full up with thousands of employees. Clearly remember the turmoil driving through it.

The Malecon was my preferred place, the music, food and people were a mixture for great times.
When was the last time you were here?

NYpalPatio

Oct 26, 2016
Apartment or house?

Apartment.*

Incredible, so basically SPM is at the very minimum a decade away from economic recovery and chances are it's probably double that based on your description?*

What about the "suburbs". Heard about a project called Naime. Have you been there or have any information about it Sanpedrogringo?

Thanks again for all your info up until now.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
To SPM 2012, I travel back and forth to SDQ work related around the clock.
You would definitely see many changes, especially in regards to the Malecon. Even the "locals" say it's not the same, and these are the people I spend my time with. I don't steer people wrong. Hell, I'm here again (for now). If you were to come to enjoy the Malecon for a few beverages, I would recommend doing it in the afternoon, rather than the evening. BUT, with December creeping upon us in a bit, that will change as well. The holidays increase the number of people tremendously, as can be expected.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
To SPM 2012, I travel back and forth to SDQ work related around the clock.
But also keep in mind there are no really "good" options for hotels here in San Pedro any more. There are a few apartahotels located near Jumbo, but the main one on the Malecon is closed. I don't recommend drinking or driving to anybody, and I'm actually a strong voice against it. One option would be to grab a room at one of the apartahotels, grab a cab, hit the malecon and enjoy yourself, and then return to your room later on. Or grab a room somewhere in Juan Dolio, and taxi it over to San Pedro.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Apartment.*

Incredible, so basically SPM is at the very minimum a decade away from economic recovery and chances are it's probably double that based on your description?*

What about the "suburbs". Heard about a project called Naime. Have you been there or have any information about it Sanpedrogringo?

Thanks again for all your info up until now.
1. Apartments here in B/Hazim start around 6000 pesos. Houses start around 13000 pesos. Keep in mind those are starting prices. All depends on what you're looking for. Apartment in a house; Apartment in a low-rise building (4 stories); Apartment in a high-rise building (10 stories).
2. I thought San Pedro was a decade away from maybe, possibly, getting their act together to begin thinking about a path to advancement 8 years ago, 2008. Sadly, it has been the exact opposite.
3. Suburbs would be Ramon Santana, Consuelo, or Juan Dolio....not Naime.
4. In 2011, I was looking for a new place to live. The owner of the house I was renting had to sell. I spent a lot of time searching and investigating for some place nice. Everybody I knew here in San Pedro (again, authentic Petromacorisanos) told me the nicest place to live was B/Hazim and in the future would be Residencial Naime. I couldn't find anything in B/Hazim at the time, as yes, it was very popular with the university staff and students, and seemed to be fully occupied. Res. Naime was pretty much still under construction and pretty raw. It was a new development at the time. Again, not a suburb, but kind of like creating a new neighborhood, on the back strand of an old one. Here we are five years later, and B/Hazim is a shell of what it used to be, and Res. Naime, which is now referred to as B/Naime still looks the same. A barren construction site. For every house that was constructed, there are 6 or 7 that started and then stopped, and there are even more vacant lots. For the houses that are completed, there have been many burglaries committed allegedly by the Haitian construction workers who work/squat there.
I wouldn't recommend it at this point in time.
It would be easy for people to read this information, and say "well, why the hell is this guy there if he hates the place?" It's actually quite the opposite. I started my DR experience here in San Pedro, and have many fond memories. I have had more good experiences than bad. I have been blessed to have met many good people along the way. I find myself here, once again, actually pulling for the place. I love the Estrellas Orientales, and go to many games. I would like it to succeed. I believe there is potential, and the people here deserve it. But, the types of projects that are needed here for longterm economic growth are just not on the table right now. At least not here in the Municipio of San Pedro de Macoris.

NYpalPatio

Oct 26, 2016
1. Apartments here in B/Hazim start around 6000 pesos. Houses start around 13000 pesos. Keep in mind those are starting prices. All depends on what you're looking for. Apartment in a house; Apartment in a low-rise building (4 stories); Apartment in a high-rise building (10 stories).
2. I thought San Pedro was a decade away from maybe, possibly, getting their act together to begin thinking about a path to advancement 8 years ago, 2008. Sadly, it has been the exact opposite.
3. Suburbs would be Ramon Santana, Consuelo, or Juan Dolio....not Naime.
4. In 2011, I was looking for a new place to live. The owner of the house I was renting had to sell. I spent a lot of time searching and investigating for some place nice. Everybody I knew here in San Pedro (again, authentic Petromacorisanos) told me the nicest place to live was B/Hazim and in the future would be Residencial Naime. I couldn't find anything in B/Hazim at the time, as yes, it was very popular with the university staff and students, and seemed to be fully occupied. Res. Naime was pretty much still under construction and pretty raw. It was a new development at the time. Again, not a suburb, but kind of like creating a new neighborhood, on the back strand of an old one. Here we are five years later, and B/Hazim is a shell of what it used to be, and Res. Naime, which is now referred to as B/Naime still looks the same. A barren construction site. For every house that was constructed, there are 6 or 7 that started and then stopped, and there are even more vacant lots. For the houses that are completed, there have been many burglaries committed allegedly by the Haitian construction workers who work/squat there.
I wouldn't recommend it at this point in time.
It would be easy for people to read this information, and say "well, why the hell is this guy there if he hates the place?" It's actually quite the opposite. I started my DR experience here in San Pedro, and have many fond memories. I have had more good experiences than bad. I have been blessed to have met many good people along the way. I find myself here, once again, actually pulling for the place. I love the Estrellas Orientales, and go to many games. I would like it to succeed. I believe there is potential, and the people here deserve it. But, the types of projects that are needed here for longterm economic growth are just not on the table right now. At least not here in the Municipio of San Pedro de Macoris.

That is crazy, I've been telling my mom the same that every time you think that it's getting closer to getting better it get's further away.*

As far as living though, if you have a means of generating income outside of business dealings with SPM, how is that? Can you live comfortably? Are things accesible without having to travel to the capital? This would be for an adults with no children? While not the ideal place to settle down, the fact that I have ties there and small relationships make it "convenient". Also cost of living appears to be less that in other places.*

Back to the burbs, Consuelo...gosh, away from the city yes but even less desirable than the "city" of SPM. I was under the impression that Naime was just outside of the main city on the way to Hator Mayor. As far as I've been told there are 3 parts, with the 3rd being the newest and mostly vacant but that 1 and 2 were pretty far along. And that they had paved streets and lighting. Apparently they also were suffering for massive black outs for long periods but that supposedly has subsided. So do you think this area will go the way of Villa Espa?a which I've heard is so bad that it has become a dumping ground for bodies?

It's incredible how that city just doesn't respond and grows. It seems every baseball player that makes it gets up and leaves to the capital. I remember back in the days how the Howard Johnson was the spot on the weekends. The only other place that was as popular was 7:14 going way back. Now based on what you have described there is nowhere to go. My cousin said the club to the Jumbo is filled with knuckle heads and chapiadoras. Said it doesn't make for a good night.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
@NYpalPatio:
1. And yes, #1, never argue with your Mom, she's your MOM.
2. In regards to your living question, only you know what your standard of living is, and what your expectations are. Some people can adapt, others can't. I did. Not only for San Pedro de Macoris, or the Dominican Republic as a country, but anywhere in this world...if you're not willing to throw out everything you know where you now live, and adapt to your new surroundings, you won't survive. Then again, you could move into a cookie cutter, 12 foot wall, palace guarded, oceanfront view type of environment, and everything would be peaches and cream. Ignorance is bliss.
3. Cost of living. SPM to which other places?
4. Consuelo. Correct. I'm not a fan. Correct again, it is on the route to Hato Mayor, but that is one long route. B/Naime is before the cabanas and the Autopista del Este. Check Google Maps. Probably the "farthest out" neighborhood, but not a suburb.
5. Black outs? Welcome to La Republica Dominicana.
6. Villa Espana, a dumping ground for bodies? Don't believe the bs. Totally untrue.
7. I've got a huge beef with the ballplayers from here. Yes, they ALL do for their families, but nothing else. Nice houses. Nice cars. Bling/Bling and flow. Period. The only person that does anything for the community here in SPM is Robinson Cano. Much props to him. And no, I was never a Yankees or Mariners fan. He's legit. The thousands of others? Nothing. Johnny Cueto puts on a nice fireworks display on New Year's Eve, but that's about it. Maybe if some of them joined together, developed a true foundation, and restored the hotel, and some other businesses on the Malecon here, things would start to liven up. Don't hold your breath.
8. I mentioned the club next to Jumbo, because that is how I refer to it. I have never been there, nor do I plan to. Knuckleheads yes, and I believe the chapiadoras have too much respect for themselves to go there.
9. Try Juan Dolio. Socialize in the Malecon, or with your small relationships in SPM, but take the 15 minute ride over to Juan Dolio to rest your head.

NYpalPatio

Oct 26, 2016
@sanpedrogringo
Cost of living compared with larger cities like Santo Domingo and Santiago. Also although noisy with all the bikes, San Pedro is slower than those albeit larger cities.

Regarding Villa Espa?a, you are there so if you say it's not true ok. But I actually heard that from some one who owns a solar there and was a little distraught that the project had not taken off. Said there were many mejoras all over the place for sale.

As far as Juan Dolio, the times I have stayed in SPM in the past (long ago) I stayed there. Didn't spend much time there but did just rest my head there.

So if you don't mind answering, what will determine whether you leave SPM again or stay?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
@sanpedrogringo
Cost of living compared with larger cities like Santo Domingo and Santiago. Also although noisy with all the bikes, San Pedro is slower than those albeit larger cities.

Regarding Villa Espa?a, you are there so if you say it's not true ok. But I actually heard that from some one who owns a solar there and was a little distraught that the project had not taken off. Said there were many mejoras all over the place for sale.

As far as Juan Dolio, the times I have stayed in SPM in the past (long ago) I stayed there. Didn't spend much time there but did just rest my head there.

So if you don't mind answering, what will determine whether you leave SPM again or stay?
I've been looking at this message since you posted, and I've spent all week trying to figure out a proper response. I still don't have one. Sadly, it's a cruel reality I now face. All of the things that I need to happen to remain in San Pedro are not on the drawing board. Now, nor in the future. It's time for me to go. This is different than the average gringo story of false expectations or fantasies. I DO know what is possible in this country, and therefore San Pedro, as I have traveled to many other places here in the Dominican Republic. Before San Pedro can evolve into 2016, they need to reach 1950.